• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass Recovery experiences

Hi, Everyone,

Just wondered if people would comment on their recovery, immediately post bypass. Everyone seems to have a different experience, but it would be interesting to know if there is a link (with speedy and effective recovery)between the post surgery advice given by the surgeon, the type of surgery
(keyhole vs open), and if there was anything unique about the way the surgeon operates (like Mr. Ammorri sewing the pouch instead of stapling, and not using drains or a catheter).

Thanks

Keyhole bypass - Mr Brough, Regency Macclesfield - No drain.

Mine was a lot better than expected, no painkillers from when I was discharged and got through the eating stages quickly and with no problems. Back to work after 2 1/2 weeks.

Open bypass Walsall Manor Miss Heitmann

Was ok at first but 2 weeks later wound opened up and was infected 5 weeks down the line lots of bad stabbing pains so going Dr's today. Have got backache at the mo and my right shoulder aches But saying that i have no regrets

Time of work 6 weeks to date got another 4 weeks to go then hopefully back to work

hi im 3 1/2 weeks post op, after key hole with mr ammori at alex hosp..im doing brilliant, i only had pain immediately after surgery but this was sorted within minutes i have had no pain since (except slight wind) i was on liquids for 2 weeks and started pureed last week...no problems with food or drink, infact i thought i may be getting to much down but spoke to dietician who tells me it is fine. x

I had key hole surgery, no pain, no wind at all. Did feel sick a lot but I generally had a sicky tum before surgery. This was aggravated by the fasttab but improved when I changed to regular tablets and now totally gone. Returned to work after three weeks but only because I work shifts and choose the right time to go back in. Felt tired although not sleepy until I started my vitamins then had loads of energy and vitality...xx

Key Hole with Mr Mannur - 5 weeks post op no drain no infection, wounds healing very well and would have been back at work after 2 weeks if not for the gallbladder infection

did i have surgery lol i would never of known apart from some pain immidiatly after whilst in recovery it was a breeze. would go back and do it all again.
hc

Hiya as you know I had keyhole with Mr Ammori, I had no pain at all just discomfort which was mainly from the wind.

I was told 3 days liquid diet, up to two weeks pureed food, then two weeks soft food, then after that gradually getting on to normal food as long as i ate slow and chewed well. If anything got difficult, just go back a stage for a few days and try again.

I am just over 3 weeks post-op and now I can't even tell i've had surgery apart from having no food cravings or hunger. Its fab going back to work cos I can just eat before I go and have something prepared for when i get home but i always chuck a cup a soup in my bag just in case i get hungry!!

I'll be glad when I'm on normal food cos it'll be easier to include salad and fruit etc.

Best thing I ever did and can't believe how well I now feel but I must admit I felt like crap until I started taking my vitamins....not sore just really tired

Hope this helps x x x

Same story as lesleyweb (same hospital and surgeon) - no pain/problems and now on 'normal' food

Hi,
I had the open bypass on the 16th December 2008. The surgeon I saw at Leeds only did the bypass open so that is why mine was open. The operation went well and coming out of the operation was not too bad. In the first day after the operation I was encouraged to cough as my lungs weren't clearing that well and that was the most painful bit.
I had a catheter fitted and to be honest it was the one thing I was concerned about prior to the operation, but it was a total life saver in the end as I was not able to get out of the bed without help, so getting up to pee would have been a bit difficult. I ended up having it in until the day before I left hospital. Also I had a drain put in just above my belly button to drain the fluid away from my wound but it was only in for three days and that came out at the same time the dressings came off my wound. I never felt it or had any pain when it came out. The wound was fine however I developed a small infection in the top which took a bit longer to heal and had to be packed ever other day, but it cleared up with antibiotics and healed nicely and has been fine ever since.
The main source of pain I had was when I was walking as I couldn’t stand up straight as I felt the weight of my belly was pulling on the incision, but that only lasted a couple of weeks and got better when the staples were take out.
I also couldn’t sleep on my side and had to sleep on my back for the first 6 weeks as it was too painful to lie on my side. I can now sleep anyway I want but if I lie on my stomach for too long it hurts but think that it is because its only been 8 weeks since the operation. I also struggle with standing for long periods of time (about 3 hours) and as I am at University this causes a problem during lab sessions and so I have had to ask for a chair, but it gets better as the weeks pass.

However I do not regret the bypass one bit as I feel that I am lot healthier and fitter than I was prior to the operation.

I had a keyhole bypass with Mr Ammori on the 14th Feb this year, yep 4 weeks ago. :) The operation was alot smoother than I expected and almost painless, a couple of days after I was a bit sore but nothing I couldn't easily cope with. The first 2 weeks of recovery were fine if somewhat bland, I started soft foods this week and it has all been good apart from scrambled eggs which hurt like hell and then a little bit of chicken which hurt so much I turned whiter than Casper the ghost. Probably a bit early for that kind of food though so I have eased off and I am back on pureed food 50% of the day with soft food the rest. I will wait another 2-3 weeks before I try chicken again and see what happens.

Keyhole. Mr James Burne, Southampton Spire. Gallbladder removed. Drain but no catheter (thank the Gods!)

8 weeks post-op thursday, 4 weeks signed off to recover.

Had my 6 weeks review and was told it's all done heh. go back to normal life, can go to the gym (but not go mental). No real pain after the op as such, just a bit of aching. Still ache at the moment, but it's because I pull myself too close to my desk at work and at home, and only notice when it hurts :/

Did have an episode after 3 weeks when I ended up in A&E after eating some chips and having very bad abdominal pain (below the surgery), but I think it's cos of the fat as when I eventually vomited, it was just like dirty greasy water. My own fault really, @selflart.

Bypass Recovery - Keyhole

:sign0144:
Hi there! I had my Gastric Bypass on 28th February, just over 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately it wasn't as plain sailing as I would have liked. My surgeon used an old scar from when I had my gall bladder removed 2 years ago and this caused an internal bleed. The scar was just below my belly button so the whole bottom part of my tummy, from the waist down turned black where I bled into my tissue. They kept a close eye on me and were contemplating taking me back to surgery. I lost 4 units of blood so they gave me a blood transfusion on the Sunday but I had a bad reaction to it. After lots of cross-matching, I eventually had 3 units of blood and was allowed home 4 days after surgery. I was initially in a lot of pain, wind mostly. This has now gone but I have no energy at all and am extremely weak and tired all the time. I've developed an annoying dry cough which the surgeon thinks is a slight lung infection from the anaesthetic where I couldn't get out of bed for the first few days, he says this should clear on its own.

At first, I regretted having the surgery but after 2 weeks I've already lost almost 2 stone and have now started on pureed food. Having this surgery is something I had to do to allow me to live a 'normal' life, so I now have no regrets.
:)

Hi Shash, welcome to Mini's.

So sorry to hear your experience wasnt as good as expected, but very pleased to hear you have made a good recovery and are now happy that you had the operation.

Can I ask where you had your op, and who your surgeon was? Also were you private or NHS.

shash where abouts in south wales are you? i lived outside Neath for 12 years, my kids now live in Port Talbot.

You wont regret the bypass, ok its be difficult for a while but it does get better and you will find so much more energy and confidence as time passes

Oh LOL and welcome to mini's

:sign0144:
Hi there! I had my Gastric Bypass on 28th February, just over 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately it wasn't as plain sailing as I would have liked. My surgeon used an old scar from when I had my gall bladder removed 2 years ago and this caused an internal bleed. The scar was just below my belly button so the whole bottom part of my tummy, from the waist down turned black where I bled into my tissue. They kept a close eye on me and were contemplating taking me back to surgery. I lost 4 units of blood so they gave me a blood transfusion on the Sunday but I had a bad reaction to it. After lots of cross-matching, I eventually had 3 units of blood and was allowed home 4 days after surgery. I was initially in a lot of pain, wind mostly. This has now gone but I have no energy at all and am extremely weak and tired all the time. I've developed an annoying dry cough which the surgeon thinks is a slight lung infection from the anaesthetic where I couldn't get out of bed for the first few days, he says this should clear on its own.

At first, I regretted having the surgery but after 2 weeks I've already lost almost 2 stone and have now started on pureed food. Having this surgery is something I had to do to allow me to live a 'normal' life, so I now have no regrets.
:)

Hi, Shash,
Glad to hear you're feeling better, now. It's encouraging for those of us who are still pre-op to hear that even after all of your difficulties you still have no regrets.

Back