• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Our biggest enemy???

phatmomma

I've been thinking about it a bit over the last few days and was umming and ahhing over whether to post or not..

My biggest enemy whenever i've dieted won't change greatly after i've had my gastric bypass as from when i've done any of the major slimming groups....

My biggest enemy is <<<drum roll>>>

COMPLACENCY

I am scared i'll get complacent as i always do and the bad habits will slip in or i'll get to a certain size i've never or haven't been at for a long time e.g size 18 and think hey ho i'm not fat anymore i don't need to diet... I'm scared people will say to me i look great and don't need to lose when i actually will need to continue...

I'm not getting any younger and it's commonly known it's harder to shift the older you get.....

waffley waffle over..........

I've been thinking about it a bit over the last few days and was umming and ahhing over whether to post or not..

My biggest enemy whenever i've dieted won't change greatly after i've had my gastric bypass as from when i've done any of the major slimming groups....

My biggest enemy is <<<drum roll>>>

COMPLACENCY

I am scared i'll get complacent as i always do and the bad habits will slip in or i'll get to a certain size i've never or haven't been at for a long time e.g size 18 and think hey ho i'm not fat anymore i don't need to diet... I'm scared people will say to me i look great and don't need to lose when i actually will need to continue...

I'm not getting any younger and it's commonly known it's harder to shift the older you get.....

waffley waffle over..........

Julie, you're definately not alone there.. I'm also worried i'll take my eye off the ball after i get to a certain weight or start to feel comfortable.

I got down to about 14st before and the weight crept back up again even though i swore it wouldn't - so why not this time.

Not sure how this can be overcome aside from reminding ourselves why we went through this whole weight loss surgery in the first place.... To think positive and have faith in ourselves...xx

I love your honesty and I reckon that most people are fighting the same enemy as you. It is all too easy to slip and to get bad habits but if you continue to honest with everyone, especially yourself, you should be ok.
Dont worry Julie, you are going to rock!!!
Steph xx

Hun after 4 weeks and i was on solids and having a crap time with sickness my disgusting old bad habits slowly crept in and the past week i have had a constant battle to stop myself reverting back to emotional head hunger eating and make sure i make the right food choices.
Looking forward to meeting ya on Sat xxx

you are definitely not alone. I am 6 months post op and can feel my mood getting lower and lower due to not losing anymore weight and then in turn the bad habits are slipping in and its the same old vicious circle as before. I really thought that having the bypass had changed all that cos the first five months I never once thought about losing the weight or food or weight myself.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but if anyone has ideas on how to get back on track I would really appreciate it.

It is so hard to reprogram your brain. I've had permanent munchies for the past two weeks and i'm having to fight so hard to stay on track. I can no longer even buy cheese & crackers, or weight watchers crisps in as i seem to forget the "occasional" part in "occasional treat" !
I made the decision today whilst grocery shopping to only buy foods in that require cooking or effort to prepare, to remove the temptation to snack.
Don't get me wrong, its nowhere near as tough as when on a "diet" pre-op, and i've found that losing weight itself can become a bit addictive, so thats what has spurred me on to get back on the straight and narrow.
I think that many of us will fall off the wagon occasionally, its just much easier to get back on it post op x x

Great post Julie, and I will readily admit that I have been complacent since my bypass.

Dont get me wrong, I do follow the rules most of the time, but I do have the occasional thing that some of you would consider naughty. As I have said before though, I had the bypass to be normal, and in my opinion as long as the "treats" remain occasional treats then that puts me in the category of normal.

I am sure that there will come a point when the weight loss stops, and if that is short of where I want to end up, I will have to regroup my efforts and follow the rules more strictly. Also I know that the really hard work will start with maintenance. Not to make light of what we have all put ourselves through but losing weight is almost the "easy part" - especially in the first 6 months.

Great thought provoking post though Julie. Thanks hun. x

I found that when I had reverted back to the dreaded crisps and was eating nothing but carbs I stopped it all at once and ate much much more protein and very little carbs at all and no crisps. I was losing about a pound a week then when I changed my eating I have lost 3 pound in 4 days so my advice is PROTEIN all the way and loads of fluids as I have upped my fluid intake as well.
Hope this helps. Oh and Julie, you will be fine hun, you have seen how little I can eat no matter how much I want more I can only eat a small amount and I am stuffed to the brim so even if you do get complacent you will not physically be able to eat large amounts. Saying this I doubt if you will get complacent hun as you have had to fight so hard to get this operation I think you will sail through your journey to slimville xxx

Just want to say thanks for a brilliant post, I am just hoping I will be able to stay on the straight and narrow after the op, with just the occasional treat, but nowhere near as much as now xxxx

Im scared too, I lost over 9 stone before and swore Id never put it back on...and did! I really worry about getting complacent too .....fingers crossed x

Love your honesty Julie and like Sam i am the very same i have been quite complacent in my eating but i'v been lucky enough only to have suffered one stall of two weeks but if that stops short of my personal target then i need to re vamp but at the moment i will still allow myself the odd treats along the way. xx You will be great Julie xx

great post

I am at the stage of just getting back into size 18 - and the complacency is here :(

I have been "stuck" for 18days at the same weight.... desparate to lose more and keep telling myself it will happen - but very tempting to have more food even though I am not hungry :( because I feel despondent

In my previous diets i lost six stone and got complacent (and pregnant).. figured i knew it all and had it licked!

Please Lisa and Wendy when i'm saying to you how happy i am at 14stone in my size 18's kick me in the ass and tell me no you're not.... Get on with the rest of it girl xx

Hi Julie

You really have hit the nail on the head, its my biggest worry every time I've dieted this has kicked in well before it should have done and this time seems no different. I've had more talks with myself than I can count to keep on track, its blooming hard work that never stops..its a 'diet' alright if you want to get to the ultimate you ahve to follow the rules...if only I can get that in and stick to it. Glad to see so many others appreciate that fact

M

Very interesting thread, but is it complacency or is it sabotage and fear of success.

Us fatties have for so long been unsuccesful that when success does start to appear perhaps, we feel uncomfortable about it, or perhaps we feel that we dont deserve it.

We must remind each other that we can do it and we are worth it and help each other along the way.

Great post. I have got to size 14 and have thrown away all of my bigger sized clothes (kept them when I lost weight before, complacency hit and hence put back all the weight before I knew what was happening). I still have 2 stone to lose before I get to 10 st (which is a normal BMI for my height) and am already starting to feel normal so I think this might be a problem for me - I'm also in diabetic remission which was one of the things that kept me on the straight and narrow. I think the key is to be really vigilant in keeping an eye on my weight. Keep on weighing regularly (1 or 2 times a fortnight) and acting when my clothes become tight.

Back