• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How do you see yourself??

ditzeeblonde

Does yr image of yourself change after surgery?

Even when you've lost lots of weight do you still see yourself as a fat person?
Do you still dislike what you see in the mirror?

OR

Do you see all that you have accomplished & feel proud of what you have achieved?
And like what you see?

You don't have anytime when you feel thin? Buying clothes that fit? Sitting in a chair? Bending down? Yr other half being able to cuddle you better?

Day to day things that were difficult? Or do you just get used to being able to do them again, like you get used to not being able to do them when yr big? x

They come back slowly so you don't really notice them. Simple things like getting your socks and shoes on, taking a bath, climbing a ladder into the loft etc, they come back one by one so you don't really notice them in one big bang.

Yes, life is so much better now, but it happens gradually so not so much of a biggie!

I'm guessing that all these little things are what helps to contribute to life being so much better after bypass!!

Thanks Mixxy. x

The good things are being able to go to Tescos/Asda etc etc and buy clothes at a third of the price of the rip off big man shops.

To be perfectly honest, the big big things that have made this all worthwhile are

1) Not worrying about people staring/kids giggling/name calling when walking down the street.

2) Feeling confident to be able to go out anywhere and not worrying if you will fit in the chairs/seats etc (Although sometimes I still think I can't fit through a gap)

3) I've met more people, people want to talk to me and I have inspired at least 5 people to buy bikes and get out on them before they have got too overweight.

4) SEX ---- Love it now :)

i still see my self as a heffa lump

for me i didn't notice much of a chnge until i spent 3 days walking round london followed by a 5 day festival in derby.....not being in lower back and hip pain after walking somewhere was amazing

as Mix said....being able to buy clothes from a "normal" shop for me has also been a huge achievement

tho admittedly i don't know if i see in the mirror what others are seeing in me at the moment....I still have a long way to go til i reach my target....but it'll get here :D

Wow Nightwitch you are doing awesome :) Many congrats x

Thanks Julie :) x

Does yr image of yourself change after surgery?

Even when you've lost lots of weight do you still see yourself as a fat person?
Do you still dislike what you see in the mirror?

OR

Do you see all that you have accomplished & feel proud of what you have achieved?
And like what you see?

A bit of both to be honest.

I *know* Im not still a fat person, but I do sometimes dislike what I see in the mirror. The image that everyone else see's (fully clothed) looks OK now, but it's what lies underneath that makes me sad. I do still have parts of my body that look very fat, but its all the loose skin that I have.

But yes, I do see what I have accomplished and I am very proud. I could never have done race for life for example last year, and on Friday we did almost 2 laps of silverstone on foot and probably walked about 8 miles. Getting into a size 12 is amazing and has exceeded my wildest dreams. But its also the confidence it has given me. Ive just applied for a promotion and I doubt I would have if I was still fat.

the day i throu my walking stick away was the day i started to feel thiner,
although I'm still a size 16, thats positively skinny for me.
i also feel a lot fitter and a lot more agile (for this reson alone it's all been worth it).
i am finding it hard to throu away my big clothes, because i still think i will put the weight back on again (as i have done so many times in the past).

I *know* I am a lot thinner than I was! But still, I *always* focus on the negative things, like the loose skin. My stomach, arms and thighs are really bad, and that's all I can focus on. That and my hair thinning. Oh and the saggy saggy saggy disgusting boobs!

Thank goodness for all those compliments we get, I use them as a reality check to try and get myself to focus on the positives.

Rx

snap snap snap. Although I know I look normal now, it hasn't improved my poor self esteem. I often come across as confident but it is all show and sometimes I think it was easier when I was fat as people would judge me on my size first and personality/abilities second. Now I often feel less confident because I don't have the 'it's such a shame she's fat' to hide behind. Does this make sense?

Last edited:
It makes total sense - I am totally the same. I know I have lost weight but when I look in the mirror I still focus on negatives - but I think if we are self critical then we will just move our dislike to another body part. I hate when people say "oh your losing too much" or "you don't want to lose anymore" - wake up people I am still overweight - I know it and so do you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally still go for chairs with no arms or walk round cause I won't fit inbetween the cars. I am hoping that one day I wake up with a slim mind and accept the difference in how I look. I love being healthy and that's what is important to me!!!!!!!

Thanks Peeps...

I'm guessing the head change takes much longer than the physical change.. one of my main concerns is that after my op I will still be bitterly disappointed with what I see in the mirror... I guess the only thing is that what I'm disliking will be healthier on the inside. x

It's a tough one that cause some people are really happy with the physical changes - it honestly never was about that for me so I couldn't be happier with the health changes - you will know what you want out of the surgery. Please don't think because some of us don't see the changes very well that it will happen to you - it depends on soooooo many fators - good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for xxx

Thanks Peeps...

I'm guessing the head change takes much longer than the physical change.. one of my main concerns is that after my op I will still be bitterly disappointed with what I see in the mirror... I guess the only thing is that what I'm disliking will be healthier on the inside. x

I wouldnt say I dislike what I see in the mirror... Its really hard to explain. Like I said before I Know I am so much slimmer, and healthier and that's a good thing.

I guess as fatties we have been so used to not liking what we see (huge generalisation I know, but it will apply to most) that it takes some time for the head to catch up.

Have you got a date for surgery yet hun?

Thanks again guys...

No Sam, no date yet & I'm jumping on the poor postman every morning! He must wonder what the hells going on.. I'm never normally excited about post!!

Thats very spooky Sam... I have just come off the phone having been told they'd like to book me in for surgery on the 9th Sept with a pre-op on the 19th Aug!!

Wow.. re you phsychic?? xx

Back