• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

eating bread and carbs

novamay

Born Free
Hi can you eat bread after a sleeve (not immediately :eek: but once your back on proper foods!)

just thinking about what I can replaced my usuall sliced granary loaf with?

I take a packed lunch to work and have plans to make salads, cold rice/pasta/noodle dishes and couscous, etc - anyone having problems eating these foods?

any ideas welcome!

I think it's just ur luck really sum yes sum no! I'm only 2 weeks post op so still on soup. Sum people ave suggested putting ur filling Inbetween 2 lettuce leaves or putting salad in a slice of cold meat and using it like a wrap xx

Hi
Im nearly 7 months out and you will probably eat hardly any bread, pasta and rice. It just doesn't go down well, crispbreads are a much better option. My head wants bread and believe me i do try now and again and always wish i hadnt bothered, until the next time!!!
I do miss bread but its too late now!

Kim

Hi Novamay,

I am a newbie to the site, literally just registered, but had my gastric sleeve done at the end of January 2012.

I have tried toast and it was a miss for me. I found swallowing it difficult, regardless of how much I chewed, it felt like it stuck in my chest. Let me reiterate this is based on my experience. Give it a try though and see how you get on as people’s reactions differ from person to person.

I have since tried Melba toast, which I got from Sainsbury’s, Krisprolls Wholegrain, which I got from Tesco, and Ryvita Crackerbread, which I also got from Tesco. I was a total bread person but have found that these alternatives are great.

Re Cold rice/pasta/noodle dishes and couscous, as long as you cook it well (i.e. soft) their all fine – also give mashed potatoes a go. My latest eating experiment has been Spinach and Ricotta tortellini with a low-fat sauce, it was really nice.

If you’re having your surgery done via the NHS they do give you a list before and after your surgery to say what you can have and when, as there are 4 stages.

All the best of luck to you!

I had my sleeve 4th jan and can eat bread, bread buns, pasta and rice. The only thing I have struggled with lately was water melon, will give that a miss for a few months. I do have pain when eating but I have it with most meals regardless of what I eat (might have to look at chewing my food better) but as everyone has said its hit and miss if you can eat things other people are fine with. X

I love bread and pasta and rice. Im able to eat a handful (I've got small hands) of pasta, rice and couscous. But my favourite soft freshed backed bread with a crusty outside is a no no. I can take a smigde of tortilla wraps and crackers/crispbread/ rivita are fine as long as I chew. I try to venture into my love for bread but the dumping I receive not long after puts me right off.

I am almost 8 months since getting my sleeve. Still struggle with any types of bread. Miss it something terrible but every now and again give it a little try. It pains me as soon as it goes down. Tend to use crackers or crackerbread as an alternative but it is now quite the same. Oh for a bacon roll on a sunday morning. Oh well I can dream :) :)

I'm almost 4 months out and can eat anything at all (very small amounts)with no problems bar eggs....

I'm pretty much a newbie , only a few weeks out, and I can eat everything. To the point I was wondering if the surgeon really did the surgery?

Annie I have been thinking the same till tonight!! Had my op 22/6 and have been eating soup and very sloppy mash and gravy!! Milk etc all fine my kids came back of holiday today ( they been away why had surgery) popped a tiny bit of omelette in my mouth not thinking in the slightest my god!!! I had chest pain was sick, and the other end. That will teach me wont make that stupid mistake again!! What a dimlow I am! X

annie k said:
I'm pretty much a newbie , only a few weeks out, and I can eat everything. To the point I was wondering if the surgeon really did the surgery?

I'm the same.. I'm 6 weeks out and I have no issues with food.. I am now eating everyday food.. But small amounts.. I'm very happy as you hear so many stories that food doesn't suit etc....I'm always eating high protein foods.. But I do have one carb snack a day now.. Like a small bread roll or a mini pitta.... I feel like I control the food now, which is a great feeling.. :) x

Just to say tho.. I did stick to my stages properly which is very important.. X

thanks guys... some good tips/advice there.

Don't worry - I will defo be following the guidance that I get from the hospital and going through each stage to the letter! I'm a long way off surgery yet - but just had a bit of blind panic thinking what I could have at work for lunch... I'm a list-maker and like to be well-organised!

When i went to a pre op appointment i was told if i wanted to eat bread i had to toast it as it kills the yeast. Still can only manage 1 piece with crusts cut off though.

Kim

Back