• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you reward others with the food you can't have?

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
It occurred to me that I often buy food treats for my dad and stepmum and friends especially for xmas and birthdays, and usually when I'm on a restrictive diet. I usually do them a gift box with treats from hotel chocolat etc and really enjoy the process of picking things out for them. But I wonder how much of that comes from my wish to eat those things myself, and whether I am transferring my need to eat over to them? I'm also having to watch the amount of treats I give my dog as I find myself picking up something new for him every time I go shopping and have ended up with a huge box full of treats to choose from. Anyone else had this problem?

I am a real tight axse where giving food is concerned. I have never wanted to give food as I know that it isnt good for them. Totally the wrong attitude really cause the odd treat is OK. I think because I have struggled so hard with saying no to things like boxes of chocs (could never eat a few always had to finish the box) and didnt want to put this on to other people.

I dont even buy my grandchildren easter eggs, I buy them a present or give them money. Mean aint I. Then I do know they will get loads of eggs from their other grand parents so dont think they will be deprived. My lovely grand dauhter already has a wee weight problem and I wouldnt want to add to this.

If I was to give anyone anything culinary for Christmas etc it is usually in the form of exotic cooking oils or flavoured vodka, something very different.

No, but I admit I have been tempted, and immediately post-op found myself wanting to 'feed up' my hubby and kids!
Now though, I'm the other way, and getting quite evangelical about " are you seriously going to eat that?" or " do you really want/need that quantity of food?", or "do you realise how unhealthy that meal is?"

My hubby has lost about 2 stones since I began this journey, WITHOUT even trying! LOL! :D

lol poor hubby. diet by stealth. :)

NO WAY hahhahahahahhahha if im not having it there not!!! i see it as 'helping everyone out ha' xxx

err, I would... :wave_cry: only in the hope that they hand them round when opened. That way I'm not able to eat them all but can still have one or two...

I had my surgery and then turned into a baker!!! I started baking cakes and biscuits and macaroons and brownies and all kinds of lovely (and Im assured very tasty) things and gave to my family and they love it. I developed a habit of getting hubby to eat things that I couldnt, say I saw a nice looking cake or chocolate bar or a fancy ice cream, I would get him to eat it and tell me how it tasted etc but then he started to put on weight and he cant afford to do that, so that coincided with me stopping feeding him up naturally and needing to do so. I have stopped doing lots of baking too, I do all of the birthday cakes now and my family love my coconut macaroons, so I do make them those from time to time, but it really is a treat now instead of them being bombarded with fattening sweet treats countless times a day.
I am very very VERY aware that if Im lucky enough to have children that I will never use food as a reward, so I am now certain not to do it to the grown ups around me either.
Steph xx

lol poor hubby. diet by stealth. :)

yorkiegal, he needs a few stones off to be more healthy, so don't feel too sorry for him!
Today out in a cafe he ate: a chorizo and brie sarney (a big one), a pork and onion pie with onion chutney, a pot of olives (yuck, can't stand the things!), a bag of crisps, a full fat coke, and 3 coffees!

He's hardly on a diet! How can he eat that amount of food!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Charis...its really hard post-op to understand the volumes of food isnt it. I remember last Christmas, I was a bit post-op and just back onto solids and so I had a TINY Christmas dinner and it took me the longest time to eat that. I was sat there watching everyone around me with big plates fit to bust full of food, finishing the entire plate and having seconds, and then a couple of deserts and drinks and then hands full of snacks a short time afterward, I was so newly out of that lifestyle but already couldnt understand how anyone could eat that amount. Only three months before I could have done the same and then some!!!
Steph xx

Hey am i the only one who noticed Mary won't give her family nice food but bottles of flavoured Vodka are okay? Hic hic!! Seriously though Mary i agree with what you said. My mother always gives my girls the money to have a treat going to the cinema to watch a movie. I try and buy them a trinket rather than chocolates... In fact the other week they were gob smacked when i brought them home a chocolate bar as a treat, especially when they didn't have to share it with each other :)

I have found myself giving Trev my leftovers but i doubt i'll go buying him nice extras - he's got me he don't need that lol...

Funny thing though, if my friend Jen is coming round i often think i'll pick her up a egg custard on my way home from work :) x

my friend has actually said to me, kel i hope your not gonna go into huge detail when you eat something or have a treat etc etc... it was after watching vanessa describe that peice of cake on bb.... i would never do it tho,

i went through a stage of not eating in front of people to it progressing to not drinking either!!! madeness hey this was the start of my weight gain as id go alllllllllllll day without eating at work and i could have been on 18 hr shifts if theres a function and not even having a drink...then go back to my room and gorge on stuff from the spar, and what can u buy from there thats not crap, i hated even buying food in front of people and dont get me started on going out for a meal!!!

im not and now but some elements are still there so now i wouldnt go into huge detail about a peice of food ha xx

Back