• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating disorders

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
Hiya, years ago when i was in my twenties i was bulimic. Does this go against you when trying to get surgery? Do I tell the consultant or forget that it happened? lol

Bless you, sweetie. I don't really know the answer to this but I would guess that it would maybe count against you with the NHS but not so sure it would private. It was a long time ago though. As I say I don't know but I am sure someone will be able to offer you some good advise ... hugs :):) xx

I would guess it's something that will come out when you are see by the psychiatrist as part of the assessment process.

On a personal level, I think it would be foolish to hide it as they may wonder why you wouldn't reveal it and then it may be a negative mark against you.

Tatiana

Caren,

I would have said the same about the psychiatrist assessment. Its a definite part of NHS funding, although I don't know if that's the same if your going private.. Has anyone mentioned such an assessment to you when you've had a consultation? xx

ive not had a consultation yet, i think i'll probably be going private, I dont know if they will ask but it was a very long time ago, do you have to see a psychiatrist when you go private?

To be honest, I don't think you do..... but truthfully what do I know.... x

gawd i hope not! lol all this faffing about lol

I went private and I didn't see one, they ask you to fill out forms n answer questions, did u get any treatment in ir 20s for it or anything on ya medical records as they check these xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

:)Hi Caren
I went private-paid direct to my surgeon & no specific questions were asked

I have recently heard of a different way of viewing "eating disorders"....
....better/less harsh/definitive to say we suffer/ed from "disordered eating"....
well it made me thoughtful:)x

I went private and I didn't see one, they ask you to fill out forms n answer questions, did u get any treatment in ir 20s for it or anything on ya medical records as they check these xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

hmmm i saw a psychiatrist once, who told me to stop it, thats all LMFAO!!! :8855:

ive not had a consultation yet, i think i'll probably be going private, I dont know if they will ask but it was a very long time ago, do you have to see a psychiatrist when you go private?

Hi Caren i was NHS and never had a psych assessment. However if it comes up i would tell them, i'm sure your not the first to have suffered this and gone for surgery. Lets face it we all have or have had unhealthy relationships with food or we wouldn't have needed or need the surgery. I'm sure its fine and as someone else said its not a current problem xx.

Thanks beefy I suppose I better had, but only if they ask lol it was soooo long ago x

Hi Caren i was NHS and never had a psych assessment. However if it comes up i would tell them, i'm sure your not the first to have suffered this and gone for surgery. Lets face it we all have or have had unhealthy relationships with food or we wouldn't have needed or need the surgery. I'm sure its fine and as someone else said its not a current problem xx.

I'm NHS too, and I came out with everything to my consultant in my first appointment - my past history of depression, binge eating, self harm, everything. They then said I should see a psychiatrist before my op, but I'm going in on Tuesday and never got an appointment!

Not that I'm really all that worried, because I'm a lot better now, and I have a wonderful doctor that I know I can go to if I have any problems :)

Hi Caren. I would probably tell them, and there's no worry about it coming back to bite you in the bum, just as you're about to have your surgery. I'm sure there are many post-oppers who have had some kind of treatment for an eating disorder, so you're probably worrying for nothing. Maybe a psychiatrist assessment would do you some good, even if it's not compulsory....?!
Good luck. x

I am going private and and also went private in November 2009 when I got the gastric band. Neither time have I had to go for any phsyciatric evaluation. The medical questionnaire was all about diseases and illnesses such as did I suffer from diabetes yes/no and did I smoke yes/no blah blah blah.

Just wondering though why having bulimic episodes way back in the past would be so important in deciding if you can have WLS? I have had an eating disorder for the whole of my life - I have overeaten for so long that I can never remember what it feels like to be either hungry or full. I have eaten a full meal and undone my belt so as to fit in a pudding in the past. If that is not an eating disorder then I,ll eat my hat (Sorry for the pun). What is so different about making yourself sick to going on endless diets that always fail? There is something rather masochistic about putting oneself on the Cabbage Soup Diet and I know for a fact that my doctor putting me on an appetite supressent years ago called Tenuate Dozpan was as dangerous as it gets. I had dreadful migraines and once collapsed in the street after not being able to see for all the purple and yellow flashing lights all around my eyes. Shortly after that I learned that Tenuate Dozpan had been put on the Dangerous Drugs List! Thank God I stopped them despite my doctor insisting that they were perfectly safe.

There is no way I would tell a phychiatrist any of that so wondering why you should have to. It is all in the past and not relevent imho.

Chin up sweetheart, in the great big scheme of things I bet it won't matter one jot :)

Last edited:
Hi Caren
I am with the NHS and have been attending an eating disorder group (through the NHS) since Summer 2010. This group is for people with emotional issues regarding food as opposed to someone with a diagnosed eating disorder. However when I had my psychologist appointment last month for the weight loss surgery she asked me lots of questions as she said that they consider anyone with an active eating disorder is unlikely to do well with the surgery. She was happy with me when I explained it is just trying to deal with the "head hunger" stuff as opposed to a diagnosed eating disorder but still needed to write to my group co-ordinator to confirm.
I guess if it is well in your past then it should not be a problem but they may want confirmation (from your doctor maybe) that you haven't had any recent problems.

Sorry - when I said well in your past I didn't mean to suggest your twenties were a long time ago ! :eek:

frodoald said:
Sorry - when I said well in your past I didn't mean to suggest your twenties were a long time ago ! :eek:

Hahaha that's ok, my twenties was a very long time ago lol
And thanks x

Josiegirl said:
I am going private and and also went private in November 2009 when I got the gastric band. Neither time have I had to go for any phsyciatric evaluation. The medical questionnaire was all about diseases and illnesses such as did I suffer from diabetes yes/no and did I smoke yes/no blah blah blah.

Just wondering though why having bulimic episodes way back in the past would be so important? I have had an eating disorder for the whole of my life - I have overeaten for so long that I can never remember what it feels like to be either hungry or full. I have eaten a full meal and undone my belt so as to fit in a pudding in the past. If that is not an eating disorder then I,ll eat my hat (Sorry for the pun). What is so different about making yourself sick to going on endless diets that always fail? There is something rather masochistic about putting oneself on the Cabbage Soup Diet and I know for a fact that my doctor putting me on an appetite supressent years ago called Tenuate Dozpan was as dangerous as it gets. I had dreadful migraines and once collapsed in the street after not being able to see for all the purple and yellow flashing lights all around my eyes. Shortly after that I learned that Tenuate Dozpan had been put on the Dangerous Drugs List! Thank God I stopped them despite my doctor insisting that they were perfectly safe.

There is no way I would tell a phychiatrist any of that so wondering why you should have to. It is all in the past and not relevent imho.

Chin up sweetheart, in the great big scheme of things I bet it won't matter one jot :)

Exactly! We all have an eating disorder, compulsive overeating. I still do the overeating bit, I just dont purge anymore, it really was a very long time ago. Can't see that it matters now really

Oh I also got very slim on tenuate dospan once. None of it works!

Back