• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Endoscopy

djbp98

Wants to crunch
Hi all, have recently had funding for band approved, am now waiting to see surgeon. I keep reading about the endoscopy testing....does everybody have to have this :yuk:???? What other tests do you have to have? I'll be operated on at Musgrove @ Taunton.

Hi there, I'm due to be banded on 1st may and haven't had to have an endoscopy. I haven't seen or heard it mentioned to be honest. Maybe it was discusse before I joined the forum but good luck in your search for answers xx Gaynor xx

The only tests and stuff I had were:-

Urine and Bloods
MRSA swabs
Psych Evaluation
Dietician
Dibetician
Endocrinologist
and some doctor listened to heart and lungs with a stetherscope

I saw the Surgeon just over a week ago in Calderdale. He said that it was routine for all his patients regardless of age/health/size to have the following tests done before he decides whether he will operate or not. Funding has already been granted, but the Surgeon gets together with the rest of his team and makes a decision whether he will operate based on my test results and other background information.

The tests are:
Sleep Apnoea
Glucose Tolerance Test (Bloods and Urine Samples)
Blood tests
Dietician
Psychologist
Endoscope
(He also requires you to attend a support meeting for those who have had/having Bariatric Surgery)

For the endoscope he will put me under and 'shove' a camera down my throat into my stomach to check things are ok in there! My father had one when they suspected he had stomach ulcers.

I really do think the amount of tests they send you for, and which ones they prioritise is mostly down to whether you are a NHS funded patient or private. Also it depends on the surgeon you have, as some are happy to operate with only a few of these, whereas, others require all of them.

Although I am disappointed that my surgery will not be as soon as I would have liked; I am happy that my Surgeon has my best interests at heart (and his reputation) and would not do the surgery unless he had all the information surrounding my health (both physical and mental).

I hope this helps!

My tests have been Bloods
including ,thyroid, Lipids - Cholesterol (fasting), iron levels and I have had an MRSA swab set done...get my results tomorrow. I get a urine test on day of surgery to check I'm not pregnant too....tho it would be a miracle if I was

Back