• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does anyone else feel "brave"?

mrsrule

The most common response I am getting when I tell people I am having wls is "ooooh you're brave!"
I don't feel brave - just in dire need to help to lose weight as I have tried everything else. I realise that surgery at any weight is a risk and at nearly 20 stone it is a much bigger risk - but if I don't lose some weight soon I will have no quality of life at all!

People have said that to me too. Truth is I don't feel brave at all, I'm absolutely terrified. But the fact of the matter is I need to do this for my physical and mental health. Plus I just want to feel 'normal'.

Yes I've had people saying I was brave to do this, I didnt feel brave at all just desperate to get my eating under some kind of control

I feel the same. I do feel proud of myself for coping well pre op but not brave. I've had the same said to me, I just say it needs to be done :) X

Come to think of it-yes-I think I was brave-and so is everyone who goes through with it. ( Yes, we're often desperate as well but the two things aren't mutually exclusive). The easy ( and none brave) option would have been not to go through with it, risk the surgery and face up to all the changes need post op.
Yup- we're a brave lot xx

As someone who once backed out because she thought she could do it by herself I think it is brave. We make a huge commitment to ourselves by going for surgery and we take control and responsibility for our weight problem. We deal with the addiction. Brave doesn't mean your not scared. Means being scared but spin the right thing anyway.

I am not even thinking about the actual surgery, it's the afterwards bit I need to concentrate on!

For me, the brave bit was making the decision, researching, pros & cons, lifetime commitment. Once I make a decision that's it so when I told friends, family and colleagues I was so positive I seemed to relieve there anxieties. I say onwards & upwards ( or should that be downwards!!).

A GP family member of mine said that out of about 200 inquiries about WLS he gets per year, only two or three actually go through with it. So yes, there is an element of fear/bravery attached to this surgery.

However, as with "estate agent speak" in this context, "you're so brave" can be translated to " I think you're crazy to do this."

Yes I was told many times I was brave , but like you girls just see it as something I had to do.
I also had some one say " what a scary decision to male " my response was " scary is the thought of getting bigger , all the extra health problems I would then risk getting & potentially leaving my girls parentless "

I think it's very brave. Facing the demons head on and putting in place a tool that will stop the sabotages of constant dieting. While others bury their heads in the sand I took control and despite all my fears I got help. I'm brave!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back