• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

#do most people have keyhole bypass surgery?

Dell

I wondered how many have open surgery and what are the reasons for the conversion from keyhole/laparoscopic?

So many questions going around my head and we haven't even applied for funding yet!!!

Hiya Dell, It really depends on which one your PCT will fund. A laproscopic procedure is considerably more expensive than an open. My PCT will only fund the open one.

I am from Greater Manchester & my surgeon was Mr. Ammori. He does keyhole for bypass as standard & when I asked about what would cause him to switch to open he said he has never in 800+ surgeries had to switch. He did say that prior scars (like c-section) and prior hernia's can sometimes make a surgeon recommend open instead of keyhole.

HTH,
Nic:D

Thanks all :eek:)

I had a lap chole 15 years ago and since then 2 CS, all very neat and tidy tho with no problems postop, so we shall see!

Emailed PCT today to get their current guidelines from them and awaiting a response...

Thanks!
x

I was given a choice as to which surgeon/procedure I wanted. My consultant said You can have 'Mr Surgeon' who does keyhole but doesn't have many op's under his belt or you can have Mr Pollard over at Leeds who does open surgery but has so much experience. I was hoping for Mr Pollard anyway and wasn't bothered in the slightest about having open surgery so Mr Pollard I chose and it was a great decision! :)

Back