• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Excess skin and the NHS

plastics

hi i had my bypass in jan 09 and when i first saw surgeon i had to sign a document to agree that plastic surgery ie tummy tucks etc could not be expected unless there was an extreme medical need so haveing loose skin is not enough reason your saggy bits have to be causeing you real medical problems before nhs would consider surgury

If you haven't gone in for a checkup within 2 years, how would you prove that you've been at goal weight for 2 years, would they just take your word for it?

Ah, ok.

Thanks for the input.

I saw my doctor in November and the consultant in January; I had the op in June so its a fairly quick process (to be honest I expected to wait years for it). But definitely go and see the doc. From what I have read online they like you to have lost a certain amount of weight and have kept it off for a year. You can search online for the rules of your particular PCT.

Good luck

Oh btw, my doctor did recommend me as he was worried about me being depressed. When I walked in to see my doctor about it, the first thing he said was "wow, Sarah you look fantastic" (he hadnt seen me for years), it was enough for me to burst into tears, because i had worked so hard for 2 years to lose weight then was too embarrassed to even have a relationship with a new partner.

Back