• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diabetes resolved?

I have been meaning to post about my diabetic appointment I had recently.

It was my first since the op and the dr told me that my diabetes has been completely resolved and I am being discharged from the clinic. Now I was a bit dubious about this as some drs say that once you are a diabetic you are always a diabetic and when I mentioned this to the dr she said that I was no longer a diabetic.

Having a legal head the first thing I thought of was what would happen with travel insurance for example if I didnt disclose that I was a diabetic, then had to make a claim, would they consider my insurance void if they saw my medicial records and considered that I had lied or not disclosed my diabetes. The dr said that I did not have to disclose it as I was no longer a diabetic. But to reassure me she asked a senior dr who came back and said that same thing that there is no need to tell medical insurance or anyone that I was diabetic cos I no longer am :)

She put it in writing to my GP and sent me a copy.

They confirmed that I no longer need check ups, foot examinations or eye tests yearly. She also mentioned that my levels were so good I wasnt even in pre-diabetic state, but before that. However, if I go back to the way I was I would become diabetic again.

I have my blood sugar monitor and I will check it myself from time to time.

All in all it was a very good result and I am dead pleased with it.

When I first heard at the info session pre op that my diabetes would go into remission was the moment I made up my mind to have this op and thankfully it did what it say on the tin, so to speak.

Thats so exciting to hear as my main focus for this op was to sort out my diabetes too!

Well done on doing so well.x

yaaaay well done thats fab news x

This is fab news.
The main reason I am hopefully going to have this op is to to get my diabetes under control(even better if in remission)
Thank you for this post..its very reassuring to hear.

I too have thought of these implications....travel/life insurance and the DVLA .
I too have been told once a diabetic always a diabetic....it will be interesting to hear other peoples take on this.

Surely they will keep an annual check up on you with blood tests?
anyhow good news ....whoop whoop!!!

Thank you for this post EB, great news you are in fact no longer diabetic! I had my bloods checked 10 days post op and my sugars were down to 9 on a fasting, am so plucking up the courage to go again... My practice nurse told me i'd always have to have the retinopathy tests etc, just shows you this like wls aftercare changes from pct to pct xx

My diabetes seemed to be resolved but then a few months back it reared its head again, but not in mega highs (had some double figures for a week or so) what I suffer now is hypos.
It has never even been hinted at, taking me off of the register, they said that they class it as I am diet controlled and so I will still be having the yearly checks etc I do have a family history of diabetes though so maybe that is why.
Good news that yours seems to have totally gone though.
Steph xx

I was/am type 2 diabetic, they said that because my weight was more than likely the cause of it then losing the weight and the dietary changes that would come from my surgery would resolve it, with me it hasnt though, Im probably just unlucky though lol
Steph xx

It's great news, I do hope that you are going to be lucky on this one... Steph... I suffer regular hypo's so sympathise with you... just another thing to manage...
Diabetes is such a curse...

Thinking of you all and hoping for better days for everyone xxx

Not sure to be honest, will be at the clinic on 25th though so will discuss it with them though.
Steph xx

I'm thrilled to hear you're no longer diabetic. What fab news!

Been reading on another forum about post-operative reactive hypoglycaemia - could spend pages describing it - much better if you Google it cos theres some interesting info about it.

Diabetes - mine was type 2 insulin controlled - took 11 months to resolve.

My care is GP based - they have mentioned taking me off the register but have decided to leave me be for a while cos I need the retinal photographs as I have some slight changes.

DVLA - had to reapply for my license last year - too them till May to make a decision and even though I'm no longer on insulin I've still been given a 3 year license - it is restricted because of my mobility but that didn't restrict the time on it before I became diabetic.

I was told once a diabetic always a diabetic because they are not sure of the precise mechanism why diabetes resolves and there haven't been enough WLS in sufficient numbers till recently for statistically viable research to have been done!

Don't forget the post-op reactive hypoglycaemia thingy!!

Angela xx

Steph I was going to say about post-op reactive hypoglycaemia, thats what I have and it isn't related to diabetes as I've never been diabetic. Mine was pregnancy induced, and since then its not a huge problem, but it was and so I can empathise!

My hubby is type 2, thats why he's hoping to get the op. He's tablet controlled, well I say controlled, a good day is when his level is lower than 12, I think the lowest has been 7, sometimes as high as 18 or 19. I've read that the op will cure it, so fingers crossed - if he gets it!

I've been Type 1 diabetic for 25 years and Type 2 for about 3 years. I was severely insulin resistant before I had the bypass, and that was one of my main reasons for having the op. After a shaky start back on the insulin, and 4 weeks after the op, my insulin dosage has come right down and I no longer need the metformin. I hope things continue to improve! *crosses fingers*

This is fab news.
The main reason I am hopefully going to have this op is to to get my diabetes under control(even better if in remission)
Thank you for this post..its very reassuring to hear.

I too have thought of these implications....travel/life insurance and the DVLA .
I too have been told once a diabetic always a diabetic....it will be interesting to hear other peoples take on this.

Surely they will keep an annual check up on you with blood tests?
anyhow good news ....whoop whoop!!!

Thank you. Yes, my GP will do a yearly blood test to check my sugar levels but I am hoping that it will stay these levels and I guess it is down to me to try and maintain that. I look forward to hearing how yours improves as well after your surgery

My diabetes seemed to be resolved but then a few months back it reared its head again, but not in mega highs (had some double figures for a week or so) what I suffer now is hypos.
It has never even been hinted at, taking me off of the register, they said that they class it as I am diet controlled and so I will still be having the yearly checks etc I do have a family history of diabetes though so maybe that is why.
Good news that yours seems to have totally gone though.
Steph xx

Thanks Steph. I guess different docs view it different and maybe it depends on how severe it was to begin with. I was only diagnosed last year and it wasnt that bad in that I was on metformin but not insulin.

Back