• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Day 1 of orlistat today- nervous

vicky_notts

Day 1 of orlistat today. I'm so nervous about taking that first pill. Chosen to have Special K with skimmed milk for breakfast. Hope that's ok. Anyone using them too and want to share menu ideas as I feel stuck already. I'm vicky_notts on my fitness pal if anyone wishes to add me too x

Hey I had oralistat for ages. No oily food for sure. I got on really well with crackerbread, laughing cow light and ham for lunches but any topping like egg or tuna would be
Good. Sauces with food generally made me worse but then again most of them have loads of sugar in. The key thing is that it reduces the
Amount of fat you can digest so of its low in fat
You should be okay! :)
Good luck! X

I used Orlistat am sure you will be fine, If you eat anything whats fatty or greasy. make sure you go to the toilet even if its just to brake wind. because what goes in. must come out. you will learn over time, what to eat and not to eat. they are good though. I lost over 3 and a half stone on them. the thing was at the time when I finshed the tablets. I ended up putting the weight back on. goodluck with your wl hun x

Hi Vicky, In the past I have taken Orlistat for up to two years at a time. They have a bad press for causing the most horrendous accidents at the most inconvenient times, however , in my experience that only happens when you abuse the rules. I risked a burger and chips once and paid the price, but as long as you keep your fat intake low you will be absolutely fine. You will be more sensitive to their effects during the first weeks so keep an eye on the fat content of what you eat during these early days, once your body is used to the drug you can relax a little more but of course you still need to be careful. Honestly, it is not difficult so please don't worry.

Hi,

I was on Orlistat for almost 2 years and in that time lost about 30lbs on it. You will probably end up having a couple of "accidents" when you're on it, so as has been suggested by others, if you think you need to go to the toilet then go and don't try and hold off. :eek: And don't be too shocked by what you see if you've had a high fat content meal - it's liquid fat. (Sorry just thought you needed to be prepared for that, as it can be a shock).

After awhile you will work out what foods are ok and what ones aren't, anything with a high fat content is definitely a no no. I don't know how much you want to lose whilst on Orlistat but after 2 years on it and only slow weight loss in the last 6 months my weight loss stopped.

My problem was always quantity of food, it was always healthy but just too much, so I only got so far on Orlistat because there wasn't a very high fat content in my diet and the weight loss stopped and occasionally went up.

Use it as a tool to get you kick started on whatever weight loss road you are going down, but please do not think of it as a "master cure" because it isn't and if you believe it is, then unfortunately you will be disappointed. My time on Orlistat was the start of my journey that helped me get rid of some weight prior to surgery.

One thing I would suggest though, if you pay for your prescriptions have a look at getting a pre-paid card especially if you're on any other meds as it will save you money.

All the best.

AE.

Its a long time in my past that I used this, but you will soon get used to the foods you can eat - :) good luck to you!

Hi there

I think the basic rule of thumb for this is to check saturated fats!!! It's all about the fat - not carbs or sugar as such with these tablets.

Weight watchers is based on sat fats so you could try using a few of the ideas there with "low points " to help you avoid accidents.

Absolutely gruesome if you overeat the wrong foods but an amazing aid to losing weight :)
Good luck!
X

good luck with it, i losted ever 6 stone on them as longas youstick to the rules like everyone else has said your be fine

Hi Vicky Ive been on them for about 3 wks now. I think you will be fine by the sounds of it. I did have an accident as someone pointed out ..i passed wind as they make you very windy!! And yes i passed a large amount of very orange oily substance..luckily I was in the house and was able to change as it came through my pants and jeans...so could you imagine if that had happened whilst out in a busy shopping centre etc. I always try to make my way to a bathroom if I want to pass wind but its sometimes very difficult I waer a pad as Im frightened (but not to scare you). You get used to your body adjusting to them ...you just have to really think about what you are eating, which is a good thing with these tablets. I eat a lot of veggies, salads etc I try to keep away from things like chips/burgers and red meats. I stick to grill chicken /fish soups etc. I have to lose two stone in six months and go back to hospital. Im not sure whats going to happen next .What are they going to do when you have finished these tablets? x

I think from memory the rule of thumb is no more than 5g of fat in a meal ... or was it 5%? ignore me - having a brain fart! it is something like that though - there are 'bluey' forums for advice and menu ideas - maybe a visit to google? xxx

I think they are a great aid if they work for you. When I was on them, I was religious with my low fat diet and still seemed to have quite a loose motion. I didn't have any accidents or oily wind, but I found myself a little bit stressed incase I did. I hope it works for you and your body and you have lots of success! Everyone is different, keep an open mind :) xx

I've been on Orlistat (Xenical) before. It does work, but really punishes you if you test it!

What comes out is bright orange and oily, and you CANNOT hold it in. It also stains very badly.

If you stick to a low fat diet you'll be fine, but don't be tempted to test it.

I actually thought Reductil was a lot better, but I'm not sure if doctors still prescribe it, mine doesn't.

Back