• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dentists and wls

natclaire33)

Hi All

This may be a silly question I am due for a dental check up at the end of the month and I wanted to know did anyone tell there dentist that they were having weight loss surgery? If so what did you say to them etc.

I will be able to tell them more as I have the first appointment with the surgeon and his team five days before on the 23rd of may.

I am sorry if this sounded a strange question

Thanks everyone

Natalie (natclaire33)

i wouldnt think wls would affect dental appointments though not definate as i dont have a need for dentists

I had to tell mine mainly because i was due for a tooth to be removed which happened to fall while i was on the blood thinning drugs after the op LOL so i had to postpone appointment but not sure if it would affect anything normally lol although its quite nice now my dentist knows as shes so interested in the surgery and fascinated by my weight loss :)

unless gums lose weight im fine lol

Since my bypass I have had quite a lot of work done things are falling apart. The dentist insists its not my op but I think it is others have had similar problems, my dentist says that the damage is done when we are in our teens and it becomes more apparent now when we are in the 40 range age bracket. x I have spoken to others who have had similar problems with their teeth xx

Like Chrisa, I have heard of issues post wls. I am 4 months out and have no problems myself so far but I did advise my dentist of the surgery at my last check up and she marked my file.

Hi I asked the dentist who said teeth are determined in later life as to how we looked after them when we were younger do wls wouldn't impact.
Have had wisdom teeth out before op. Would rather have weight loss surgery than go through that again!

Hi I asked the dentist who said teeth are determined in later life as to how we looked after them when we were younger do wls wouldn't impact. Have had wisdom teeth out before op. Would rather have weight loss surgery than go through that again!
I would say the only time you could have trouble with your teeth and it's wls connected is if you don't take enough calcium x

My dentist said the same, I take my vitamins daily but my teeth are falling to bits, bits keep falling off and there is now ay I can afford to have them crowned at £214 a tooth think it is now, just can't do it. I have had a few root canals since my op but things do seem to be falling apart and I am by far the bravest when it comes to the dentist, soft as clarts, I don't know wether to cry be sick or go to the loo. Its one of those world stop spinning moments when it happens. Hate it truly do wish they would just take out what's left and have false teeth dentist says noooo can't do that. I have asked him on several occasions. I am 48 now my mam had all of hers out in her mid 20's. I had problems after I had my kids they said I had too much protein cannot blooming win. xx

My dentist said the same, I take my vitamins daily but my teeth are falling to bits, bits keep falling off and there is now ay I can afford to have them crowned at £214 a tooth think it is now, just can't do it. I have had a few root canals since my op but things do seem to be falling apart and I am by far the bravest when it comes to the dentist, soft as clarts, I don't know wether to cry be sick or go to the loo. Its one of those world stop spinning moments when it happens. Hate it truly do wish they would just take out what's left and have false teeth dentist says noooo can't do that. I have asked him on several occasions. I am 48 now my mam had all of hers out in her mid 20's. I had problems after I had my kids they said I had too much protein cannot blooming win. xx
so do you think it's calcium related or just everything in general xx

chrisa ask dentist to refer you top local maxilliofacial unit i got mine to do that they then had me in for surgery and removed all mine just keep on

Back