• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

does weight loss = fat loss ?

jellykelly

so around the start of November 2015 when i had finished my appointments with my dietician i weighed 23 stone and 10lbs :eek: :sigh:
and I've been weighing weekly and i now weigh 21 stone 7lbs.

my scales are pretty accurate and made sure i was satisfied with them before deciding to keep them they weigh to the nearest 1/4 of a lb. i weighed today at 21stone 6 1/4 - 1/2 but because it wasn't consistant i just went up to 7lbs.

If I'm doing the maths right and according to myfitnesspal thats a total of 31 lbs lost.which i think is the same as 2stone and 3lbs ? (correct me if I'm wrong)

and from last Wednesday to this Wednesday I've lost 8lbs ,

i have been really strict with what i eat and probably not eating as much as i should but it seems to be working so I'm just going to suck it up although i did have one cheat this week at a christmas party :( but still lost quite a bit .

my question is if I've lost just over 2 stone is this defiantly fat or could i be loosing this 2 stone from somewhere else i know I'm very large and not expecting to see results this early on but i thought i would feel something go down abit thats why I'm thinking what if I'm not loosing fat?

or i this because i am so big it doesn't really make a difference early on.

i know i still have a very long way to go , but i don't see my dietician anymore and I'm just waiting for surgery so don't know if I'm doing this right as I've heard of muscle loss and water weight.

Really wish i had my dietician to turn to as i have loads of questions that i didn't ask but another one is if you dramatically cut portion sizes and calorie intake a longer than the 2 weeks before surgery is the surgery still affective ?

my questions probably don't make any sense but if someone can somehow understand my nonsense i would be grateful . thanks :):p

Last edited:
Yes it will be fat, you can't lose over 2st of fluid over a sustained period so well done!! Without being rude you will have a lot of internal fat also do you may well not notice it. You are doing really well so keep at it and keep motivated! Xmas is a dangerous time but use this as the motivation you need to keep making good choices! Well done x

weight loss is weight loss so very well done on just that level! i once saw on a tv programme about weight loss and it showed an whole body x ray and it showed "fat" all around the major organs, liver heart etc and it said how we have fat inside our body not just the lardy stuff everyone sees on the outside does that answer your question for you?

Currently it is fat loss yes :) Insufficient calorie intake means your body will be burning your fat stores making you lose weight. The calorie deficit type thing. You're burning more than you're taking in which is a good thing! After a lot of fat loss you probably will have muscle loss unless you do lots of regular exercise but then that may result in weight gain as your muscles strengthen and grow. Without exercise the muscle loss becomes apparent but that's usually after you've burnt your fat stores.
Does that make any sense? :p xXx

Yes it will be fat, you can't lose over 2st of fluid over a sustained period so well done!! Without being rude you will have a lot of internal fat also do you may well not notice it. You are doing really well so keep at it and keep motivated! Xmas is a dangerous time but use this as the motivation you need to keep making good choices! Well done x

OK thanks , yes i know i think the alcohol will be the bigger problem for me as i like to have a drink at christmas but in turn when i have the alcohol it lowers my will power against the food and makes me ore hungry so will be difficult but I'm glad to see something is working thanks for the reply X

weight loss is weight loss so very well done on just that level! i once saw on a tv programme about weight loss and it showed an whole body x ray and it showed "fat" all around the major organs, liver heart etc and it said how we have fat inside our body not just the lardy stuff everyone sees on the outside does that answer your question for you?

thanks for reply ...thankyou and yes i suppose it does, its easy to forget about that horrible to think about, but hopefully my insides are in a bit better shape then :) X

Currently it is fat loss yes :) Insufficient calorie intake means your body will be burning your fat stores making you lose weight. The calorie deficit type thing. You're burning more than you're taking in which is a good thing! After a lot of fat loss you probably will have muscle loss unless you do lots of regular exercise but then that may result in weight gain as your muscles strengthen and grow. Without exercise the muscle loss becomes apparent but that's usually after you've burnt your fat stores.
Does that make any sense? :p xXx

Yes thanks for the info , great news can't complain about that! I'm glad something is working for me , I'm doing moderate excersice nothing major as i find when i join the gym i feel to weak when I'm not eating 'normal' foods so wear myself down so to combat that i eat foods to give me the energy i need but then I'm only burning them off not loosing my big load of excess .
thanks for the replys X

Yes thanks for the info , great news can't complain about that! I'm glad something is working for me , I'm doing moderate excersice nothing major as i find when i join the gym i feel to weak when I'm not eating 'normal' foods so wear myself down so to combat that i eat foods to give me the energy i need but then I'm only burning them off not loosing my big load of excess .
thanks for the replys X

If I'm honest, I never once in the 2 years since my op did any 'proper' exercise. Couldn't afford to go to the gym, and i suffer with D&A and can't leave the house so going for a walk was a major mental task. Just was an active, quite literal, SAHM. I lost 12.5 stone in total :) Keep going. What you're doing sounds spot on xXx

Back