• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass Recovery experiences

I am just a week away from my bypass.
I am getting very, very nervous.
Reading all your stories has given me a bit more courage and I would just like to say how grateful I am to you all.

I am just a week away from my bypass.
I am getting very, very nervous.
Reading all your stories has given me a bit more courage and I would just like to say how grateful I am to you all.

I totally agree with you, on this one.

I haven't got a date for my op, yet, but it is so helpful to hear how other people coped with their surgery.
I'm always grateful when people share their experiences - it helps with the decision making.
I'm also really interested to hear how people's experiences differ, according to whether they had open or keyhole surgery, and according to their surgeon.

Just think, not long for you, now, until you are on the 'losing side'.:)

:sign0144:
Hi there! I had my Gastric Bypass on 28th February, just over 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately it wasn't as plain sailing as I would have liked. My surgeon used an old scar from when I had my gall bladder removed 2 years ago and this caused an internal bleed. The scar was just below my belly button so the whole bottom part of my tummy, from the waist down turned black where I bled into my tissue. They kept a close eye on me and were contemplating taking me back to surgery. I lost 4 units of blood so they gave me a blood transfusion on the Sunday but I had a bad reaction to it. After lots of cross-matching, I eventually had 3 units of blood and was allowed home 4 days after surgery. I was initially in a lot of pain, wind mostly. This has now gone but I have no energy at all and am extremely weak and tired all the time. I've developed an annoying dry cough which the surgeon thinks is a slight lung infection from the anaesthetic where I couldn't get out of bed for the first few days, he says this should clear on its own.

At first, I regretted having the surgery but after 2 weeks I've already lost almost 2 stone and have now started on pureed food. Having this surgery is something I had to do to allow me to live a 'normal' life, so I now have no regrets.
:)
Hi Sash, a person from South Wales! I live in S.Wales but of course hardly anyone has WLS as the Welsh Assembly funds only 12 a year at the moment.

Sorry you had a tough time but v impressed with your weight loss! Did you have NHS or Private? I am due to be banded on Sunday. Am pretty nervous.

Back