• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Who did you tell???

I'm wondering how many people you told you were having weight loss surgery?

I'm hoping I can get away with just telling hubby!

I don't want to worry the kids, and don't think I have the energy to explain it to my mother in law! LOL! Too many of my friends just wont GET it, they are slim and always have been .... I can't be bothered with all the agro!

Not really their business anyway, also I think that part of me is disappointed that I couldn't maintain a normal weight on my own:mad:

seawaves

Hi, i think everyone is different after reading many posts i'm amazed how many people can keep it quiet, i think i've told just about everyone, family, people at work, friends, friends of friends anyone that wants to listen really!! so i think everyone is different.
A friend of mine went private in 2008 & she only told her parents (well they paid!!) & another friend of mine only told her husband because she said her family would be against it, so i think in this case you have to do what you think is best....good luck xx

Katastrophe

Love My Bypass !
Hiya, I only told my close friends and family at first. Then i told a couple of people at work.

After a while i didn't care who knew, i don't broadcast it but if someone asked me i wouldn't lie.... At the end of the day we're doing something to improve and hopefully elongate our lives... If people have a negative opinion they can kiss my a** :D

Cuppacocoa

wants the sunshine back!
Hi Jacqui,

Initially I just told my hubby, children and my parents. I didn't want the added pressure of everyone 'expecting' me to lose weight - there were no guarrantees it was going to work for me and I didn't want to 'publicly' fail at losing weight yet again.

It was after losing around 2 or 3 stone that people started noticing and asking questions, I didn't want to lie so I slowly started telling people. The reactions I received were all incredibly positive and soon I was happy to tell anyone and everyone!

Now, I love telling people and luckily, most seem fascinated by what I've had done! :D

Very best of luck to you,
Cuppa xx

SOON SLIM SUE

types with one finger
i told everone that was intersted and everyone that was not interested. i tell everyone, even people i don't know,
and whats more i now keep them updated with my weight loss.

I think I will tell as few people as possible until my weight is down a bit and I'm feeling more positive!

I have to be in the right frame of mind to handle the critics! LOL!

loubyl00

I want to shrink!
Hi Jacqui,
I know exactly how you feel. I have only told my husband and my eldest daughter. Maybe one day I will tell others, but I thinkyoua re right, some people would not understand. I know for myself I ahve to be careful becasue I don't want to knock my confidence.
Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

xxx

RoseA

Before the op I told my boss, close family members and a couple of friends. Now the weight is coming off I will consider telling others as and when the issue arises. Further down the line I think I'll be more confident about telling more people as the positive results will be obvious.

dottychic

I dont really care who knows, you will always get people who will knock you whatever you do..........thats their problem not mine lol If anyone says anything to me about it I will stick up for myself and my decision....good luck whatever you decide X :D

Mixman

Everybody I know and anyone that wants to know.

Keeps it simple for me :)

phatmomma

I've told people i know, and some people at work know also... It's not uncommon knowledge, am sure (as i work on a ward with 170+ staff) that it will be known by everyone eventually.. They can ask all the questions they like, make all the comments they like, but till they've walked in my shoes and carried the extra 10 stone around that i carry they can back the hell up!!!

I was very choosy who I told.

I only told bare family (not sister/brother in laws, nor nieces, nephews uncles etc). I also told a handful of my very closest friends as they needed to know for support post op.

I didnt tell anyone at work (although I suspect they might have guessed) and there are a large number of friends I didnt tell.

Some of those I told have told others and I didnt like this.

I didnt want the added pressure of having my progress watched and I only wanted to share my weight loss with those who care

sukay

Trying to focus on future
I just told close family, 4 very close friends.

Everyone else that asks I just say "I had to lose a bit of weight for surgery last year, and have just kept going"

not a lie - and not the truth.......

hth
:)

Twiggie

I've only told my youngest son because he lives with me so it's not something I could really hide. He's been incredibly supportive and has even taken it upon himself to do all his own cooking since I started my pre-op diet!

I have no intentions of ever telling anyone else as I know they simply wouldn't understand. It's one of the reasons I can't publish any photos of myself on here just in case anyone who knows me ever discovered them.

drylaw

i'm not sure i'd tell anyone apart from my imediate family

madstaffyblonde1

http://tickers.wlsurgery.
I have told anyone and everyone lol, I work in a office with 10 men and they were as supportive as everyone else if not more and even now tell me how good I look on a daily basis. I'm proud of my rny it has given me my life back and my confidence and if anyone wants to comment they can go ahead, if it's negative then they ain't got a clue what it's like to fat, they don't no what we go through before and after the op or there just jealous cuz I look so good simplessssss :)

angie790

Only my husband, daughter, my brother ('coz he's had a bypass too) and 3 close friends know I am going for surgery...I haven't told anyone at work yet, I may mention it if I'm asked, but then again I might not!
I'm not ashamed of my decision and as many of us know, it is not a decision that is taken lightly. The whole process is long and drawn out...but once I've had my bypass, as far as I'm concerned, I'll have convinced the right people that this is the right choice for me.

Most people I know would definitely have an opinion on WLS and would feel the need to 'share' it with me, irrelevant of whether I was interested in it or even asked for it....and most of these people have never had a weight problem so just wouldn't understand. As a smack in the mouth often offends, I'll probably keep my mouth shut!!!!

ladylite

Hiya, I only told my close friends and family at first. Then i told a couple of people at work.

After a while i didn't care who knew, i don't broadcast it but if someone asked me i wouldn't lie.... At the end of the day we're doing something to improve and hopefully elongate our lives... If people have a negative opinion they can kiss my a** :D

Snap exactly the same here.