• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Evening eating - need to have something else to do once had op

BEXS99

Loves this site x
hiya

my problem is evening eating, don't eat a lot in the day but evening i cook myself a huge meal as im starving, but the little one to bed for 7pm and eat around 7.30pm, this will stop once I've had my op but want something else to keep me occupied if you get me as wont be eating a lot, any ideas be good, don't fancy knitting just yet lol... xx:copon:

my ironing is always up to date now lol - its my replacement for evening eating

I've got a list of things to do when hungry.

1. crochet blankets for our local baby ward.
2. crosswords(easy ones only lol)
3. card making
4. embroidery
5. gardening
6. walk the dogs (when able to).
7. evening exercise or swim session (post op)

None of the above are as nice as a big plate of grub but it's a start lol x

Try and break your normal routine, this will be a trigger for eating. Any if the suggestions above will do it, just something you don't normally do after putting baby to bed. Break the cycle with anything to take your mind off food. For me I know my trigger is siting down at the end of the day to a bit of TV then come the snacks, I have tried to break this by getting to the park with the dogs but energy levels and mobility are not that good at the moment.

So no simple answer.

BigDave

This is a TOUGH thing, post or pre op. Breaking your routine like Dave said is definitely good.

I find chatting with people either on the phone or online really helps, especially if it's someone who knows about my surgery and food issues and is super supportive or on the same journey. Being able to moan for a minute about how tough it is and then get into chatter definitely helps distract me and also makes me feel accountable and motivated even after I hang up the phone.

Keeping my hands busy helps too. Writing a blog post, reading a book in bed (where I don't want food crumbs), drawing/painting, etc. I am thinking of asking my boyfriend's mother to teach me to knit for this reason. I know you said you don't want to do that but my thought is, it's something to do if I want to still veg out in front of the tv but will keep my hands and mind engaged so I am not eating. If you can find something like that, that you enjoy, that could become your NEW routine.

Hey whats wrong with knitting?Its not the old lady thing anymore,you could make yourself fab accsesories for the winter or chrimbo presents!

I'm addicted to Sims and play that in the evening, or else I do an execise DVD or catch up on all the forums I am on,....

Honestly I am about 5 days post op and I feel like I eat all day... at first its really hard to get in all of your protein and water in during your post op diet. So u SIP on protein shakes and approved water sources all day. Today I didn't finish until 8pm. You will also be amazed at how much u really don't want to eat. It feels like an obligation now not a treat. Defiantly make sure u get all of your protein even if u are still eating a little late but trust me its the last thing u are going to want to do because its all u do all day lol.

Once you have your opp eating as mcuh as you can does not seem to be the most important thing in your life anymore. i could and would eat untill i felt sick, xx

About 9pm I always have a lowfat hot chocolate with half a teaspoon of coffee in it. It is lovely and I look forward to it, it's my evening treat. So if I feel I want something before that, I make myself wait for my hotchocoffee!

I love counted cross stitch and with luck I will feel less tired and more able to do some in the evenings, but I am also toying with the idea of doing some exercise with the home gym equipment that has decorated the bedroom for years. If you have a Wii or similar as once your little one is in bed you can't easily get out of the house what about one of the games or keep fit programmes for one of those so you can exercise for a bit and not feel so tempted sitting and relaxing in front of the tv with headhunger telling you to raid the fridge etc as mine does.

Scrapbooking, card making, Wii games, facebook games like cityville, gardens of time etc, blogging, evening class (pottery, photography etc),

I think it's about creating new habits and i like the sound of miss hungrys idea of having a hot choc around 9pm, you still have something to look forward to and i know this is a problem for me. Once i have eaten my tea i feel quite down that it's the last meal of the day(sad i know) but having that drink to look forward to would do the trick i think x

I think it's about creating new habits and i like the sound of miss hungrys idea of having a hot choc around 9pm, you still have something to look forward to and i know this is a problem for me. Once i have eaten my tea i feel quite down that it's the last meal of the day(sad i know) but having that drink to look forward to would do the trick i think x

I often have a hot chocolate or tea in the evening as well for the same reason. It's not sad that you feel that way. I do too. I think anyone who's had WLS has struggled with that sort of emotional attachment to food, it's is part of how we got to where we needed surgery in the first place.

I often have a hot chocolate or tea in the evening as well for the same reason. It's not sad that you feel that way. I do too. I think anyone who's had WLS has struggled with that sort of emotional attachment to food, it's is part of how we got to where we needed surgery in the first place.
Thanks anne, i'll definitely be stocking up low fat hot choc drinks for post op, thanks for the tip x

Back