• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

disheartened........

rickysmrs

:( I am now three weeks post op and I have had no loss since the 1st week. I am sticking to my food guidelines and Im managing aprox 4-5 teaspoons of food plus a protein shake a day. I think the main probs are because I cant use my crutches for getting around (another 3 wks to go) im not getting in any excercise because its too painful when I try and walk or my fatigue kicks in after a few steps. On top of that I'm not taking my water retention tablets as the liquid form made me sick so got to wait another three weeks for them too. So atm my weight keeps fluctuating 4-5 lbs I have tried drinking fresh lemon juice with boiled water as this is a natural water retention reliever but doesnt seem to be helping. I have spoke to the dietitian and she has told me not to worry it will happen when im more mobile.......................its just the waiting and hoping :( what if it doesnt work for me :cry:

Keep going hun, you can do this, you're following the guidelines to the T. xx

Thanks sleevegirl just been reading ur thread sorry u had a bad time but glad ur on the mend xx

Thank you hun :) Definitely over the worst now, can't wait to get onto soft food, am sick of soup!

xxx

I think it is just your body getting used to everything. It took me 10 days to lose any weight post op. When I got home I had only lost 2lbs... I was absolutely gutted... then within 5 days I had lost another 10lbs... it was fluid retention. Now nothing for 5 days.

The weight has to let go eventually. I do believe your body is probably in shock but if you keep doing what you are doing and definitely get your fluids in then eventually it will fall away.

Keep your chin up hun. I know it is very disheartening.

Loads of hugs xxxxxx

Awwww hun it will happen believe me. Your body will soon have to start using your fat stores. It will be busily burning what excess muscle you have ... Usually on the arms and legs where you are least likely to note any changes ;).

I am curious though why can't you use your crutches? Have i missed something here? I also walk with crutches too. i am due my bypass in August and can't envisage me getting out and about without them :/

Surgeon said said "no crutches" for six weeks and then only if I was pain free as the stomach wall muscels need to be fully healed otherwise could cause complications further down the line with hernias. Thanks everyone nearly tom so emotions running high too tut.............stupid body. xx

Ahhh ok ... Damn

Our bodies are funny things aren't they... It's supposed to be bad to for it if we become obese but it doesn't recognise this and happily let's us pile the weight on. The minute we decide to do it some good and get it trim it throws a total wobbly and tries to trick us into giving up the battle of the bulge by making our hair fall out, fluid retentive & emotional wrecks. ... Sigh xx

Your surgeon may have a different view hun best to check with them direct and if its the case sort out about a loan wheelchair from Red cross if you dont already have one. My GP must of had hindsight and ordered me one in time for surgery as I suffer from ME and Fibro aswell as arthuritus in my hips he said best have one in reserve in case its needed. Bless him its been a life saver I had cabin fever when I had to rest for ten days when I 1st came home was soooooooooo glad even in the wheelchair just to get out n about lol

Hey don't worry too much I lost 13lb first week then nothing until this week (week 5) - I think tha is normal as your body adjusts to taking in less calories xx

How is ur weight loss now Madcat?? Hope ur doing well x

Hi, I have lost 1st 8lbs since op almost 5 weeks ago. I'm really happy with that.
After sticking at 13lbs for 2 weeks it seems to be coming off again. I'm sure that it will for you too xxx

It'll shift just stick with it x

Last edited:
I'm 17 weeks post op sleeve and there have been weeks were I haven't lost anything either and there have even been weeks were I gained! I almost lost my mind but I went with the advice given here (just stick with what you're doing; your bodys will adjust) and you do start losing again. But the weight loss will also stall again - it's a stop and go process and every weigh in is a surprise :)

Keep going it will happen i promise you

My stomach looks bigger now than it did pre-op,I may have given birth to a baby heffer,I wont even weigh myself,just follow the guidelines & pray,what I can say though is I am passing copious amounts of urine ,but obviously only have cobwebs up my back passage,I assume this is normal,sorry for the graphic description

:( I am now three weeks post op and I have had no loss since the 1st week. I am sticking to my food guidelines and Im managing aprox 4-5 teaspoons of food plus a protein shake a day. I think the main probs are because I cant use my crutches for getting around (another 3 wks to go) im not getting in any excercise because its too painful when I try and walk or my fatigue kicks in after a few steps. On top of that I'm not taking my water retention tablets as the liquid form made me sick so got to wait another three weeks for them too. So atm my weight keeps fluctuating 4-5 lbs I have tried drinking fresh lemon juice with boiled water as this is a natural water retention reliever but doesnt seem to be helping. I have spoke to the dietitian and she has told me not to worry it will happen when im more mobile.......................its just the waiting and hoping :( what if it doesnt work for me :cry:

When I had my op I walked with crutches, I had no choice! Really don't understand why you can't. It wasn't even spoken about when I went for my consultation or operation or follow up, in fact at all! No way I could have gotten round without them then and I have a family and a job to do. Wish I could have sat around for a bit but that isn't healthy for anyone!

I was also told that I could have all my medication straight away and in tablet form. I would contact your surgery team again and just check you have it right.

My stomach looks bigger now than it did pre-op,I may have given birth to a baby heffer,I wont even weigh myself,just follow the guidelines & pray,what I can say though is I am passing copious amounts of urine ,but obviously only have cobwebs up my back passage,I assume this is normal,sorry for the graphic description

I know where you're coming from my stomach looks/feels the same.

For a laugh I weighed myself when I got back from hospital. During my Pre-op diet I lost 14lbs, since surgery I've added 3lbs! Do I care - nope not in the slightest, because I know that eventually my body will sort itself out and I will start losing it. I can't input the amount of food I used to so my body will have to start using up everything it has stored over the years.

As for your last bit, not sure about cobwebs but I was the same and only managed to blow them out recently if you get my drift ;)

When I had my op I walked with crutches, I had no choice! Really don't understand why you can't. It wasn't even spoken about when I went for my consultation or operation or follow up, in fact at all! No way I could have gotten round without them then and I have a family and a job to do. Wish I could have sat around for a bit but that isn't healthy for anyone!

I was also told that I could have all my medication straight away and in tablet form. I would contact your surgery team again and just check you have it right.

Hi Sar

Yes too I have a family to look after inclucing a disabled child soooooooooo NOOOOOOOO i havent just been sat on my backside!!!!!!

As you may be aware most surgeons and area's have there way of doing things and as this is "my surgeons way" I have and will stick to her guidelines as it is her team that I will be seeing again soon.

Feel a bit better reading this. Thanks Sar :). I have worried all week about this & what if I can't use my crutches after the op. A wheelchair is out of the question as I live up a flight of stairs & there is no way I could walk outside without my sticks. The thought of going stir crazy in the house is not appealing at all. I'm sure the surgeon would have mentioned this beforehand if it was going to be a problem.

Back