• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

driving

kjb

How long before post-oppers felt comfortable to drive,most providers recommend 10-14 days,but I wondered if this was the norm as I still have some discomfort which I feel a seat belt would exacerbate

I was told I could drive after 10 days, I felt I could have driven sooner. I told my insurance and they were happy with 10 days. I think it really depends on what your insurance say. However, if you still feel tender and sore, don't even try it until you feel ready xx

My provider states 4 - 6 weeks. Due to the possible damage you could cause internally in the event of having to perform an emergency stop!

You must also bear in mind that modern cars are fitted with seat belt pre-tensioners which fire in the event of an accident which considerably tighten the seat belt to hold you in place. These themselves will leave marks on your skin just from tightening the seat belt let alone any further possible damage caused by movement your internal organs of your vehicle coming to a rapid stop.

I personally would say leave it as long as you can before driving.

AE.

Last edited:
Hummmm. My provider is as soon as you can do an emergency stop.

Last wls that meant I drove home :rolleyes: and this wls it was a week later. My insurance company told me it was my surgeons decision.

I'm more worried about falling asleep on the motorway through fatigue nowadays rather than not being able to stop :eek: have mastered throwing up whilst driving :D:cry::D

The DVLA say you have to be able to do an emergency stop, as did my provider. Different insurance companies have different guidelines (the company I worked for were REALLY strict)!!

As regards risk of injury - I would have thought that driving was no more dangerous than slipping over etc x

I didn't drive for 6 weeks. I live in London though so public transport is excellent.

I was naughty and drove after 8 days. My only reason being is that I live alone with my son with no family around me. I needed shopping and I felt fine. I would never have drove if I didn't feel well enough or safe. It probably wasn't the best thing to do but I was absolutely fine. The area I live in doesn't have good public transport links so I didn't have much option really. To be honest I felt great just for getting out of the house

Like princess I had to go shopping so I drove a short way to the shops 7 days post op.
My surgeon had told I could, as long I didn't feel too tired (light headed, dizzy, tender, sore, etc.) to drive.
Went back to work (30min. drive) 2 weeks post op.
Still haven't tried longer distances.

I drove 9 days post op and if I am being 100% honest I don't think I should of. However, I was told I could.

I have to be honest & say that due to some discomfort I think which may have been due to lesions that I'm not ready to drive @ 14 days post op,it does feel a little easier each day, but I think it may well take 4 wks or more

It depends on just one thing and that is your insurance provider. If you drive the car before their deadline you will be driving uninsured and committing an offence under the road traffic act so check with them first, if they say two weeks don't drive for two weeks x.

Last edited:
I waited 6 weeks before returning to driving after my bypass, as that's what my consultant advised me to do. If your unsure, ring your provider and ask their advice.

Back