• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Excess Skin????

BBS

Hi everybody,

New here, I'm due to go in for gastric band surgery on the 28th of September, hoping to shed several stone over the next 12 - 18 months.

However I know that in some cases, people who loose weight rapidly can end up with quite a bit of excess skin once the 'extra padding' has disappeared!

Has this happened to any of you guys & what can one do to prevent this from happening?

I'm 24 years old & male (preempting somebody asking me, as I know it will depend on age etc.)

Thank you in advance!

All The Best
Rob
:)

there is exercise and biooil but if your skin has really stretched and stretched then ultimately it will have to be removed. However you have youth on your side so it might not be so bad for you. Good luck with the op.

Hi Rob, and welcome to Mini's :welcome:

I doubt very much you'll loose weight rapidly, weight loss with the band is slower than bypass so your body has time for the skin to shrink aswell although we probably will still have some loose skin.

What weight are you and what weight do you want to be?

Someone feel free to correct me but i think exercise can help a bit. Good luck with your operation!! :) xx

Hi Rob and welcome to MM and congrats on ur surgery date just round the corner :)
It really depends on quite a few things.

Elasticity of the skin

Well u def have age on ur side :) and i think when it comes to men then they can go to the gym and build up very good muscle tone on the chest,arms and legs which will def help with the extra skin.
Its hard to say when it comes to the tummy area but without knowing how much weight u have to lose its very hard to guess.
You can not avoid lose skin but if ur dont have loads to lose and u r still young and u start exercising as soon as u can then there is a good chance u wont have a massive problem.
Hope that gives u a little more info am sure there will be others around soon, take care x

It doesn't happen to everyone. Depends on the elasticity of your skin.

I met two young men not so long back (an uncle and nephew) both of whom had lost a tremendous amount of weight (38 stone between them) following WLS.

The uncle who actually lost the most was fine and didn't need surgery whilst the nephew has just had to have a full body lift. Both these guys were bypassed however not banded.

Exercise and Bio Oil will help a little or so I'm told.

Welcome to Mini's

xx

hi rob and welcome to minis, im a bander of over 4 years and my skin was stretched for to many years and i had to have a tum tuck to remove the loose skin that remained, you can try exercise ect and as caroline says you have youth on your side as the younger you are the better chance you have of it going back in place.

liz x

Wow!

6 Replies in the first 10 minutes!

You guys really are helpfull! :)

At the moment I'm about 19 stone & would like to get down to about 12 stone. Most of the weight is on my core (tummy,chest & back) none at all really on my arms or legs.

I'm more than willing to do some exercise to retain some skin tone, and of course I'd rather be a healthy weight with some loose skin, than overweight with excellent skin tone!!!

With a gastric band, how much weight per week have you guys been losing?

By the way, looking at some of your profiles, you guys have done really well. If i can achieve as much sucess as you guys I'll defo be happy!

Exercise is great and can help, but if the skin is stretched too much then only surgery can sort it out.

Bands are funny (if not fickle things), weight loss can be slow, but steady once you reach your sweet spot (that is when your band is filled to the right level to allow for weight loss). This can take 1 fill, or many - depends on the individual. patience is key with a band, and many describe the first few months post banding as 'bandster hell' as despite surgery, the band is not yet working as it should and so weight loss can be minimal (and some even gain), however personally I lost from the start and continued to lose until it all went badly wrong (but that's a whole other story).

Bands take willpower, I was told band does about 20% of the work, 80% is willpower, but I have no idea how they could possibly work that out!! Avoid slider foods like chocolate, ice cream and sugary drinks from the start, which is what I did.

Hi Rob

Welcome to Mini's.

As you can see you'll get loads of support and advice from the Mini guys.

I think that everyone has already said the most relevant stuff, but men do have thicker skin naturally so could do marginally better post op than women.

Good luck with your WLS...look forward to reading about your journey.

(((hugs)))

Hi Rob, I can't help with your questions as I am still pre-op but welcome to Mini's and good luck with your band op.

Hi Rob,

I have my band fitted 30th April. Since then I have lost 4 stone 11lbs. I have done a lot of exercise like power walking and running. Which has helped my legs not go saggy (so far). I am looking into a tummy tuck but that is also down to 2 children via c section so I don't think you have that to worry about lol.

I know in average a band is slower weight lose but everyone is different. I Average just over a stone a month at the mo which is the same as a lot of bypass patients. So the more you put into it the more you will get out of it.

Good luck for next month.

Hi there,

I don't think there is a definitive answer to the weight per week lost with a band.

I had op done 10 months ago and have lost 81lbs...I only look at that figure now and don't even weigh myself weekly.

Realistically it will take me 3 years to get to goal weight, if it is quicker, then brilliant but this is the slow path and I don't mind, it took 25 years to put on, so three to take it off is fast in comparison.

As for saggy skin, it's very dependant on circumstances.

So, what you're saying is that I wont magically lose 7 stone overnight after having the band fitted?........bugger!!!

:whistle:

Seriously though, I am looking forward to it. Would be nice to be a size large, where I can go into a shop & purchase based entirely on preference, not on what they have got in XXL! :argh:

Xmas with a golf ball sized stomach will be interesting!!!

Can't believe how positive & supportive everybody on here is! :)

Welcome! :)

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 25 and hoping to lose 8 stone - I had a bypass last Wednesday. The excess skin worries me, but I've been told that it hopefully will help being quite young.

Hayley

xxx

Back