• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you still see yourself as 'fat'

jaffa_cake

I'm down to a size 12/14 from a 20/22 and when I look in the mirror I still dont like what I see :confused:

I still see my fat tummy and thighs etc, its really beginning to do my head in because I have done really well to get here! Will I ever be happy with what I see?

Do any of you still think of yourself as fat even after loosing all of your weight or part of your weight?

My husband says i'm far too hard on myself, he thinks I look fab, what does he see that I dont :eek: lol

Jaffa

Hi Jaffa,
When I did Lighter Life a few years ago I got down to a size 14 from a 28/30 and I was so critical of myself, more so than when I was fat....but your head will soon learn to accept the new you, it just takes a while to catch up.
Bet you look fab xx

Yes I am exactly the same. I know I have lost weight by my clothes and the scales but when I look in the miorror I see fat me! It is really annoying me.

I'm with you on this one. My very close friend who's seen me all shapes & sizes over the years told me I look fab & it's like having the old me back again. I just don't see it. I've still got 2.5 stone to loose yet but I still don't know if that will make much difference.

I did until recently. I think my head finally caught up with my body. I range between a size 12-14 most of the time and an occasional size 10. But I thought I was huge still. Now I am seeing myself in a different light and liking what I see. Yes, my tummy is still wobbly but I have had three kids including a set of twins. Hopefully I'll continue losing weight and continue this great success.

Mix- I am still technically obese too. My personal trainer absolutely hates BMI because it actually tells you nothing. Both she and the male bodybuilder she works with are technically obese but have a body fat % of less than 3.

Could i make a suggestion to you all? It might help a little...

When you look in the mirror don't pick out what you don't like instead find something you do like the look of now...

For example Mixxy? You must have very muscular calves and thighs now with all the cycling you do, look at them and tell yourself either under your breath or out loud how great they are looking and how pleased you are with them...

For so many years we've told ourselves all the negative things about us. We need to pick out what we like, whether it's our hair, our disappearing chins, beautiful eyes and reiterate how great they are as much if not more as we moan about our cellulite thighs....

Go for it you lot xx

ps if ever i make a thread like this someone tell me to find a mirror xx

Nice to know its not just me feeling like that. I keep thinking that i must sound like such an ungrateful cow, when i moan that i can't see much of a difference. I know i have lost 7 1/2 stone but all i see when i look in the mirror is the fat that still needs shifting.
I always thought that i would love clothes shopping when i started losing weight but i still hate it as i don't feel that anything looks right on me.
I try to keep looking at my comparison photos to try and drum it into my head that i am smaller, but its not working. I'm hoping that like other people have said, my brain catches up with my body eventually and i can finally believe the changes.

I will always think that way I'm sorry to say, mainly due to the excess skin.

I still thoroughly examine a chair before I sit on it, go around things instead of squeezing through them, ask people to budge over when there no need, the list is endless.

I agree with all of you but Julie is right We all need to look for the positives. I am as bad as the rest, I don't like what I see in the mirror but the thought of what I want to see keeps me going.
Remenber PMA (Positive Mental Attitude)

I dont still see myself as fat, but I am more critical of my appearance now than I ever was when I was morbidly obese. I hate the way my face looks gaunt. I hate my empty boobs and hanging loose skin on my belly. I hate my wobbly (but thin!) thighs.

I know I have made massive improvements to my health, but I actually struggle to see the improvement in my appearance.

I agree with you Sam, All my life as far back as i could remember when going on holiday i would hate the thought of taking my clothes of to go in the swimming pool. Now i am coming close to loosing most of my weight i have swapped 1 bad body image for another. The excess skin i have is horrendous and i still hate the thought of wearing a bathing costume in public. Don't get me wrong i love my bypass and am extremely happy with my weight loss but wish this excess skin was'nt so ugly.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I don't see myself as fat so much (though this took a while) but I do see the negatives such as saggy skin, sticking out tummy compared to the rest of me, stretch marks (never saw them when I was fat but they were obviously there). I've had so many comments from people at work and personally about how fantastic I now look (went to a previous works do last week and my good friend who was taking photographs asked if I was a new employee as she didn't recognise me). After a while all the compliments do stick but I wish I could look in the mirror and not see the down sides to my weight loss. We all need to learn to love ourselves I guess

I still see the fat me - and look at clothes to see if they will make me look fat!!.

I hate the spaniels ear boobs that are folded and prodded in my bra, the flobby legs - thighs and calves, the wibbly wobbly belly and the bones!!

I hate the fact I get the tutu effect when I sit down

I even put a skirt on today £3.60 in Sainsburys sale!! - size 12 and cos it was a bit full thought I looked like the side of a house.

But if i can't actually see myself I forget I'm thin and I love the way I'm toatally invisible to others now

And how much happier and healthier I feel

So I have a stern word with myself (get sensible answers then) and be thankful for what I have got

Hopefully my noggin will catch up soon lol

Angela xx

Last edited:
I went to try on a skirt in Evans yesterday - a size 22 which is what I am now - yet I held it up and thought that waistband looks too small, it will never go round me! But it did! The brain is a powerful thing!

I am having a hard time with this at the moment, right now I look at myself in the mirror and on pictures and though I can see the bones I never used to see etc but I have started seeing myself as being as huge as I was on my before pic (see signature).
I KNOW that Im different and was doing so well with my body image, but I have lost no more than a few ounces in the past three weeks and I think that it is starting to bother me more than I thought it was, suddenly I feel very fat and a bit down about it actually.
Im sure I will perk up soon and I will be back to my usual self, I sure bloody hope so!
Steph xx

Back