• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diabetes after bypass

Tubadale

Hi all, I'm having a bypass on the 24th Jan 2009 at Spire Hospital in Manchester.
I am at the moment a type 2 diabetic, using injected insulin.
I have read, and been told that after my opp there is a very good chance (about 80%)I might not need my diabetic medication. Or at the worst it would be greatly reduced.
If I no longer need my medication am I no longer a diabetic ?, or am I still diabetic but controlled now by diet alone ?.

Hey,

Not sure about your answer but I was in a similar position to you re. Diabetes.

I am a Type 2 uncontrolled (not anymore!) by tablets and insulin. I had my gastric bypass on the 25th November and my diabetes was still crazily outta control in hospital - when I came out I saw the diabetic nurse at Whipps X who restarted me on a sliding scale of insulin and increased my other diabetic tablet to the max.

2 weeks later I came off insulin and 1 of the diabetic tablets and am now only on Metformin 1g three times a day.

My bloods are within the magic 4-7 and I want off the Metformin plus the bp and cholesterol tabs too.

Rick x

Hi I was also type 2 before bypass which i took insulin and then tablets for. post bypass i am still classed as type 2 but no longer need medication and control it with diet. my blood sugars never rise above 6.5 now whereas before they would range from 5 to 13 depending on what i eat. the bypass has improved my health. good luck with it all x

Thanks for the info, I was a little confused as some said I would no longer be diabetic, or as I said would maybe only need tablets. :)

I was also a diabetic, type 2, prior to my banding.

So far I have stayed in the levels of a non diabetic, but as my surgeon said, it doesn't mean I am totally cured, just without symptons or complications now.

So effectively it is diet controlled.

This is an interesting thread because I have diabetes and was told that I might be one of those people which are cured of the disease. Here is a link about gastric bypass as a 'cure' for type 2 diabetes:
Diabetes May Be Disorder Of Upper Intestine: Surgery May Correct It

This article talks about how the re-routing of the bowel can 'cure' diabetes even before weight loss has started. I myself was able to go off my metformin within 2 days of my surgery, if you go by my sugar test results. I was given instructions by the hospital to take my morning dose of metformin, then test my blood 2x per day and only take my evening dose if I had a sugar level over 4 which never happened. I continued to take a once a day dose until I saw my GP last week who completely discontinued my metformin.

I think that I am now classes as someone who is 'cured'. I will have to check that out for sure.

HTH;)

hi all i thought i would say something thats happened to me a week or so ago. about 2 weeks after my op i had to go to my doctors to have one of those mot's done where they check you for different things.now ive had this done a few times over the year's now and everything has been ok i havent got any type of diabete's well i had a phone call from my doctors too say i have to go to hospital in the new year to have blood tests done.now i don't know anything about diabetes at all thay have said it's gone upto 6.4 don't know if thats high or not this reply was just too say mine's gone up and not down i'll come back in the future to let you know how i get on bye for andy

hi andy
I was told i had diabeties because my bloods read 6.4 and my last one was 7.1 and am now on 4x 500mg metformin daily which normally keep my daily readings down to about 7 which is still not that great .dont worry about the hospital they have brilliant support for diabities

Back