• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does gone forever really mean 'gone forever'?

phatmomma

So many times i've heard someone say ''2 stone gone forever'' ''5 stone gone forever''.... Does it really mean it's gone forever? I ask this purely because i know previously when i've lost weight by 'conventional' methods i've gone on to put it back on and more when i returned to normal eating....

I'm guessing i've got a couple of years of weight loss to get to a goal weight. Once there i know some people carry on losing and the only way to maintain is to let some 'bad' habits return, drinking with meals, extra carbs etc.... Am wondering if anyone knows of anyone gaining there weight back after wls...

Is it really gone forever? Or is it a battle we will fight for the rest of our lives?

No, never gone forever. I think people genuinely type it feeling that way but, in reality, it's very possible to put it back on.

I can't find the thread but there was one member who lost a terrific amount of weight, even had the skin tuck operations, only to put the weight all back on again.

I think that the vast majority of people have realised their past 'mistakes' and chances are, at least you'd hope, that they have seen the problems excess weight has caused and stop that weight going back on again at a earlier date.

I've read some stories on American sites about people putting all of their weight back on again after having WLS.

I think you'd have to be pretty determined though. Eating slider foods, drinking whilst eating etc.

I suppose it's the same with all eating habits, it's got to be something you commit to for the rest of your life.

For me, the 'gone forever' part is the way I used to eat. I've not put myself through major surgery without wanting to change the way I eat. I'm determined to use my tool to it's best advantage.

Great post PH , i'm also interested in the replies

This is why I think that getting into good habits early on sets you up well.
In the early days you can do some pretty naughty things and the weight will generally still come off but once your body stabilises, if you carry on with those naughty things then you are going to sabotage your efforts.
Start as you mean to go on, use your surgery and new tool as a reset button and dont let those old bad habits sneak back in.
I guess if the weight is destined to come back on then it will do but if you re-educate yourself and use the 'honeymoon' period to get into good habits then you will be in a better stead later on down the line when you have to work harder to keep that weight off.
That is why I dont eat bread or chocolate and biscuits, its not just about dumping, it is about not letting old habits ruin my chances later on, if I dont have it now then I will never miss it and it wont be a problem, or less of a problem anyway.
It is all about being sensible and not letting yourself get back to where you were.
Steph xx

Look at poor Carnie Wilson. The poor dear is still battling her weight.

This is my biggest worry. I like to think it is gone forever however I know that I am afraid to discard the clothes that are too big for me "just in case". I never lost weight before in my life and I really could not cope with regaining. I will do whatever is in my power to keep the weight off but I do worry.

I think it is deluded to ever think you have cracked it! I believe the fight goes on for ever I would like to think that with new eating and exercise habits it will get easier but I have read too many stories of WLS patients who have regained even after 5 years out.

My surgeon told me that the success criteria for all types of surgery was to loose 50 % of excess weight and keep it off for 5 years. Apparently the current stats are that 70 % of patients achieve this and just loosing 50 % of excess weight has notable health benefits.

I can't stand the thought of being a failed WLS patient. I have failed at weight loss all my life, in fact its the only thing I have ever failed at! but I use the fear of failure to keep me focused and to stop any hint of a blasé attitude I know I will have to keep working at it forever and I made my peace with that when I made the decision to go ahead with surgery. I may not achieve 100% loss of my excess weight but I am in this for the long haul and as an NHS patient I feel that if I don't maintain the weight loss then I have p****d all over the opportunity I have been given and that's not fair to all the people who are fighting for funding.

Oh gosh no Mixxy, I would never say that nobody should have 'treats', that really isnt my place, I just dont understand why after going through so much to get the new chances, why anybody would want to sabotage themselves like that. Dont get me wrong, I understand wanting to feel 'normal', but when being 'normal' got you to the point of needing something as massively drastic as weight loss surgery, you really do need to redefine what 'normal' is. I am betting that for the majority of people that regain more than a couple of stone after losing it all post surgery, they simply didnt use their new tool to their best ability and they let old habits take over.
We are all only human and as such we make mistakes and we fall down sometimes, but if you go into the surgery and new life in the frame of mind to do all that you can to change things to the way you always wanted them to be. You can want to be 'normal' and eat 'normally' but that is what you have always done and that got you to the point of needing surgery. There is a well known saying...if you do what you always did then you will get what you always got. With that in mind, with the aid of surgery, hit that reset button, dont turn back to the old ways. Use those early 'honeymoon' months to educate yourself about nutrition and new healthier ways of eating.
I know that its not easy and there are a lot of mental and emotionally issues to deal with, but if you can work with your new tool and also work on the mental issues, you can only put yourself in good stead.
Pre-op I was a very weak person around food, I had issues with binging and I had no self control, for example, I could never have just one biscuit, I would eat a whole packet and then want more. I couldnt eat a few squares of chocolate, I would eat an entire family bar all by myself in under fifteen minutes. I tried hard to beat those habits but I always slipped back into them. I would go onto diets and I would be cheating but I didnt see it, it wasnt until my pre-op diet, with the fear of having my surgery cancelled, that I stuck to it and realised just how badly I had done before.
I learnt alot from that and have come into this new life bolstered by my new knowledge and I am absolutely determined not to get back to where I was. I dont eat bread and chocolate and biscuits etc because I am scared of that old weakness, I dont want to know if I can control myself with them now, if I never test it I will never know and I truly dont want to know. All I have to do to stay strong is look at old pictures of myself and remember back to how wretched I felt.
I am by no means at the end of my journey, quite the contrary, I am at the very beginning, this is to be a life long journey and my guard cant drop for even a moment, not if I want to be successful in this life of good health and a slim body (to come).
Sorry, I have prattled on big time there lol
Do try to remember that saying though...'if you do as you always did then you will get what you always got', because its true, in many many aspects of life but definately on this weight loss journey.
Sorry if Ive bored you all lol
Steph xx

P.S...when I say 'you' I mean the figurative 'you', not anybody in particular.

as an NHS patient I feel that if I don't maintain the weight loss then I have p****d all over the opportunity I have been given and that's not fair to all the people who are fighting for funding.

I sooooooo agree with you there. I totally believe that if I had paid for my surgery myself, if I failed then I could say yes but it was my money to waste, but as an NHS patient it wasnt, it was public money that I was blessed to get and I will NOT spit in the face of those that granted me that money by doing badly or going back to old habits. People are fighting sooooo hard to get funding and failing to get it and then there are some that get it and squander it, which is really sad.
I soooo agree with you.
Steph xx

Great post Stephie.

It's true, I'm still a WLS baby and although it's very early days I made the decision to have this surgery over 2 years ago and thought all about what this would mean to me.

It's my 2nd chance at living a healthy life and I'd be a fool to throw this away. I am no where near goal yet, but I'm taking this one day at a time. I've got the rest of my life to live and my bypass is going to help me live it, hopefully for a long time!

i cant comment for other ops but ive now had 2 bands fail on me and ive re gained weight both times so with banding for me its not been 4 ever, im hoping to have a permancy put on this, i welll fked off again soz i dont mean to dampen the thread :(

Liz...you have gone through so much with your bands, I really do feel for you xx I am hoping that they will consent to a more permanent solution for you xx
Steph xx

ty steph im 5 yrs post op 2 bands down the road and its boillixed again not holding the fills im gaining again as old habbits die hard espesh with banding, im sorry to say but ive had enuff now, if i dont get my request then i want this band removed and its game over 4 me because each band scars the tum 2 much x

I really feel for you Liz. It must be so bloody frustrating! Do you know when they will make the decision on revision surgery for you?

I wish you all the luck in the world x

dont know gail i get a check thursday see if the 5 mil they recently put in has emptied again, which i know it has already i knew 2 hrs after tbh :(

SOZ im just on a Downa:(

Liz...Im putting you in my prayers xx I am not an overly religious person but I do pray at least a few times a week and it seemed to work a charm on my journey, so if you dont mind Im putting you into my prayers xx
Steph xx

Back