• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Don't want to take too much with me...but...

The thing I couldn't have managed without was a set of earplugs! The hospital is sooooo noisy at night and these meant I could sleep for a few hours at least. Good luck, not too long to wait:)

Great idea!!! My partner has loads in a box from his last factory job. I will steal some :D

And yeah, 20 days to go. Nervous but excited :D

Today I bought two more lightweight nighties. My bag is nearly set! Its gonna be great :D

Just ordered some foam mouth swabs off amazon. I had to use these to give my nan cordial when she was ill in hospital and her mouth was dry. They were 99p!! And also some dry mouth spray :)

I probably will! Wherever I go, I always pack more than I need lol

The bypass pack the hospital gave me said most of their patients are in for one night. Some for two. But then a lady who is having her op the day after me said people from oour hospital have told her 3 days.

So then I want to plan for every eventuality. I guess I can plan for 2 nights. If I have to stay in longer, have emergency kit at home that my partner can bring in.

How long was everyone else in with a bypass?? And how did you pack?

as you know Sophie, i was packed and ready to roll when the 'tish' hit the fan at heartlands..... i am still packed and ready to go!! but had to buy a new dressing gown today as the one i bought for january op is a big fluffy thing... this new one is a sexy slinky number. ( and 18!) as i am still dieting ( of sorts) so i have - 2 pairs PJ'S, tissues, baby wipes, windeze tabs, knickers, slippers, DGOWN. toiletries, kindle, MP3 player and A WATER BOTTLE SPRAY. The thirst is incredible (recall from my band op, and a wee spray into the mouth/lips is gr8 when you cant drink. also vaseline for lips. i may HAVE GOOD NEWS TOMORROW. I have been annoying the hell out of Niel Roger the Bariatric Manager, at last he has responded with something positive. he rang on friday to say that Mr Nijaar would date me on monday am and Sian would be calling me in the afternoon with a date( now i am not usually this aprehensive but) for obvious reasons i will 'believe it when i hear it) not long now for you though. bet you are getting very excited/nervous now.

I have everything crossed for you that they stick to their word this time!!

Well done on continuing to lose weight. That cant be the easiest thing in the face of all the struggles. Well done for fighting. It is a shame that it is what seems to need to be done at Heartlands at the moment :(

I didn't think of windeze tablets. Might get that or some gripe water. And some vaseline :)

Trying to get a kindle before my op. Money is a little limited though. Even for a baby one. I have kindle on my iphone. But not sure I will want to read anything that small after lol

I really, really hope I see a (probably cautious) woohoo thread from you tomorrow. You deserve it sooo much xxx

yes, here's hoping! although i did get a letter yesterday ( mrsfarm got one too) saying they were back on track and would be asking people to come in for another consultation, reasses pre-op diet and tailor surgery dates to individual needs ( whatever that means) but thats a backwards step again for me from - 'you will get a date monday'. their right hand doesnt quite know what the left is doing at present, i got a letter 3 weeks after my op date, telling me my upcoming operation was to be cancelled!!! so either way Sophie i think i might get either a date or appt tomorrow. i know if i had a chance to meet with the surgeon it would be lucrative, although my BMI is still 48, i am the BIGGEST PEAR SHAPE you have ever seen. if you see me from behind a desk you would say i was about 12 stone..... then when i stand up.... its like someone elses body!! i am 18-20 top and 24 bottom my legs are enormous!!! but i have no fat on my midriff, so would be plain sailing from lap. point of view. i know their reluctance is because of previous bariatric surgery, but i 'sail' through operations. still i am sure they have their reasons.

Hi Dani how you feeling now! whats kindle!! I will have to tell those nurses how to use cpap,its so easy press the on switch,,lol

yes, here's hoping! although i did get a letter yesterday ( mrsfarm got one too) saying they were back on track and would be asking people to come in for another consultation, reasses pre-op diet and tailor surgery dates to individual needs ( whatever that means) but thats a backwards step again for me from - 'you will get a date monday'. their right hand doesnt quite know what the left is doing at present, i got a letter 3 weeks after my op date, telling me my upcoming operation was to be cancelled!!! so either way Sophie i think i might get either a date or appt tomorrow. i know if i had a chance to meet with the surgeon it would be lucrative, although my BMI is still 48, i am the BIGGEST PEAR SHAPE you have ever seen. if you see me from behind a desk you would say i was about 12 stone..... then when i stand up.... its like someone elses body!! i am 18-20 top and 24 bottom my legs are enormous!!! but i have no fat on my midriff, so would be plain sailing from lap. point of view. i know their reluctance is because of previous bariatric surgery, but i 'sail' through operations. still i am sure they have their reasons.

It is totally confusing!!!! I will probably have a response about my complaint to PALS 6 months after my op. I made it clear in my complaint that I wanted to know hy everything seemed so messed up. I guess the answer to that would take a loooong time lol

My shoulders are a hell of a lot smaller than my bottom half too. People think I am a lot slimmer from upper body shots. But mine is more like 1-2 sizes difference. I wish I had a flat stomach! lol...Mine is not great. Especially since having my 11lb 14oz som in 2008 and gaining to abdominal hernias with him lol

I am seeing doctor Nijjar at 4pm tomorrow. I am writing down questions to ask him. My pre op is a week later.

I was only thinking of you this morning and how horrible it must have been being cancelled. Even with 2.5 weeks notice I would be heartbroken. But the day before :( Terrible!

Really hope you are getting an ASAP date tomorrow. April or before would be nice. May is taking the mick after all you have been through. But then I guess having a date is better than no date.

What an emotional inducing rollercoaster this WLS journey is. And more so at some hospitals compared to others :( (ours being one of them) xxx

Hi Dani how you feeling now! whats kindle!! I will have to tell those nurses how to use cpap,its so easy press the on switch,,lol

Just thought I would answer the bit about the Kindle. Its an ereader by Amazon to read books on. The pages look more like paper and its really cool :)

I ended up staying much longer than average but I took in two nightgowns and thin dressing gown, 4 pairs of knicks, bra that I went in in but never wore again while in there. Toiletries, nas juice, iphone and two mags. I had to have nighties and briefs taken home and washed as I ended up in for almost two weeks. I am glad I took in sanitary towels as even though I had not needed them for over a year, I needed them after the op sigh!! Apparently its not uncommon for ladies to menstruate following major surgery. (Sorry guys if tmi!)

I do know if I had only been in for a couple of days like I thought it would have been, I wouldn't have needed the magazines or anything to pass the time as all I did was sleep for the first day or so.

The ward supplied me with towels and tissues but I did take mine in but kept them in my case.

Oh and btw, in my case scenario, pj's wouldn't have been very practical at first as I had two drains in and a catheter along with the cannula lines. A nightdress was easier to wear whilst being hooked up to the paraphernalia. But of course not everyone has these post op. :)

I ended up staying much longer than average but I took in two nightgowns and thin dressing gown, 4 pairs of knicks, bra that I went in in but never wore again while in there. Toiletries, nas juice, iphone and two mags. I had to have nighties and briefs taken home and washed as I ended up in for almost two weeks. I am glad I took in sanitary towels as even though I had not needed them for over a year, I needed them after the op sigh!! Apparently its not uncommon for ladies to menstruate following major surgery. (Sorry guys if tmi!)

I do know if I had only been in for a couple of days like I thought it would have been, I wouldn't have needed the magazines or anything to pass the time as all I did was sleep for the first day or so.

The ward supplied me with towels and tissues but I did take mine in but kept them in my case.

Oh and btw, in my case scenario, pj's wouldn't have been very practical at first as I had two drains in and a catheter along with the cannula lines. A nightdress was easier to wear whilst being hooked up to the paraphernalia. But of course not everyone has these post op. :)

Thank you very much for that :)

What made you have to be in for 2 weeks? What went wrong? (sorry for being nosey :) )

Thank you very much for that :)

What made you have to be in for 2 weeks? What went wrong? (sorry for being nosey :) )

Unfortunately I ended up having open surgery. My surgeon didn't want me to go home until my drains had dried out. I did have my gall bladder out at the same time which made my operation a little more complicated I guess. I think I was just a little unlucky. But its all good now xx

Jen1961 said:
Unfortunately I ended up having open surgery. My surgeon didn't want me to go home until my drains had dried out. I did have my gall bladder out at the same time which made my operation a little more complicated I guess. I think I was just a little unlucky. But its all good now xx

Aaww that's a lot to take on. I have gallstones already. Gonna ask tomorrow if it will be coming out the same times. Also have hernias in need of repair. But really hope they hold off on them.

Glad you are ok now chick and thanks for sharing xxx

well Sophie, no yay! from me today.... although i have the 2nd best thing... i have a date to see Mr Nijaar on thursday to discuss my date. so hopefully if i get 6 weeks it will be end April. anything before that is a bonus. i do feel things are moving SLIGHTLY For me now. fingers crossed its 4 -6 weeks from now x

kate thomson said:
well Sophie, no yay! from me today.... although i have the 2nd best thing... i have a date to see Mr Nijaar on thursday to discuss my date. so hopefully if i get 6 weeks it will be end April. anything before that is a bonus. i do feel things are moving SLIGHTLY For me now. fingers crossed its 4 -6 weeks from now x

I really hope you get some joy :) he had all his appointments in a pc in the room today. So looks like he has control over his own list. I got 4 weeks notice. So fingers crossed for 6 weeks or even better LESS notice :D

I probably will! Wherever I go, I always pack more than I need lol

The bypass pack the hospital gave me said most of their patients are in for one night. Some for two. But then a lady who is having her op the day after me said people from oour hospital have told her 3 days.

So then I want to plan for every eventuality. I guess I can plan for 2 nights. If I have to stay in longer, have emergency kit at home that my partner can bring in.

How long was everyone else in with a bypass?? And how did you pack?
Hi my hospital was in Sunderland and i went in on the Friday lunch time and had op first thing Sat morning i was 1st down due to the fact i had sleep apnoea and possible complications but all went fine all staff lovely i came home on the Monday lunch time. I took pj's 2sets dressing gown slippers pants wash bag puzzle books which i couldn;t really concentrate on, but i also took my eye pod and phone which i used very often basically that was it you need nothing else really. Good luck and all will be well i haven;t looked back my only problem was constipation in the 1st week, i also got rid of the sleep apnoea at Christmas time due to my weight loss so marvellous. xx

This is like that game from when you're young "I'm going on holiday and in my bag I packed..."

I am going to list my bag in what I found to be of the most important to the least important - just for interest!

1.Dry mouth spray (top tip, Thank you Rayne)
2.Toothbrush & Paste
3.Wet wipes & spray deo
4.Nighty x1 for first day when in bed
5.loose leggings & Old T shirts x 2 (wore day and night)
6.Dry shampoo and hairbursh
7.Resistance band to hook my legs in and out of bed - strange I know but very useful.
8.Flipflops
I wore pants into hospital and out - none in between, You won't need socks as you will have your stockings on all the time for the next 4 weeks!
I took my lap top and kindle and did not use them as tended just to sleep and sip. My surgeon would not let me sip from a water bottle as he said it made you take in too much additional air. I was not allowed free fluids until 2 hours before going home either.

Oh and I took my CPAP - but none of the nurses knew what to do with it, despite me checking before going to theatre they would be happy to put it on when I got back...it was rather funny trying to explain it and feeling drunk !

Good luck with your bag packing ladies!
xxx
yes i took my machine and they didn;t know what to do with it i had it all set up and ready right next to the bed so i could have it on was fine jus switched on when came back no problem. I went back to sleep clinic in November to get wired for another sleep test and the results were good i no loger needed the machine merry christmas to me don;t even snore now xx

Hi my hospital was in Sunderland and i went in on the Friday lunch time and had op first thing Sat morning i was 1st down due to the fact i had sleep apnoea and possible complications but all went fine all staff lovely i came home on the Monday lunch time. I took pj's 2sets dressing gown slippers pants wash bag puzzle books which i couldn;t really concentrate on, but i also took my eye pod and phone which i used very often basically that was it you need nothing else really. Good luck and all will be well i haven;t looked back my only problem was constipation in the 1st week, i also got rid of the sleep apnoea at Christmas time due to my weight loss so marvellous. xx

Thanks for that :D And thats brilliant about your sleep apnoea :)

I went to see my surgeon Monday. He said there are two of us down to be operated on the day I go in. He said I will either be 8.45am or just after midday.

And then he said I may be in until monday or tuesday with it being weekend, as they will need to use this dye to make sure there are no leaks.

He said I will have a chatheter in that will probably come out saturday and a drain from my stomach :(

Made me feel nervous again lol

My foam oral swabs (sounds wrong lol) turned up today. Still waiting for dry mouth spray. Just ordered to plastic retainers body jewellery bars for an area that my surgeon found amusing, but was very helpful in answering my question lol

My foam oral swabs (sounds wrong lol) turned up today. Still waiting for dry mouth spray. Just ordered to plastic retainers body jewellery bars for an area that my surgeon found amusing, but was very helpful in answering my question lol
hi sophie, i am seeing Mr Richardson? any info, on him?]

Another woman on the Heartlands WLS support page said she has been switched to him suddenly too. She said its because her case is more complex, as she has a good chance of needing to go to ITU. Maybe he has more overall experience than Mr Nijjar??!! Confusing!

Are you nervous about tomorrow?? Maybe more so now they have changed the surgeon.

Back