• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

eating out at sloppy food stage

jaynel

Hi on Monday I start my sloppy food stage. This week, I am supposed to be eating out twice - bella italia and Ask. Do you think a small portion of spag bol would be okay as long as I tried to mash it with my fork before eating??

I'm not banded but, in my experience, I wasn't allowed pasta in the sloppy stage.
When I had to eat out during the sloppy stage I ordered a milk shake or an ice cream.

I have eaten out on pureed stage with soup, but I have had spag bol pureed so i can't see why you shouldn't have it. In fact it is one of the suggestions on my diet sheet for soft food stage x

Lasagne or macaroni cheese are quite good for sloppy stage so long as it's soft. Failing that, stick to soup if you are worried

you need to check with your provider as some will not allow you to eat pasta so early pos op, mashed or otherwise, you may also find, as a lot do, that pasta isn't tolerated very well

hmmm which is a problem at Italian restaurants. may just have to stick to ice creams as they don't do soup.

Bella Italia do soup of the day according to their menu. Ask don't but they do have fresh mozzarella which went down well for me on the sloppy stage. I hope you can find something!

you could ask for bolognese sauce or something similar and leave the pasta, or lasagne and just eat the sauce?

Bella pasta do a starter called pollpette, meatballs in sauce which you could mash with a fork and chew really well or the cannelloni and just eat the filling, they also do a salmon fillet and while you couldn't have the roasted veg, that may be something you could mash up (salmon that is)

Also at ask, they do sea bass fillets which come with new pots, you could mash and flake them together as they come with white wine sauce too :)

hi thank you so much for your suggestions - meatballs at bella italia and sea bass and new pots at Ask then!! We are celebrating a wedding anniversary and my sons 18th birthday, and sooooooo looking forward to going out and am especially looking forward to a very small glass of red wine!! xx

Hoping that it goes ok for you - I know these days can be difficult. My brother had his 18th when I was doing Lighterlife and we went to TGI Fridays! It was a nightmare as I sat there with a shake and a lemon bar - this is why I love my band tho, because there's always an option of some sort, even if we are on liquid or mash stage . . .just chew it well and mash it up :) you could always ask for extra sauce to make it extra mushy.

Or even make up a light sauce and take it with you to pour over, or even some quark (low fat soft cheese) which you could put on it to make it mashy

Hope it goes well - let us know :)

I see we have a variance of opinion of what constitutes 'sloppy'!

Ultimately you should check with your provider if your not clear what you can have but for me, sloppy = baby food texture and not mashed up pasta dishes. Especially at only two weeks out.

Please also be aware that the first time eating out post band 'can' make you feel a litle bit nervous, this 'can' tighten the band.

Have a read of your diet sheet, theres no need to miss out but equally it wouldn't be nice to feel ill because you have eaten something that didn't go down too well.

I had ricotta and spinach cannelloni on my soft food stage. Or melanze parmigiana which is aubergine and a tomato sauce? Or gnocchi?

With THG the sloppy stage or mushy stage is defined as any food you can break up with the back of a fork.

It it really tricky sometimes because if you really want to you can mash pretty much everything!!!

My guidance from hospital group gave ideas such as cottage pie, fish pie, soft fish mashed veg, potato, jackets ( flesh only) , that consistency x x not full mush x

With my provider there are three distinct stages post op, liquid, puréed and then soft foods.
The puréed stage was exactly that and was a problem when eating out, the soft food stage was easy as this really as it includes most fish, a little mashed potato and some soft vegetables. You should ask your provider for guidance.

It is the same with my hospital too. I am on puree stage and have eaten out twice, I had soup both times. Fortunately they were smooth x

Back