• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you dump forever?

Just been reading some other posts, and I wondered, do you dump forever..? :rolleyes:Following surgery, will I never be able to tolerate sugars, or does the body get used to it? :confused:
Thanks in anticipation of the knowledgable answers I'm about to receive from all of you experienced post-oppers. ;)

I asked this on another thread and was told that some dont and some do, not sure id try and eat all that fat and sugar though lol

Mmm, I was thinking about jam..! I'm a cake baker/decorator and fill cakes with jam & cream. I was thinking I'll never be able to have another one because of the cream, then wondered about the jam...:confused:

oh :( im sure that after a while a bit in moderation will be ok :)

I don't dump with sugar - I did a bit to begin with but even then it was just a rise in temperature and an effect on my bowels for a short time but even that seems to have stopped. I am diabetic and I think that diabetics find it harder to dump. I don't tend to have much in any event though as I seem to have hypos if I have something with a bit of sugar in (sugar rise and then sugar crash)

Sorry i cant help you on this one ive done my best to avoid sugar n fats full stop and as far as i can tell ive never dumped

Hi all,

I cant answer the "will I dump forever" question but I had a major dump 2 weeks ago and I was really ill. I had finished eating my evening meal about 6pm and was feeling ok. 15mins later I was lying on the sofa, sweating and feeling like my pouch had burst. Shaking, and nauseaous and all because i had eaten a full chicken burger that had more than 5% fat!!! Took me 3 hours to recover and only after I had been sick. Now only have half of a chicken burger and read all food fat content before I buy.

I think if we do dump forever then i am never ever going to be able to shop without reading the packaging for the fat and sugar contents of the whole pack. Good job I was good at sums............. LOL :D xx

They do diabetic jam hun, you could have that.

Core, well done Jed ... what a star :D:D:D

LOL TO BE HONEST WLS IS THE ONLY THING IVE DONE BY THE BOOK IN MY LIFE NOT COS IM A CHEATER OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT I JUST FELT THIS WAS A LAST CHANCE TO TOTALLY TURN MY LIFE AROUND 100% SO IVE GIVEN IT MY ALL AND WOW TO SAY ITS WORTH IT IS THE UNDERSTATMENT OF THE DECADE:D

Im 6 months out and only dumped once after fish and chips,5 chips and a tiny bit of fish then 3 strawberries!It was early on,I get warm after eating most meals but no more dumping.You do feel like you are dying when it happens though!Maz x

Jema,

Fat content of 5% and below are ok but yes you can dump with fats too. I cant tolerate most stuff with more than 1gr of sugar without dumping and when I start dumping I get a runny nose, and my mouth starts watering. Then the shakes and sweats start. Its a horrid feeling and sometimes I can eat a food one day but not the next. Swings and round abouts hun and a good memory for what does and does not make me ill. :) xx

My dietitian advises less than 3G fat / 100g and less than 5g of sugar / 100g. This puts everything in the low zone of the healthy eating advice however some foods you may be able to tolerate in the medium range of less than 20g fat & less than 15g sugar / 100g. It will be a trial & error to find what you cope with. For me I don't get the nausea & sweats etc I just get stomach cramps and the loose bowels usually within 30mins of eating something to high in one or the other but not to often.
So yes we will be reading the labels forever just to be on the safe side, because even our favourite things have their ingredients changed. But basically moderation in all things & a little care & we should reduce the chances of dumping as much as possible.

I have not dumped yet and I'm 2 months out. I havent had any sugar though and too scared to try yet. I have had higher fat foods and still not dumped so hope I'm one of the lucky ones x

Dumping, just like pretty much everything else to do with these surgeries, is very individual and varies from person to person.

I've never dumped very often or in a horrible, sick to your stomach manner. Early on (under 3 months) I was quite sensitive to sugar and fat and once or twice did feel queasy and had to lie down after a yoghurt or something slightly sweet. But now, nearly 9 months out, I don't get that anymore and I can eat pretty much whatever I like. I do feel tired if I eat something sugary or a bit more fatty, and I'm told by my team that is a mild form of dumping (I just start yawning incessantly right after eating, and feel a bit bloated, just very very tired, for about 30 mins).

I think it's great if people try to stay under 5% fat/sugar for the rest of their lives. Personally, it was always my long term goal to eat a NORMAL diet. Like every other normal sized person out there. No excesses, just balanced nutrition, a little bit of everything, in slightly smaller than average portion sizes. And I am extremely glad I can do that now and still continue to lose weight as well for the time being.

You will soon find out after surgery how your body reacts to certain foods. And it is also worth knowing that even if you dump on a particular food say in month 3, that doesn't mean that a few months later you won't be absolutely fine eating it. I was much more sensitive early on. Think of your new stomach like the one of a baby - you wouldn't give it fish and chips when it's a newborn - so bland and boring at first and then you work your way to a more normal diet over time. :)

Dumping, just like pretty much everything else to do with these surgeries, is very individual and varies from person to person.

I've never dumped very often or in a horrible, sick to your stomach manner. Early on (under 3 months) I was quite sensitive to sugar and fat and once or twice did feel queasy and had to lie down after a yoghurt or something slightly sweet. But now, nearly 9 months out, I don't get that anymore and I can eat pretty much whatever I like. I do feel tired if I eat something sugary or a bit more fatty, and I'm told by my team that is a mild form of dumping (I just start yawning incessantly right after eating, and feel a bit bloated, just very very tired, for about 30 mins).

I think it's great if people try to stay under 5% fat/sugar for the rest of their lives. Personally, it was always my long term goal to eat a NORMAL diet. Like every other normal sized person out there. No excesses, just balanced nutrition, a little bit of everything, in slightly smaller than average portion sizes. And I am extremely glad I can do that now and still continue to lose weight as well for the time being.

You will soon find out after surgery how your body reacts to certain foods. And it is also worth knowing that even if you dump on a particular food say in month 3, that doesn't mean that a few months later you won't be absolutely fine eating it. I was much more sensitive early on. Think of your new stomach like the one of a baby - you wouldn't give it fish and chips when it's a newborn - so bland and boring at first and then you work your way to a more normal diet over time. :)

I was going over the post op diet sheets with my daughter last night ( so she can come over and look after me if needed . Bless!)
She's had a baby , now 10months old, and is currently weaning her and everything on the sheet she said was exactly what she's been doing with the baby! So this is exactly how I'm going to treat my pouch post op......Only 2 more sleeps:eek:

Its my aim ( wish) to eat exactly the same as the family later only smaller portions and sensibly, so it's great to hear that this is what you're doing. Thanks

Great post Blueeyes,everything I have found to be true.If there is one thing my body/head have learnt is moderation!Not a word in my vocabulary preop!I eat pretty much everything and anything just small portions.Maz x

Back