• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dumping!

ClaireMarie

I've just dumped on a Complan light meal replacement sachet, I'm rather bitter about this as it's on my sheets given to me by the dietician after my bypass..for sure I'll be checking everything from now even what the "experts" suggested I eat.

I know there are a lot of people like me having their ops in October so just be aware, lol it's not nice :'(

When did you have your op? Early on I dumped on everything, now 4 months on I don't dump at all x

On the third. I'm not doing all that great, the first mushy I had I made too dry and it was like a lead brick in my chest, that was two days ago ha. Now I've dumped, I need to be more switched on :(

Once I got about 8 weeks in I stopped dumping. Hopefully it will get a bit easier for you x

I've just dumped on a Complan light meal replacement sachet, I'm rather bitter about this as it's on my sheets given to me by the dietician after my bypass..for sure I'll be checking everything from now even what the "experts" suggested I eat.

I know there are a lot of people like me having their ops in October so just be aware, lol it's not nice :'(

Hi, I had my bypass on the 1 October and have been living on complan. I can only manage half a sachet at a time. Were you able to drink all of it?

Hope you're feeling better x

You do? Wow the nutrition bar shows one sachet has 26.3g of sugar, I just managed four sips before I started to sweat, felt sick then had the most violent... well you know..it's the banana one

Don't get down this is all practice and part of the journey. It gets easier!

Don't get down this is all practice and part of the journey. It gets easier!

I think I'm falling apart ha. Functioning on a few hours sleep and trying to keep everything in our home ticking over (I foster three children) and prove to my husband who was very much against me having the surgery that I can manage this is taking it's toll. I just want to run away. Weak I know.

Every provider is different - for the first couple of weeks post bypass I was on 125ml hourly of simple plain fluids not meal replacements - Tea, coffee, Options hot choc, NAS squash, diluted fruit juice, milk, diluted Muller Lights, etc. The most exciting choice was Heinz Cream of Tomato (the one with the Chilli was delish). I am three months post bypass and am eating a wide range of foods now (all of them low sugar and fat, and obviously in small quantities). I have dumped a couple of times - I am usually meticulous about checking labels, but slipped-up on a portion of NAS Angel Delight. Hideous! It's all part of the learning curve and adapting to the future. When the sickness sets in from the move to solids, the challenges take a new direction - deeply unpleasant and frustrating but we get through. Those 4 stone I have lost in as many months which are gone forever are worth every minute of what seems like a struggle. Relax and keep it simple is my best advice. You are doing great xxx

I think I'm falling apart ha. Functioning on a few hours sleep and trying to keep everything in our home ticking over (I foster three children) and prove to my husband who was very much against me having the surgery that I can manage this is taking it's toll. I just want to run away. Weak I know.

Tell him to pull his finger out.

I have just Googled that banana Complan. It is 46.1% sugar! That is way too high - forever, let alone just now. We should aim for 7% or less really. The NAS Angel Delight I dumped really badly on during the week was 14.2% (similar to lots of 0% fat yogs!). I think you need to raise this with your provider if it's on the list of 'approved' liquids. Hugs a million hun xx

Last edited:
I suspect they're expecting you to really water it down with milk. I would have found it way too sweet - I found slimfast too sweet and stuck mostly to savoury and milky drinks in the first two weeks.

I suspect they're expecting you to really water it down with milk. I would have found it way too sweet - I found slimfast too sweet and stuck mostly to savoury and milky drinks in the first two weeks.

Hey Yve - it's weird how my sweet tooth seems to have fallen out during the op. I find my tastebuds are really heightened, and lots of drinks and foods are now too sweet, too salty, too spicy, etc. x

Thank you LilacGlitterGirl -hugs back- you've done really well and yes I'm going to try and keep it simple, the thing is they just said "Complan" I have no idea even how much sugar is "too much" no-one ever said.

image-151892277.jpg

She just said, stay on liquids for a week then blended for 2-3 weeks and soft for a week before starting to introduce normal food.

I'm afraid to some extent that will revert back a little - tastes are still much stronger, but I do now find that I can tolerate (and enjoy) sweeter things. Not as sweet as I used to, and if it tastes too sweet I can guarantee dumping, which I find so useful.

Also means that I totally taste my food now and a really good meal can take my breath away in terms of taste. I actually feel I enjoy more now than I did preop.

But in the early days, particularly liquids, lots of things just didn't appeal. I'd have seven teaspoonfuls and just get bored and leave it. Once I was on mush things were so much better.

I find the complan disgustingly sweet too. I've only tried the vanilla and strawberry flavours. Probably not lower sugars but 'luckily' didn't set me off. Only use them cause they give me an energy boost. X

Thank you LilacGlitterGirl -hugs back- you've done really well and yes I'm going to try and keep it simple, the thing is they just said "Complan" I have no idea even how much sugar is "too much" no-one ever said.

View attachment 10727

She just said, stay on liquids for a week then blended for 2-3 weeks and soft for a week before starting to introduce normal food.
See some people can tolerate slimfast and complan, and in the early days we are eating so little we need as much nutrition as we can get. I just think people are so different! You might find it easier to mix a little plain yoghurt with some milk and sweetener and add a white chocolate options to it for a high protein milky drink.

Lol maybe, it's all very vague, I shouldn't have just took it as read. I can't stand milk anymore it makes me retch, it all tastes stale. Sweet things don't bother me through.

Back