• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What did you tell people

In the begining I never wanted to tell anyone about my Op and I only told a few close freinds & family, But now if I see anyone I haven't seen in a long time, Its quite obvious to them i have lost a lot of weight and they ask how i have done it and I just can't lie to save my life so I just told them the truth, So far I have had postive results.
I look at it like this now, People are gonna talk anyways and I have done this for ME so now to be honest I don't give a hoot what people think. I won't go broadcasting it, but if people ask I just tell them now and they can think what they like!!

I have struggled with my weight ALL my life and I am sooo looking forward to having surgery, I havent told too many people at the moment, but the people I have told have all wished me all the very best of luck. My hubby daughter,sister and parents are all supporting me 100%. My best friends are also supporting me (all these people know how much I have struggled with my weight) If it bothers anyone then I really dont care!!! WLS (for severely obese) is the way forward these days.

I tell people if they ask me. TBH it is still early days but people are noticing and to my face when I tell them they are dead nice. And behind my back - well I don't know, could be totally opposite but you know what? I DON'T CARE. I did this for one person and that is ME. I am proud of what I am achieving and coping with on a daily basis and the major changes I am doing. After all, the bypass is a marvellous tool BUT that is all it is. I am the one losing the weight. I am the one who put myself through surgery and I am not going to hide behind any excuses. Of course, if people don't ask, I don't say anything!!! (hard to believe I know)!!!!!
xx

hello i tell the truth im proud off my bypass and the life it has helped give me back.people will gossip over anything and everything if they find me so fab ill let them gossip.x x x x x x x x x x x just tell them you had to have tummy surgery and you've changed your lifestyle x x x

I told everyone the truth I dont really care what people thought its my life not theirs. I have had no negativity from anyone

Im not having a go - really Im not but why on earth do you care what people think and what they say - we are doing this for us and noone else to give ourselves a better quality of life. Hang the world is what I say - does it matter how you lose weight as long as you can lose it and keep it off? I would take anyone who told me that the Bypass or a Band was a soft option down in a rugby tackle with a smile on my face. Tell you something else, there are more and more people opting for WLS now than even 3 years ago. Hold your heads up high - you are dealing with your problem your way - the way that works for you - nothing wrong with that.
woohooo well said hun:happy096::clap:

Oh I wouldnt lie if someone asked i woudl tell them I just dont want to broadcast it, I am a mum and go to school every morning and night and know what the playground parlament can be like.
Lets just hope it works hey otherwise I wont need to worry telling anyone anything x

I lost 19st in weight before and people were very complimentary, but to be honest they were not that interested in how I did it, just how I looked.

I did get some very negative reponses too, so I don't really care what people think this time round.

Im having my surgery on 15th November and can't wait for the weight to start falling off. I have told close work colleagues and obviously family, and if anyone else asks I will tell them.

I don't feel ashamed that I'm having this surgery, I starved for 2 years to lose it last time and was as miserable as sin, only to put loads of it back on, this time round it's for good and I'm proud of that.
:)

I fully understand where you are coming from. I too also lost 7 stone only to regain it all plus more. I felt like a total failure. I became a recluse. I have waisted far too much time and I never want to feel like that again.

I tell anyone who wants to know that I have had the surgery. I am very proud! I also tell them that this surgery is not the easy option and I will NOT lose weight unless I follow a healthy diet. I also tell them that I will regain this weight if I return back to my old bad ways.

for me, I think it would be harder for me to hide or cover up the truth about my by-pass.

Everyone needs to do what is best for themselves.

Last edited:
Hi all, I had a band almost a yr ago and haven`t told anyone apart from my hubby. In this time I have managed days out, meals out, nights out with friends and they r non the wiser. Obviously they are aware that I am now eating alot less but I just put it down to not being able to eat as much now as I used to and also me wanting to lose more weight so watching what I`m eating. I`ve also lost weight slowly, it hasn`t just dropped off. As for it being " the easy option " I beg to differ. Don`t anyone think that just cos they`re opting for surgery that they r taking the easy way out cos exercise and healthy eating is essential and unfortunately the band doesn`t do it all for ya. No one on this site is a failure just for choosing to have surgery, it is just a little tool to help xxx

Well maybe I'm odd or something but everyone I know is aware of what is going on.

My op is due on 27 November and I've booked a minimum 6 weeks off work (until I can drive again after the op). Work are very supportive (I'm in a school) the Headteacher is actually more worried for me because its a major op to go through (I'm down for a bypass).

Not one of my colleagues or friends feels that this is the easy way out, neither do my family (we are talking well in excess of 150 people here). They are extremely supportive.

I personally feel that the people I know realise how unhappy I have been being my current size. I've worked over the years to attempt to loose the weight and been unsuccesful, my friends, family and colleagues have all seen me attempt diets and fail and they see this operation as I do - a chance at last to succeed and are all there supporting me.

I havent ever thought to keep this secrety. This is not an easy route we are taking its just a different route which still requires hard work and dedication!

That's just my thoughts on this ...

Julie

I am at the stage with my weight and how my life is on hold because of it that I am proud to be seen to be having the op as to me it shows I am taking control of my life back and not letting the food control me. Everyone I know is aware of how badly I have struggled with the weight and are pleased for me to be having it and are behind me 100% my mother in law is scared stiff i will not survive but is ok with me the only negative response I have had is off my sister, she no longer talks to me as she begged me not to have it but i am and she no longer talks to me it hurts but i have more to lose by not having it my kids and hubby need me to live and if i don't then in 10 years time i could be dead so bypass here i come, bring it on and let me live again xxx sorry got carried away a bit there hee hee

Thank you to every1 that replyed it really helps to hear how others deal with things.
XXXX

Sod em all LOL, thats what I say Ive told every man and his dog I dont care what they think. Cause at the end of the day it only boils down to jelousy most of the time any-way, and you certainly know who your true friends are.:D Plus I was scared incase they came on this site and saw my mug shot LOL. Gail.xxxxxxxxxx

Go with what you feel comfortable with for me that was to be very honest and open with people.
I was at my uncles funeral after i had lost about 6 stone and one of my distant elderly relatives got very upset when she saw me and asked my sister if i was ill. When i told her that i wasnt ill and how i had lost weight she was thrilled for me but her initial reaction was that i had cancer.
i live in a cul-de-sac and a couple of the neighbours that i talk to knew about my surgery but the other week one of the girls who lives opposite me came over one morning as i was putting a lttle one in the car and said " i have just got to say how fab you look you have lost loads of weight" I said thanks and she then asked what diet i had been following when i told her that i had had a gastric bypass she said OMG how brave of you.
I really dont give two hoots because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind.
take care
carole

I've told everyone and have had very mixed reactions. My sons are totally supportive as is my edest brother who even lent me half the cost. That really surprised me as, being my big brother, I have never felt that he approved of anything I did. Some people surprise you don't they. At work I think that they feel I'm doing it for cosmetic reasons as I carry my excess 7 stone quite well, it's all over instead of just in one place. Surprising really, as I am a nurse I would have thought that they would appreciate the health aspect. I try not to let them see the pain I am in due to my weight and the arthritis in my knee and ankles and they don't know that, after work, I can't move until the next day, even though I take strong painkillers. We are a very busy ward and I know that my recovery time will leave them very short-staffed. But if I don't get it done, my consultant said that he can't see me being able to work in 2 years time. So I've just got to get it done.

So far I have only told my siblings, dad, cousin and 2 very close friends. I've told my mother and father in-law that I was considering it, but no further details. I'll wait and see how I feel closer to the time and after. Funny enough I wouldn't have a problem telling people about a band, but feel differently about a bypass. I think it's because I felt that only no hopers had a bypass and was totally bowled over when the endocrinologist suggested one. That was before I did my research and realised that the bypass is definitely the best option for me and before I discovered this wonderful site and wls support groups. So in some ways I feel I should spread the word once I'm on the losing side and people ask. However, I'll have to see how brave I am.

Rebirth

Back