• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

decisions decisions RNY or mini loop

carol.s

Hi

I have been for a endoscopy today and the surgeon asked did I want the mini loop or the full rny gastric bypass. I am unsure. I have read loads of info on line and I am still unsure. what do you think?

No not really. he said it was up to me but he did say that if I had heartburn problems then it be the RNY but as I haven't I could have either as both would be effective in treating my diabeties. To be honest I hadn't even considered the mini loop until he mentioned it.

carol

I have the mini loop but I do still suffer with acid reflux which was a symptom of my gastric band.
Rny is the gold standard as it's been around so long and has lots of supporting data. Surgery time is less with the loop but there isn't as much long term data as its relatively new. Ultimately don't let the bad/positive experience of one person sway your decision. Just research as best as you can and go back to your surgeon for more advice if you are struggling to choose x

I'm also facing this decision and it's so hard - I've tended towards the full bypass also based in its track record though it's probably not the best way to make the decision...

I went for the loop bypass only because it allows me to eat slightly more than the rny pouch would, which I think will suit me better long term plus come op day following strict pre op diet for 8 months I weighed 15 stone so didn't have masses of weight to loose
It's a very individual decision though isn't it, best of luck with whatever you decide Xx

I think track record is a good reason to pick the full bypass. I also think it depends what you want the op that you pick to do for you. Loose weight obviously.

I am having the bypass as its the best op to help with my weight and also its the best one for diabeties.

Thanks lolly.

You have actually brought up a important point for me to think about. When I researched the two ops. I immediately thought I want the full bypass cos of the restriction. But the loop not being quite as restrictive therefore I presume as you can eat a bit more you dont loose weight quite as fast so it gives the body time to adjust and may help with the loose skin that I am going to get iyswim. Also by the time I have my op I will still have a good 8 stone to loose but its not as much as much as it was.

Carol

You're very welcome Carol :)
I lost 3 stone prior to my op which was a hard slog but I weighed in at 15st on op day (20th Jan 2016) and today I weigh 12st6lb I think in comparison to others my weight loss hasn't been as drastic post op but this works for me because I didn't tell many people about the op so just looks like I'm still dieting but being the most successful I've ever been at it :)
I've set myself a personal goal of 10st9lb which will move me into the very top of normal bmi range, don't know how realistic this goal is mind you!!! Especially as I've been obese my whole adult life I've started to notice areas of skin looking a bit different lately in particular bingo wings and boobs but other areas not too bad at all think I will deffo need to start saving for a boob uplift/reduction and will just steer clear of sleeveless tops for the foreseeable haha
I'm sure you will make the best choice for you and your journey when the time comes X

I have been seriously overweight for the last 25 years or so.

It never really bothered me until the diabetes started getting worse and I had to have eye surgery and also although my brain still thinks I am still in my twenties my body doesn't feel the same. I still have 3 young children as well and I don't want them being left without a Mam cos the diabetes has got me. So the time was to do something once and for all about it. I just wish I had gone to the doctors earlier. I didn't think I qualified and I felt a fraud going as apart for the diabetes and being overweight there isn't anything wrong with me. compared to some that is. I have been quite lucky that the weight hasn't affected me more than it has.

that's about the goal I have set for myself as well Lolly about 10 to 11 st.

your weight loss is fantastic. I wont know what to do with myself if I loose that amount let alone more.

my friend keeps telling me she wont recognise me when I have lost weight, she has lost 3 st at slimming world and her looks have changed massivly.

I'm pre - op and find it really difficult to loose the required weight to qualify, this being one of the reasons I resorted to wls, so well done to everyone doing it. I'm also hoping the full bypass will help with appetite control as I can eat even when full - I had to go to eating disorders for this and they just said it was 'comfort' eating and there is no help offered on the nhs for this. I'm working on this independently using various techniques. As for loose skin - my boobs were already sagging , lol but I'm hoping exercise will help in this regard.

I have been seriously overweight for the last 25 years or so.

It never really bothered me until the diabetes started getting worse and I had to have eye surgery and also although my brain still thinks I am still in my twenties my body doesn't feel the same. I still have 3 young children as well and I don't want them being left without a Mam cos the diabetes has got me. So the time was to do something once and for all about it. I just wish I had gone to the doctors earlier. I didn't think I qualified and I felt a fraud going as apart for the diabetes and being overweight there isn't anything wrong with me. compared to some that is. I have been quite lucky that the weight hasn't affected me more than it has.

that's about the goal I have set for myself as well Lolly about 10 to 11 st.

your weight loss is fantastic. I wont know what to do with myself if I loose that amount let alone more.

my friend keeps telling me she wont recognise me when I have lost weight, she has lost 3 st at slimming world and her looks have changed massivly.

Can I just ask: When you say you've set a goal of - in your case 10 to 11 stone, what happens when you reach it? And how do 'bypassers' maintain their desired weight? Is it likely that it will still keeps coming off?

Jane x

I think most people reach a weight that their body likes and starts maintaining itself. I.e my body likes 9 st 5, I'm not doing anything differently to six months ago yet I still weigh the same now. When you work out the calories I need to maintain my weight its 1600. For about five days of every month I will track my calories on my fitness pal and I generally eat around this much each day. However if you are still losing when you don't want to then generally adding more fat and carbs helps to maintain I.e an extra glass of milk/ some real butter/ extra cheese or changing from low fat yoghurts/milk to full fat. Adding an extra snack of a piece of seeded Toast with natural peanut butter and real butter would add quite a few calories to your daily intake easily. You don't need to make drastic changes to maintain generally.

to be quite honest Jane I don't know as I haven't had the bypass done yet. But what Caroline says makes sense. I don't even know if the goal is realistically obtainable for me until I get the bypass and see how it goes.

I think most people reach a weight that their body likes and starts maintaining itself. I.e my body likes 9 st 5, I'm not doing anything differently to six months ago yet I still weigh the same now. When you work out the calories I need to maintain my weight its 1600. For about five days of every month I will track my calories on my fitness pal and I generally eat around this much each day. However if you are still losing when you don't want to then generally adding more fat and carbs helps to maintain I.e an extra glass of milk/ some real butter/ extra cheese or changing from low fat yoghurts/milk to full fat. Adding an extra snack of a piece of seeded Toast with natural peanut butter and real butter would add quite a few calories to your daily intake easily. You don't need to make drastic changes to maintain generally.
Hi Caroline - Can I just ask what surgery you have had. I am considering bypass but am really freaked out about what life is going to be like afterwards. I have a friend who has had it done who says it is all fine and, to be honest, I can see that she lives a pretty normal life. I am really scared that all my issues with food (boredom eating, emotional eating, bingeing etc) won't go away just because I have a bypass! Any reassurance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Julia

Back