• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does food still get stuck in future?

emmakc

Hi, I've read a few times about people eating and having a really uncomfortable feeling where the food is stuck. From what I've read it seems to be where the food is too dry. Is this something that we have to live with forever or does the process of eating actually go back to normal eventually?

Hi em,
After my op and a few weeks into recovery, I was severely depressed because I thought that I'd made the worst decision of my life by having a gastric bypass because of the post op complications that I was having. I could barely eat, everything I ate felt "stuck" and the nausea that I had after eating was enough to put me off eating for life! I was sick at least 4 times a day for about a good 2 months.

*Roll on (almost) 4 months later*

I feel amazing, I'm loosing weight at a nice steady pace. I can more or less eat what I like without getting, or feeling sick. The only foods that I avoid are instant noodles and rice. Those are the only foods that give me that "stuck" feeling and after eating them I do need to throw up to feel better.
I thought I'd never be able to eat bread again as I used to really suffer for it afterwards but I've just had a yummy crusty, cheese roll for lunch and it went down nicely!
I think with any WLS you just need to give your body time to heal and that fact that we are all different means there isn't a standard way of recovering.
In time, you get used to a new way of eating, learning what not to eat, or learning how to eat certain foods. I used to read that advice all the time on here and think that it would never be that way for me, but it is now and my only worry now is that I'll start to enjoy food too much again and not keep loosing!
Time for me to crank up the exercise and keep at track of what I am eat on MyFitnessPal. I also plan on joining Curves next week :)

Hi Emma try not to worry bout it we are all different. I had very few problems did feel sick often but never was sick. I didn't really try bread at all till I was bout 5-6 months post op. I sometimes feel bit bloated but thta is mainly if i have a scone or muffin bread variety, but they used to feel like they were stuck, just kept the water going down to flush it through. I struggled with fish it used ot feel stuck, i still have it now and again but it is very dry. Apart from that and constipation it has been fine. I can eat anyhting i want now i am just over 1 year post op and at the start you cna mix things like cheese with potato or gravy to keep the food from being to dry. I used to sometimes make the bisto cheese sauce for a nice change. What doesn't suit you now might well suit you 2 or 3 weeks down the line its just our bodies. Good luck with it all xx

Hi fading grace, that crusty cheese roll sounds Devine! I'm 5 weeks post op and now have the confidence to try new foods. I'm so pleased to read this post as I thought like you I would not be able to eat nice things again! When you say you can eat anything does that mean healthy food or can you have the likes of Chinese, Indian, Italian foods, don't mean take aways but cooking them yourself or going to restaurant? Also what about deserts? X

Hi fading grace, that crusty cheese roll sounds Devine! I'm 5 weeks post op and now have the confidence to try new foods. I'm so pleased to read this post as I thought like you I would not be able to eat nice things again! When you say you can eat anything does that mean healthy food or can you have the likes of Chinese, Indian, Italian foods, don't mean take aways but cooking them yourself or going to restaurant? Also what about deserts? X

Hi Dimond,
Well, I have make my own chicken korma which is lovely, but sadly, since I can no longer eat rice I won't have that any more, but if I miss it too much I could have some with a roti I suppose :D . I do miss Chinese food, but as yet I haven't had the urge to order any and the things I like most are special friend rice and noodles, both are which are on my hit list of foods i can't tolerate! :rolleyes: i think if I did order some Chinese food it would probably be some soup and maybe some chicken but I want to hold off from eating fast food for as long as I can, or make my won healthier versions of the things that I like. *Rubs her halo*
I as said, I haven't been eating take-aways but from time to time I have a small amount of shop bought pizza which I eat with salad. I am not going to be a food nun by denying myself certain foods, I just won't eat big amounts of so called "bad" foods.
I try and eat healthy most of the time and luckily for me I've never had a sweet tooth so I don't crave deserts that much. I do love pop ices though!
I used to have quite a big love affair with cheesecake but that's vanished since my op. I'll have a lil' scoop of ice cream every now and again, but generally I don't crave sweet things at all.
I always feel so guilty whenever I eat, say a bag of crisps. I don't want to have guilt with food, I want to enjoy it and just make sure that I keep myself in check and that I don't slip into bad habits by upping the quantity that I have.
I think that when I start doing more exercise I will feel less guilt with having the odd treat here and there knowing that I'm burning up lots more calories :)

Thanks for you're reply, I think when you are going through the first stages you feel you won't be able to eat anything ' nice' again. I don't want to start on take a ways again, havnt gone though all this for nothing! But it would be nice to think I could have a little bit of this/ that if I wanted to. I like you don't want to stress over food anymore and feel guilty if iv had something naughty. Iv done that for years and no longer want to feel like that. I hope I do aswell as you have. Xxx

Dimond I ahve been to the Italian a couple of imes since my op and been out for several meals, also been away on holiday but in England only since op and ahve eaten proper meals wether it is iatlian chinese whatever, ust try to have little bit of what i fancy but try to keep it healthy as i can, if its restaurant i always take a plastic carton too bring home what i can't eat, i'v paid so i'll take it with me, no one has said anythiong yet sometimes have forgotten my dish and thye have found one for me. xx

Thanks chrisa that's good to hear xxx

Thanks ladies - I've not had my op yet, its on 28th and I'm getting cold feet (again). I've already cancelled once so if I cancel again that's it! I'm just scared that I'll regret my decision and will never have a "normal" life again. I know its not normal to eat the way I do, but to think NEVER is a huge thing. Sorry, I'm a bit down today must be the pre-op diet.

Its normal to get the nerves Emma, and to feel a bit down before surgery I'm sure..... But you can see by all these posts that it varys so much from person to person what and how they eat.. I am nearly 6 weeks out of surgery now, and find that so far I can eat pretty much anything but in very small quantities. But then again I haven't been brave enough to try eating anything high in fat or sugar and at the moment, don't really feel any need to..
The 28th isn't so far away now, just hang in there, and you will be fine I'm sure. xx

Thanks Amanda, feeling better now (what am I like). I had my pre-op appointment and my dr put my mind at rest. I just want to get it over with now. This time next week I'll be recovering!

I'm nearly 15mths out & on occasion if foods are to dry or I don't chew enough & focus on my eating then yes things can get stuck. Last weekend we went for a pub dinner with my father in law & I had roast beef what I couldn't eat I brought home in a pot, reheated it on Monday night & the beef stick after a few mouthfuls. So once it cleared I had yoghurt for tea & a protein bar instead the veggies got thrown & the need made my son a lovely sandwich for work the next day, lol..
But usually I have no problems & there's little I can't eat, rice , pasta & omelettes are the 3 things I struggle with but that is as much the day if the week rather than the food type I think. Pre-packed ready meals rice I can eat a little of, a little pasta but home cooked rice didn't work nor dies to much home cooked pasta, omelettes again are a problem but baked omelettes are fine,.i've not tried them that often but need to again soon to see if things are easier. Others I know have no problem with them so its often an individual thing with foods. It's a learning curve & trial & error but 8st down & I'm still glad I did it despite the odd challenge as I can do so much more & feel so much better there's no contest!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I forgot to add a colleague sat watching me eat my lunch on Thursday & was amazed I could eat normally & was even more so when I said I had been back on solids from 4wks post op with support from the dietitian as I was off abroad on holiday at 5wks post op.
what was my lunch? A sandwich 2slices bread, a tablespoon if that of lite sandwich spread, walkers baked crisps, a muller lite yoghurt and a nectarine eaten slowly over an hour. I was a little overfull the yoghurt was larger than I usually have & bread can sometimes be a little temperamental if I eat it to often. Managed it for lunch 3days running felt rough yesterday afternoon so none over the weekend to give my pouch a break. It may be a coincidence but I respect my pouch if its unhappy I'm unhappy so I listen when it complains.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

It may be a coincidence but I respect my pouch if its unhappy I'm unhappy so I listen when it complains.

Thanks, that did make me smile - I'll definitely be respecting my pouch when she gets here! Its good to hear that you can eat relatively normally. I'm excited to get the op out of the way now, but I must say, venturing into the unknown is still scary as hell!

I've not had anything "stuck" as such, I'm almost 4 months out. I have had the feeling that things don't sit well or that I've had to be sick but to be honest, although unpleasant at the time I do enjoy the reminder to watch what I eat. I can eat pretty much anything when it comes to healthy foods and can manage most foods that some people find hard. Bread - better if toasted but can eat non toasted, I restrict how often so not to get into a habit, can't manage more than a slice which is good. Rice a spoonful is nice very occasionally but anymore and I feel very uncomfortable. Pasta, I can eat tinned pasta very easily and actually avoid this as I know it can slide through quickly, fresh pasta is possible but it's very painful, again something I would restrict anyway if it wasn't so not a problem not to have it. Protein like chicken or lean steak is super filling and can only manage around 70g's at a time but I can eat it and try to have it often. Most eggs are fine, a fried egg edges are hard to digest but they aren't the healthiest way to eat them anyway, so is the edge of an omelette so I baked them in the oven or have scrambled, boiled or poached. So really you discover quite quickly what you can manage and to be honest a few foods that don't go down as well is ok, you will probably find new foods you enjoy more anyway :) x

I agree "Respect The Pouch"! It'll soon tell you yes or no! I'm 2 years post-op now and pretty much can eat what I like (hmmm...) as long as I eat s-l-o-w-l-y and avoid sugar. My main bugbears seem to be white bread (so I avoid it) and grilled pork (see above). Having said that, even now I'll eat something that I've eaten countless times before and for no reason I can fathom, it sticks. Hey ho.

I have a sleeve & 6 months post op & food still gets stuck for me. Like previous posts all the usual suspects bread, pasta, rice so I just avoid them. I struggle to eat any real volume & I am never hungry hence have problems getting my protein daily allowance. I take protein shakes as supplements (all approved by hospital team). I think it depends on the individual as my friend had same op as me by same surgeon & she can eat almost anything without it getting stuck.

Back