• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to site and getting up courage to see GP

judi2302

HI

This is the first time I have posted on this site, I have a BMI of 52.3 and I am 54 years old I have been on diets since the age of 9. I have tried slimming clubs, tablets, Overeaters Anonymous, Gym Membership, meal replacement drinks and everything else you can think of but not since 25 years ago have I lost any respectable amount of weight. As far as I know I don't have diabetes or anything apart from carpal tunnel syndrome which I'm having corrected with surgery in a couple of weeks. My GP has been helpful so far as sending me for counselling and seeing an eating disorders expert but I'm not the best for sticking at things to be honest I feel like my eating is an addiction especially when I'm feeling anxious. I have two sons who have ADHD and dyspraxia, the youngest has been very poorly with depression and I have a terrible job getting him into school so I find myself comfort eating which is really stupid.

I don't expect my GP will be supportive over Weight Loss Surgery and I was wondering if anyone had advice on how best to go about it. Thanks

Hi Judi, Welcome to Mini's. I am so pleased you have joined us.
I was petrified about going to my GP'S after years of eatimng and thought they would be unsupportive but I could not have been more wrong. PLEASE try your GP. My eating was definitely an addiction and as I am only recently post - op I think it still is an addiction. BUT it is an addiction that, by making that forst trip to my GP, I AM GOING TO BEAT.
I too have a son with difficulties (autism) and know how tough it can be and I too overate. BUT you are amongst friends who all want to support you and will be there woth you every step. Thank you for allowing us to be so. Much Love . xxxx

Hi
please dont worry about seeing your gp when you go just talk to them but i mean talk to them ,not just telling them what you think they want to hear but what you think needs to happen and what you want to happen,read up and talk to others about the op you think is best for you but also be open to other options if your gp or surgen thinks diffrent to you, but no all you can find out about each so your gp nos you are serious about this,and be ready for a long hard road to a NEW and BETTER life.
I no this is hard with kids ,i have 2 1 with special need and im doing this for him as well as me cos i no i need to be around for a long time for him
best of luck and keep us up to date
but do try, what do you have to lose
xx

Deffo get armed up as others have said go to your gp with as much info about how this affects you.Write it all down if you dont think you can put yourself over.Bum wiping,skin sores etc.Draw him a picture of what its like to be you day to day.He should refer you to either a Bariatric surgeon or weight management clinic,If he wont change gps.I have been under one for 14 months and await the big answer in 12 days time!In that time I have lost and failed to maintain(again)Should have YO YO tatooed on my head,welcome to this invaluable site and stick with it,its a hard journey but so worth it.Check out before and after thread.

Hi judi welcome to minis , the thought of asking my dr about wls made me feel physically sick id turn up all geared up to ask the make up somthing totally different when i got there, you need to get as much info before you go because some drs dont know the proceders they have to go through to get you on the wls road, when i finally asked my dr they didnt know but they looked into it for me and asked me to come back the week after, you need to be really honest with them like other people have said tell them just how hard day to day living is for you, i went on for ages thinking yeah everything is ok im healthy and fat, but im not and if not sorted its a down hill slope. The link shell has sent you is great you will get some good advice from it , as you will on here . There is always someone on here to give some good advice people who have been there , people who are almost there and people like you at the begining of your journy take care good luck hannah x

Hi Judi

Welcome to Mini's where you'll find friends in the same position to yourself...and you'll get so much support.

Sorry you are having a tough time of it...weight doesn't help when you have so much to deal with and emotional eating is your crutch, your haven from the realities of life.

Like others have already said...do see your GP and if they are opposed to the idea, see another GP within the practice until you get someone who is empathic to your needs..

Good luck

(((hugs)))

Back