• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does anyone regret their surgery?

steph82

I'm worried as I am so dependent on the comfort of food I am going to get very depressed when I can't eat like I want, especially as I am going through divorce

I don't regret it but I would recommend getting a good counsellor to support you. The psychological impact is huge.

I'm worried as I am so dependent on the comfort of food I am going to get very depressed when I can't eat like I want, especially as I am going through divorce

I think perhaps your timing isn't right especially as you say your going through divorce.
As mentioned above the physiological issues WLS comes with is huge...I really wasn't prepared enough and I don't think enough is done in this field after WLS,it should be part of the aftercare if needed.

I have to say I dont regret my by pass one little bit my only regret is not doing it years ago
I was very much in the right place both body and mind had great support and continue to do so
All has been good for me

I was a big comfort eater but don't regret my bypass at all. I'm about 4 months post op. I think the others are right, you have to be in the right place and have support but I can honestly say I've not felt the need to comfort eat because I just feel less inclined to do so now.

I don't regret it one bit, but I wasn't a comfort eater

Regret it....no way. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, best decision I've ever made I love the control over food it has given me, I'm in control for the first time ever and I'm starting to like what I see in the mirror too!!!

I don't know if I'm in the position to comment as I'm only just starting out on my wls journey, however, I agree with the others in that you absolutely need to make sure you have support in place, whether it be friends, family or a good doctor or counselor.

This is your surgery and will give you control over food for the first time in years if you're anything like me. I'm a big emotional eater myself and I know how you feel hun, but enjoy the chance to take control over something, even if other things are going to hell in a basket lol.

I wish you all the best for your surgery and remember we're all here for times when you need to talk xx

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using WLSurgery

That's understandable. Great in theory, not so easy to do though is it.

You must be so stressed at the moment but it will get better, I promise you. Will he help with the kids during and after your surgery or do you have family to help? If you were near me I would have helped out but I'm always happy to help by providing a shoulder to cry on it a friendly ear to listen hun x

This is def something I think about and will be asking the psychologist about it on Monday and what the aftercare in this area will be like.

I'll come back once I've spoken to her but I'd imagine it's not going to be easy. I'd say about 50% of my overeating is emotional and the rest is habitual or cause I'm poorly organised!

Yeah let me know what they say, but usually there is someone who can can help you in this because I imagine that most people who are in our situation are comfort eaters. This should be something they are used to treating, alongside other issues.

This surgery is life changing, for the better. This is your chance to turn your life around (weight wise and self esteem wise anyway). Everything else will follow hun.

Don't forget, or sit up alone worrying yourself silly, just shout if you want to talk xx

Thankfully there is support for a year afterwards and I guess I'll take it from.there. admittedly the psychologist was a bit concerned I had a binge eating disorder but surely many if us have disordered eating pre-op? If my eating wasn't so messed up I wouldn't be doing something this drastic?

I have managed to pull it back tho and have taken all my tools out the shed in order to get my bingeing under control.

I guess I do worry about 20/years or so down the line, will I be sick of eating like a bird? Will I long for a glass of prosecco? Will the surgery have some unknown long term health issues worse than long term obesity? Oh my head!!

I have to agree with you with regards to the fears such as how will I cope without a flurry now and again lol. But on the other hand, I so badly need to lose all this bloody weight I've gained. I've literally doubled my weight since meeting my husband 17 years ago. I disgust myself, god knows how he feels. Well in my head , I know already because it shows. Xx

I know how you feel purplemel, I disgust myself too. Won't even sleep in same bed as hubby I am so ashamed.

I think I'm getting my head around the not eating like I am now. I've just posted about a good website with podcasts called obesity coverage. It's very honest and I've found it really helpful this weekend.

Yeah I sleep on the sofa. Partly because of the stairs with my back, but also because I'm sooooo ashamed of how I look. I weigh more now than when I had my cesarean with my youngest son (who weighed 8lb 10ozs).

I wish I could take a pill and never eat again for the rest of my life and be normal like everybody else.

Back