• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Did you tell???

Did you tell everyone that you were having weight loss surgery?

Really not looking forward to the 'helpful' comments to come! LOL! A lot of my friends and family will simply not GET it - if you know what I mean and I dont know if I've got the energy to try to convince them that it is the right decision! And dont really feel it is any of their business!

Thinking about trying to just keep it to me and hubby, (dont want to worry kids) but not sure if that is really feasible!

jacquie

Hi,

I basically told anyone and everyone that I was having surgery. My son is only seven and I made sure I explained to him what was being done, why I was having it done and the benefits it could bring.

He was anxious still, but knew everything that was happening.

I did get people saying well just go on a diet, and the "can't you just lose wait" to which I replied "obviously not, it's what I want to do".

I'm not ashamed of having surgery to lose weight, but understand that for many they prefer to keep it quiet. Although generally, people's comments I've found are more out of curiosity than anything else.

I tell anyone and everyone about my impending surgery...if they ask!

But it really is a private thing for you to decide yourself. You may find when you've lost a substantial amount that you do tell people! Especially larger friends who you think may have an interest x

ive told every one including my little boy, ive had 2 bands now and im awaiting to go to a bypass (long story) but ive found being honest has been good for me, but everyone is different with how they feel on this one x

I only told a handful of people. My very close friends, my parents and my husband. My children and my husband's family do not know - they think I had an op for a hiatus hernia!

I felt it was a private matter and I didn't want to have to deal with the negative comments and criticisms. I may feel differently later but at the moment I am glad that I have kept it to myself.

Everyone is different and you will do what is right for you x

You have to do what feels right for you. I personally have told everyone. When I went for one of my hospital appt the bariatric nurse asked me if I had told my children. I told her they know I am having the operation but not the risks etc and she suggested that I be totally honest with them should they ask. Luckily they haven't asked about risks as really don't feel as I want to discuss that with them only 12 and 15. Good luck with whichever you decide.

I told everyone who came into the shop I work in and most of my family and friends, but I didn't tell the people I knew would make snide comments or have an opinion on what I CHOSE FOR MY PERSONAL HEALTH REASONS.

If people can't support you in this then don't mention it to them. This is about you and ur future not theirs.

Do what will make YOU happy hun x :D

Hi there
I was selective about who I told as everyone has an opinion. I have been quite pleased with that decision as I havent felt great this week it has avoided me having to explain my decision and having people remind me it was a choice and I didnt have to have it done. I will tell people when I have lost some weight but I didn't want people watching me eat or keep asking if I have lost weight.
You will know your own mind on this but I always bear in mind two things - very few people can keep a secret and once you have told someone you cant untell them.
Good luck with whatever you decide
Jo XX

I didn't want to tell anyone, not even my mum but I needed her support when I went to my GP to ask for surgery. She then blabbed to my auntie and my sister so I took the plunge and announced it on facebook. I can honestly say I had no negative comments at all. I had lots of questions and people telling me they were worried for me but I had nothing negative.

It's entirely up to you.

I decided not to tell the world and his wife. My kids don't know, nor do my colleagues. I think there are about 4 people who know. The problem is going to be when/if I do lose weight. Do I own up to telling a big fib ? Do I pretend I have decided to lose weight spontaneously ? Or do I just brazen it out. Oooh. Tricky.

Soupie.

I think Soupie has hit the nail on the head. If you tell porkies now to people you regard as friends, will they still be friends when you lose the weight and they start worrying that your have some enormous problem and you have to spill the beans?

I have told anyone that notices the change in me, even some that don't. It is a personal thing but my experience is that you may come across 1 or 2 that want to lecture you, but generally most are interested and want to know the gory details.

I have told the world and then some lol. I think it is a brave decision to have WLS. I can honestly say that I have had no negative comments just 10 ton of support and like others I have amswered questions about the surgery and life after the surgery to people that are interested. Funnily enough I announced on facebook the other day that I had lost 100lbs and a friend that I have only recently regained contact with asked what my secret was - I boldly answered WLS in October last year - my friends all fell about laughing. A way the surgery can bite you on the bum is I told the children in my class that I was having an operation to help my knees get better (not technically a lie). I was off for 3 months with complications and the children have told their parents I was having an operation on my knee - so no parent EVER mentions my weight loss - I think they think it is a side effect from the knee operation lol lol lol. Do what is in your heart cause there is def no right or wrong answer xxxx

I've told everyone. Family, friends, work colleagues, hairdresser etc. the list goes on!

I've had no negative comments only people asking me questions, mostly about what I am allowed to eat now. At lot of people think you can only eat mashed up food for the rest of your life, so it's interesting telling them something different.

I tell anyone who'll listen.

I feel it was a brave decision - and I emphasise how hard it is and not the easy option.

I've lost 13 st. and some neighbours have avoided speaking to me - I hope thay don't think I've some terrible illness thats caused the weight loss cos I'm PROUD of losing the weight and how I did it - I'll be even more proud if I manage to keep it off over the years.

I told my family and especially my daughters 17 and 13 at the time - and of the risks - but they were already dealing with a dying dad (he's had a liver transplant so is now a well dad ):party0019:

But everyone is individual and deals with things in their own way

Angela xx

I guess I fear the 'told you so s' if it all goes pear shaped. Plus I really do worry about people trying to talk me out of it. I am quite biddable and may change my mind at the last moment. Horns of a dilemma..or what ?

I have only told my absolute nearest and dearest.
The main reason I do not want to tell everyone is that I don't want to have to have the same conversation a million times.
Anytime it is appropriate to tell people I will but I am just going with my gut feeling at the minute.

Good luck with your decisions.
x

For me i haven't had surgery yet but i've felt embarrassed about anything to do with my weight all my life. Even when i was having my children i wouldn't be weighed. So I'm going to keep very quiet about it, but when i am at target and am confident i don't think I'll care. good luck xxxx

Back