• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Embarrassing Fat Bodies

Samsara

There's a rather lovely young man on there tonight - Andy! ;) Having a revision fobi ring after gaining weight post gastric bypass, bless him. Anyone watching?! x

Yep got it in now. Interesting. I've just found out that I've got a hernia, think I won't be delaying getting it fixed!!

Just looked into the ring. Apparently some surgeons put on on in the first place to prevent stretching - not sure if it is something started in America and maybe coming over to this country? I would have chosen to have one if I'd had the option as stretching is something I worry about. Hope it helps him.

I want that ring also the surgeon with the glasses that did that lady's sleeve did my Bypass :)

Last edited:
I want that ring :)

Just looked into the ring. Apparently some surgeons put on on in the first place to prevent stretching - not sure if it is something started in America and maybe coming over to this country? I would have chosen to have one if I'd had the option as stretching is something I worry about. Hope it helps him.

A lot of UK surgeons won't do it as a first line surgery because it does make the exit from the pouch very very narrow -- so narrow that many patients have difficulty consuming anything other than liquid food after it is inserted.

I asked my surgeon before making my choice for sleeve or bypass, I asked him if he would insert a fobi ring and he was very against it.

They only tend to offer this as a "revision" surgery if the exit from the pouch (the anastomosis -- surgical join where the intestine rejoins the pouch) has stretched a vast amount and caused weight regain.

It doesn't happen to *all* patients -- only a small percentage ever end up needing extra revision surgery.

just been researching it on the web, apparently it only adds around £400 to the cost of gastric bypass operation and can also be used for sleeve gastrectomy. something to ask the MDT for fear of pouch stretching post op maybe.

Well whether all surgeons approve or not I would like to have been given the option so I could have done my own research. Interesting to hear about it.

I am hoping that I will be able to manage with re education of m y eating habits, I can eat a fair amount but I choose not to. I have been eating this way for a year now (excluding the dark days of milk diet!!) so far I have managed without gaining any weight at any point.
It was a scary program, how do people get into the condition that poor lady did with the hernia??

Back