• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Don't think I'm going to be a dumper.

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
I've had several stressful days and haven't been eating what I should. Not that we're talking pre-op style binges but definitely some bad choices. This is what I had yesterday:

milky coffee for breakfast
one can of heinz tomato soup.
raspberries in jelly
half a small baked potato with lots of light marg and grated cheese.
2 m&s count on us chocolate desserts.

I'm nearly 4 weeks post op and on the pureed stage. Now I know I didn't have a huge amount of food but those m&s desserts had 18% sugar and I had one of them immediately after the baked spud. So surely I would have dumped on that?
Also the heinz soup has sugar in it and I ate it fine. I didn't feel any restriction either on a whole can when I'm supposed to be having no more than two tablespoons at a time. I drank it quickly too.

The weight is still dropping off every day too so I'm rather confused about this post op diet. I'm worried that I'm going to be able to eat anything eventually and won't be able to stop. The only time I've felt properly full to the point it hurts is when I tried scrambled egg. I had to throw up after that.

I'm not yet a week post-op, so not sure how much help I can be, but I can also get down more liquid and purees than I expected, but think it's because it slides through. I have heard other people say you don't really feel your restriction until you start on solid proteins though, so keep calm and carry on!
xXx

cant offer any help as waiting for my op but hope you both okay, try not to worry x

Liquids and purees go down a lot easier than solid food like scrambled egg (I still can't eat 1 egg scrambled)
Just because you didn't dump this time don't assume that you won't.
I ate some full fat clotted cream ice cream and was fine then a week later had some baked beans and dumped for England.
There is no rhyme or reason for dumping on certain foods what you are ok with one day may cause a dump the next

It's possible you didn't dump with the dessert after your jacket spud as the total amount of food in your tummy would have had less than 10% sugar.

To be honest I don't think you're eating enough anyway and your protein count in very low and if that was all you had with regards to fluids as well, you really need to up the intake. Slider foods like soup and potato will go through your pouch a lot quicker than anything with a high protein content and therefore leaving you feeling hungry quickly.

Tomato soup never made me dump and it was one of the first meals I had post surgery. I did have a cream of chicken soup which made me dump slightly but some people dump and others don't.

Take a look at your post surgery diet plan from your provider to reaquaint yourself with the foods you should be chosing rather than sliding back into old habits. The surgery is only a tool to help you, you still need to make the right choices and try to prevent yourself from reverting back to the choices that brought you to surgery in the first place.

Can't really say a lot as still pre-op but I think as the others have said once you up the protein content you will feel full quicker and for longer so then the sugar count may affect you but as the others have said from what the dietitian said to me don't count on dumping to help you break old habits as not everyone dumps. So perhaps you are one of those bypassers who won't perhaps it is to early to tell.
If you want someone to chat to re the stress you are dealing with at the moment feel free to personal message me and I will let you have my number. No offence will be taken if you would rather not as I am sure you have a support circle of friends who know you better but here if you want.

Yorkie first off you are very early post op, be gentle with your newly acquired tum....

As Wendy said food is a funny old thing and what don't bother you this week can bother you next week. Count yourself lucky that you didn't dump and put choc desserts out of your head and also out of your house from now on.

Now for the restriction bit. You know soups etc are slider foods and thus won't stay in your tum long enough to give you the sensation of fullness. However you also know scrambled eggs caused you enough discomfort to make you sick so the restriction is there...

Generally take it easy, don't rush things.

But most of all: You had all that cbt, use the tools it gave you to sort out why you ate the dessert in the first place xxx

It has been so long since I was newly post op but I do remember some things from personal experience and some that I learned. As others have said, eating stuff that slides through and eating solids are two different matters. Also, how long you take to eat matters. Finally, in the early weeks your pouch is still healing so you dont feel as much restriction.

I didnt dump a whole lot either BUT I became instantly lactose intolerant!! I also got deathly sick on sugar alcohol. In the beginning I lived off of things like mashed potatoes, maltomeal, refried beans with cheese, s/f yogurt and s/f carnation instant breakfast but not much as much of the second two because other than cheese milk products made me sicker than a dog. Oh yeah, s/f jello too!

Once I graduated to real food I ate scrambled eggs, Wendy's chili or two chicken nuggets, and tuna. I also ate softer Lean Cuisines but not very much before getting full. That is when I really noticed my restriction.

Because the RNY was a revision surgery I was told I wouldnt lose as much or as fast but I lost to my goal within six months.

Hang in there, it will get better once you can feel your pouch. In the meantime try getting in more protein even if it is protein powder.

All the best,
Kellye

thanks everyone. i've been feeling really hungry the last few days and I know it's head hunger. I've got some dairylea cheese triangles to help up my protein and will have a look for some protein powder.

I have a feeling that I am deliberately trying to self sabotage and I think it's because I currently weigh 18 stone 4lbs. I haven't been under 18 stone for over ten years and once I go under it I know I'm well on my way to being a normal weight. My personal demons don't want me to get thin.
Today I bought some potato salad and sucked the mayo and chives off the potato. I craved that taste so much. I only had a little though. I think it was because I'd not eaten before going shopping so I made a bad choice.

This wls thing is not as easy as I hoped it would be. But I'll get there. I just need to think a bit more before I put things in my gob.

Bought a gorgeous size 22/24 summer dress from evans today though to cheer myself. Pre-op I was a 28/30!

I think you will find that when you up your protein your hunger will diminish.

Great job on the size reduction. That was also a motivator too. Just dont fall into the trap of weighing daily or worse, multiple times daily. Instead get some reference jeans and try them on a few times a month. Seeing them starting to fit was super inspiring. Plus you can hold water weight due to TOM or sodium intake.

Hipe this helps!!
Kellye

Great news about the new dress. Nothing like a bit of retail therapy to make you feel better. Keep up the good work, I think those old demons will be tough to shake for us all a lot of changes to get our heads and hearts around all at once. Fight one battle at a time and you will get there no doubt you are not the first nor the last if for no other reason I am behind you and expect to face my own demons at somepoint along my journey. Good luck and here if you need me.

Back