• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Excess skin and the NHS

I had a tummy tuck on the NHS last summer.

Mike

hey mike,. i was thinking of you when i wrote this as i thought i had seen a post about it a while ago.

was it completely free and did you have to wait long .. and (sorry lol) had you to of lost a certain amount before having it done?

Yes it was completely free.

I had to wait around 6 weeks for the initial consultation and then around 3 months for the actual operation.

You didn't have to lose a certain amount but you did have to show you could keep it off and I had been at goal for 17 months when I had it done so no problems there.

It is though a postcode lottery I am afraid so when you get to goal weight you need to go see your GP and be honest on how it is affecting you both physically and psychologically.

M.

brilliant thanks mike! i think with the amount i have to loose it should be quite explanatry on how that much excess skin will effect me..but will happily tell him so

Heya :)

i went to my gp a ferw yrs ago and was told that i could have my "excess" skin removed on the NHS- having had 3 c-sections i have alot of it!

Anyways last year i lost a little wwight and my GP referred me to my local PS and i received a letter back to state there is no funding for it and it was classed as cosmetic. :cry:

I think Icemoose was lucky to have been refered and get it done so easily- i know someone else who had it done and she had to repeatdely go back to her dr's for yrs before they agreed to do her.

I am now having mines done privately. :cry:

Good luck with yourself though....would be interested in hearing how it goes

Sian xx

I have heard (may be wrong) that you have to have lost at least 5 stone and have kept it off for a year in order to 'qualify' but as ice-moose says - its a postcode lottery as to whether you'll actually get it done for free or not!

Yep, it really depends on what area you live in. Our postcode = not of your life! I've seen people being refused even relatively normal things down here that others get, because our Authority won't fund. I was refused Xenical because I was in the wrong postcode...dr admitted it.

I also know of someone elsewhere who had lost something like 8-10 stone and wasn't allowed it unless she could maintain at BMI22. Very low for her, but they wanted to do it at the very lowest she could get.

im a gastric bypass patient, been big all my life, down 3 stone so far, really worried about skin, has anyone got any tips on how to minimise excess skin as ur losing... i was gonna try swimming. also i was told the tummy tuck was painful (this woos doesnt like pain) is that true? what is the recovery time?? and was it really worth it????

im a gastric bypass patient, been big all my life, down 3 stone so far, really worried about skin, has anyone got any tips on how to minimise excess skin as ur losing... i was gonna try swimming. also i was told the tummy tuck was painful (this woos doesnt like pain) is that true? what is the recovery time?? and was it really worth it????

heya

i can't relate to the gastric bypass situation but i did losss about 3-4 stone before having my tummy tuck as i had lots and i mean lots of excess skin!

I recently had a tummy tuck and although yes it WAS painful esp in the first 2 weeks.... it's been the best thing i have ever done.

I have a post detailing my tummy tuck journey INCLUDING photos if you are interested?

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/29587-tummy-tuck-lipo.html

take care

Sian xx

wow sian just looked at ur diary and saw the pics!!! ive lost 3 stone and probably have another 5 or 6 to go so i think i am gonna get skin.... at the bypass i was told the pain was about a 5 and that the tummy tuck was a 7-8 so i think your really brave, i can see why you did it tho you look fantastic now!!!!
Donna xx

wow sian just looked at ur diary and saw the pics!!! ive lost 3 stone and probably have another 5 or 6 to go so i think i am gonna get skin.... at the bypass i was told the pain was about a 5 and that the tummy tuck was a 7-8 so i think your really brave, i can see why you did it tho you look fantastic now!!!!
Donna xx

well i also think you are brave- well done to you :).... my decision wasn't taken lightly but had years of being and looking a certain way and got really down/depressed over it..... but time had come for me to actually brave it and do something about it

Sian xx

well i think you did brilliant, now i can see what a huge difference it makes i think sod it... a bit of pain for a huge gain... we should never let fear stop us from doing something worthwhile... well done to you and thank you for sharing it...

Hey, I'm new to this forum.

I'm 18, dropped from 24 stone to my current weight of 14 1/2 stone. I still have a couple more stones to go though. But I have some pretty bad loose skin, which causes me a lot of embarrassment and prevents me from doing a lot of things I'd like to do. It's been about 18 months since I started losing the weight, but I didn't have weight loss surgery, I just did it through exercise and healthy eating.

Would the fact I lost weight without surgery work against me in terms of getting treatment on the NHS for my loose skin?

Any help/advice appreciated, I don't really know where to turn. I certainly couldn't afford to pay for the treatment.

Im a Whittington patient and we were told that you have to be at goal weight for 12-24 months and then go before a panel which includes a shrink! However, this was general information and Im sure it varies from PCT to PCT

I'm 18, dropped from 24 stone to my current weight of 14 1/2 stone. I still have a couple more stones to go though. But I have some pretty bad loose skin, which causes me a lot of embarrassment and prevents me from doing a lot of things I'd like to do. It's been about 18 months since I started losing the weight, but I didn't have weight loss surgery, I just did it through exercise and healthy eating.

Would the fact I lost weight without surgery work against me in terms of getting treatment on the NHS for my loose skin?

Any help/advice appreciated, I don't really know where to turn. I certainly couldn't afford to pay for the treatment.

The best place to start is with your GP (a good one).

Some years ago I lost over 9st and went to my GP to surgery for loose skin. She wasn't much help and said the NHS don't have the money.

I did get a referral from her to plastic surgeon for a boob job that went wrong.

I sneaked in the question about loose skin to surgeon and she said yes to tummy tuck and one thing at a time to the rest.

Sadly I've put on lotssssss of weight, but surgeon is still willing to do tummy when I lose weight.

I changed Gp because I moved, but I know other GP would not of referred me for WLS.

No it won't go against you at all, the most important thing is you've lost the weight and you've kept it off.

It is 3 weeks today since I had my tummy tuck on the NHS but unfortunately as people have said before, it is a postcode lottery and my PCT (I don't know about others) don't do the liposuction as well (for obvious reasons the surgeon said - meaning £££). but when all is said and done I have had the treatment for free so cant grumble.

No it won't go against you at all, the most important thing is you've lost the weight and you've kept it off.

It is 3 weeks today since I had my tummy tuck on the NHS but unfortunately as people have said before, it is a postcode lottery and my PCT (I don't know about others) don't do the liposuction as well (for obvious reasons the surgeon said - meaning £££). but when all is said and done I have had the treatment for free so cant grumble.

Ah, ok.

Thanks for the input.

Ok. Would you say it's a good idea to book an apointment now, or wait until I reach goal weight first?

I don't think it will hurt to ask. These things can take a while to get, so you may be at goal by the date of op.

My surgeon won't operate unless you have BMI of 28 or below. It may differ from surgeon to surgeon.

I know the hospital I'm having my WLS at they like you to maintain your weight for 18 month before they will consider op for excess skin.

Back