• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Daily Calories

Oasiscalm

I would be interested to hear from those who count calories how many calories do you take in a day?

I'm currently at 5ml in 10ml, 6mths post op and I'm have a real struggle with maintaining steady weight loss.

I have been using the myfitnespal app and record everything, I see that when I eat between 1000-1300 calories a day my weight loss grounds to a halt, and I may even put on weight.

I generally try to aim for 800 calories a day and have recently started a proper exercise regime.

Some comments from other calorie counters would be great.

Does it grind to a halt when you eat 1300 following eating 800? As in when you increase the calories does it slow down? What happens if you keep eating 1300 for say a month? Would you maintain or put on? Or even loose?

What calories are you eating? Are you eating too many carbs? Do you get most of your cals from protein?

Are you doing any exercise?

I eat 1000-1200 per day and never get near my carb allowance, I try to eat lots of protein (around 60g) and no more than 100g carbs. I also go for low fat.

Typical day for me:

7am
Sachet of cappucino 40 cals
Weetabix and milk 90 cals

10.30am
Yeo valley fat free Yog 90 cals
cup raspberries 50 cals

1pm
Cuppa soup, 100 cals
Muller greek style yog 100 cals

4pm Banana 70cals

7pm
Half a Lasange ready meal 300cals
aero chocolate mousse 99cals

10pm
Horlicks 170cals

This lot comes to 1109 calories and I feel greedy after I have eaten all that!

I have definitely changed my eating habits I now have 4 or 5 small meals a day rather than snacking all day and a big meal at night.

my optimum weight loss comes in around 1100 cals, currently I'm sing about 5-900 per day in the gym, so net is quite low. My provide suggests 1000 cals but its finding the right level for you.

I actually focus more on carb and protein content.

It maybe that 1000-1300 is too high, or that you're not using enough via exercise which if you log via Mfp is very overestimated. What happens if you're on 800?

When I am at 800 cals/day I will lose approximately 2lbs a week. If I spend more than a few days at or around 1000- 1200 cals the scales will either freeze or start creeping up. I weigh myself every morning so I think I have a good insight into the effects of the calories.

I told my surgeon that at 1000 cals I don't lose weight and he just shrugged and said "we'll you know you find it hard to lose weight. Are you doing any exercise." And that was the end of discussion.

Shamefully I do think I'm taking in too much carbs. I have in the past two weeks started a proper exercise regime opposed to ad hoc exercise, so I will see how that goes.

I also am not much of a meal eater, so I generally have one small meal a day and then graze and I think it is these foods which are doing me no favours. Which ironically was the reason my surgeon advised me not have a band and go for a sleeve, but I would not be told :mad:

if that amount of cals works for you then I don't see an issue, average loss with a band is 1-2lb per week, and it is about finds where we Lose that best :)

Are you able to change the foods you graze on? Or are you in fact in need of more restriction from your band and therefore a fill to help stop the grazing?

Does it grind to a halt when you eat 1300 following eating 800? As in when you increase the calories does it slow down? What happens if you keep eating 1300 for say a month? Would you maintain or put on? Or even loose?

What calories are you eating? Are you eating too many carbs? Do you get most of your cals from protein?

Are you doing any exercise?

I eat 1000-1200 per day and never get near my carb allowance, I try to eat lots of protein (around 60g) and no more than 100g carbs. I also go for low fat.

Typical day for me:

7am
Sachet of cappucino 40 cals
Weetabix and milk 90 cals

10.30am
Yeo valley fat free Yog 90 cals
cup raspberries 50 cals

1pm
Cuppa soup, 100 cals
Muller greek style yog 100 cals

4pm Banana 70cals

7pm
Half a Lasange ready meal 300cals
aero chocolate mousse 99cals

10pm
Horlicks 170cals

This lot comes to 1109 calories and I feel greedy after I have eaten all that!

I have definitely changed my eating habits I now have 4 or 5 small meals a day rather than snacking all day and a big meal at night.

Hi there

I would just be careful of this diet long term as a bander. You are eating a lot of slider foods.

Did you get dietician advice, I was told the crunchier the better?

Lots of lean meats, fish, salads, veg, fruit, ryvita etc. I never eat soup now unless I have had a fill.

Not sure who your provider is and if this is there advice then stick with it but just wanting to let you know other options.

As for the cals maybe stick with the higher cals for 2-3 weeks for your body to adapt and you may start losing again, if not drop back down.

It really is trial and error x x

Hi there

I would just be careful of this diet long term as a bander. You are eating a lot of slider foods.

Lots of lean meats, fish, salads, veg, fruit, ryvita etc. I never eat soup now unless I have had a fill.

Not sure who your provider is and if this is there advice then stick with it but just wanting to let you know other options.

As for the cals maybe stick with the higher cals for 2-3 weeks for your body to adapt and you may start losing again, if not drop back down.

In regards to the slider food, should it be avoided because of calories/ high fat etc or because of low fibre.

How does it effect the bandsters long term.

Thanks

Slider food = food that won't stay in the pouch for long, ie it slides through.

So yes, it can be high fat but ultimately they just won't keep you full x

Thanks Mazza.

In the info I got from THG it said that the crunchier the food the more contractions your stomach did to push the food through. This in turn presses on some part of the stomach that gives you the full feeling????

Something like that! I'm no expert but do know crunchier the better.

I do find it works for me.

Just want to help people if I can that's all.

In regards to the slider food, should it be avoided because of calories/ high fat etc or because of low fibre.

How does it effect the bandsters long term.

Thanks

You will find that a lot of slider foods are those which in terms of calories and aren't "good". Cakes, biscuits, chocolate are slider foods. You can get slider foods which are better in terms of that and it doesnt make them wrong or mean you shouldn't eat them.

The idea of drier and crunchier foods is that it remains in the top pouch for longer, therefore keeping you fuller for longer, so working with the band to reduce amounts you will eat.

If you find you struggle eating wise, in terms of what you eat, or amouns or o sty within calories limits or if you feel lots of hunger, slider foods are the ones to avoid.

Hi there

Hi ya, my current diet is all slider foods as I am just finishing my 4th week post op so the mushy stage.

I know about the need for crunch and when I get to that stage I will obviously add it. I am THG too and have followed their advice too the letter.

I am looking forward to the solid stage. I have 2ml in a 10ml band and have some restriction but will need a little bit more I suspect.

I didn't realise you we're on mush stage ha ha. Thought it was a bit sloppy lol x x

Mush was my favourite stage to be honest still enjoy it after a fill x

my provider advise was different when I was banded didn't spend weeks on sloppy mushies etc all back to normal in a few weeks ,
iv always lost best on 800-900 cals a day even less at times but I never got hung up on carbs protiens etc just had as balanced a diet as I could

the new vid I watched in banding clinic few months back said that all food in pouch passes thru in about 2 mins as this is how stomach works which is very different to how I thought the band worked I thought food stayed in pouch for hours but the few mins it is in there is enough for the receptors to recognise full

to the op sounds like maybe you need a small tweek fill to tighten up slightly

Back