• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

drinkng after gastric bypass

gr09

hi everyone
quick question which i feel silly for asking :eek: but when ive had by bypass (25/11/15)
will i be able to drink like 3 mouthfuls of water
i understand you cant eat and drink at the same time but will i be able to get a glass of water and have a couple of mouthfuls :confused:

Never feel silly for asking :)

If you are talking about having a couple of mouthfuls, at the same time as eating, then no :(

Different places seem to have different advice, but it seems to be no drinking between 20-60 minutes after eating

If you just mean drinking in general, try to take sips :)

I have forgotten to sip a couple of times and taking a big mouthful of water is uncomfortable. little and often is the key.
getting your fluids is the biggest job post op ,but it soon becomes a habit at least that's my experience

I have a sleeve and the most I can manage at one is three mouthfuls then I have to wait for it to filter through for a few minutes before I can drink again

thanks guys for clearing it up i guzzle throughout the day now so i should be fine with the remembering to drink itll be the remembering to not guzzle that will be the challenge

Gr09, for the first couple of weeks after the bypass you will be on simple fluids only (water, NAS squash, Etc). If your provider has the same instructions as mine, you will be expected to consume by tiny sipping 125ml every hour for 16hors a day for two weeks - nothing else. In my experience it will take three months to get back onto solid foods which will be introduced after week6. During that time you may struggle to eat the tiny portions so getting fluids in should be done either side of your three 'meals' a day - a meal is a portion of solid food the size of an egg

Back