• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Excess Skin

quetiapina

Bumps along somehow
Hi everyone, I was wondering how much excess skin people have had after WLS? I've had a floppy belly ever since the birth of my son (21 years ago, the bugger was 10lbs) but now I have noticed that my tummy skin is longer. Also my arms have started to melt. I am 40 and have just applied for the Prescription for exercise programme which I hope will start soon.
Does age matter? How have people dealt with it to improve the situation.

I have also invested in a couple of pairs of magic pants and bras for when I go out. I am only at the start of my weightloss journey and am concerned my tummy will end by my knees if I'm not careful.

Info, experiences and advice would be great! Thanks

This all depends on the individual but my surgeon said when you lose over a 100lbs of weight, are 40 or over, what has not pinged back 2 years after maintaining goal weight probably won't.

No matter how much exercise you do, no matter what lotions and potions you use.

Surgery may be the only viable option or learn to love the skin you are in.

I am melting to but remember you wont know the real result until you have lost what you want to lose and maintained for a while, so dont worry yet ok;):)

great advice from Caz.

Excess skin is something I worry about a lot. I already have lots on my belly that gets infected, and thats while Im nearly 10 stones overweight. God knows what I will be like when Ive finished. Im just hoping that plastics are still available on the NHS in my area when Im done with my weight loss.

I've got alot of fatty skin on my belly, my arms and my leg's have quite alot on aswell. If I can't get any plastic surgery through the NHS then I will deffinately get it done privately, I hate the way I look. I'm also hoping that I will meet someone in the future and I wouldnt think that many women would find me attractive the way I am.

I have a lot, and my start BMI wasn't all that high. Its on my tummy, thighs, bum, and arms. I think having had children can make the tummy worse, as your muscles tend to be split already and there is often some sagging following the bump stretch.

My area makes you wait 2 years before they fund, as some of the skin will naturally go back in that time.

I've got alot of fatty skin on my belly, my arms and my leg's have quite alot on aswell. If I can't get any plastic surgery through the NHS then I will deffinately get it done privately, I hate the way I look. I'm also hoping that I will meet someone in the future and I wouldnt think that many women would find me attractive the way I am.[/QUOTE

Don't underestimate yourself, you are a very attractive man and any woman worth her salt should look beyond minor and i say again minor imperfections. janey;)

We are all attractive, caring and generous people and when our time comes to get rid of excess fat i think we will all find a solution that we can all live with. For me it's my boobs if i have to tuck the into my knickers then for sure i will have them done lol

i was told that no amount of exercise would sort the skin out as it had simply been stretched for to many years and all its elasticity had gone through years of abusing my body and pregnancy didnt help the tummy area either.

ive now had a t/tuck and it feels so much better but i do need revisional surgery on the area, when im ready.

liz xxx

Liz is your tummy the only area that you had excess that you feel was unsightly?

my tummy was the worst area, next is my boobs then my arms, the rest is ok and doesnt really bother me at all.

not quite, got about another 8-9 pounds to go to re reach the original lowest weight i made it to with the 1st band, its alot harder to shift the last bit this time, im going to look into the exercise on prescription to see if that will help to get rid of the last bit.

I've got alot of fatty skin on my belly, my arms and my leg's have quite alot on aswell. If I can't get any plastic surgery through the NHS then I will deffinately get it done privately, I hate the way I look. I'm also hoping that I will meet someone in the future and I wouldnt think that many women would find me attractive the way I am.[/QUOTE

Don't underestimate yourself, you are a very attractive man and any woman worth her salt should look beyond minor and i say again minor imperfections. janey;)

Thanks hun :D

How I feel is this, something happened to me and I ate to hide emotions I could not deal with at the time. As I hid behind the wall of fat, I began to loathe myself. I hated myself from the age of 14 to the age of 39...that is a lot of hate to get rid of but I am learning to love me, for all that I am and I have forgiven myself and what I did to my body.

Thats why I had the surgery, to help me learn to love me again, not just for looks (as I know that it will never look the way it used to) but just to give myself the respect by being fit and healthy.

Woooo, that was an emotional release....:eek:

Caz what would be a typical days eating for you? The reason I am asking is because you have had your band a while now and everything is settled e.g surgery, liquid stage, sloppy stage and fills. Just so I know what to expect.

This is a typical day for me, although I eat a very wide variety of things, meats I cope with well are venison, chicken thighs, all fish and seafood, gammon and lamb. I do find beef a bit hard going now though, so tend to avoid it unless it is mince. Bread unless toasted is a no-no. But I rarely have it, sometime less than once a week. I don't drink fizzy drinks and I try not to have too many empty calories, though saying that, partial to the odd Baileys...mint one...yummy.

I cannot eat cake, that gets stuck now I have third fill, so gave that up entirely a month ago, as before that I was having the odd bit. Naughty I know but our demons don't go away over night.

Breakfast, a small bowl of muesli (Dorset Cereals or Eat Natural), with Oatly milk substitute and a Mullerlite yoghurt poured over the top, plus a few bits of fresh fruit.

Lunch, usually a tin of soup, like Baxters Spicy parsnip or Lentil, something with a little body.

Dinner, A piece of meat, that would fit in my cupped hand, salad or vegetable and maybe 1 potato or 5-6 chips.

I rarely snack inbetween now, but if I do, I have weightwatcher mini flapjack bites x 2 or a yoghurt or a piece of fruit.

I drink up to 2 litres of fluid a day.

Thanks people some really thoughtful, interesting and useful replies.

Yes, i've go a long way to go before I see the true extent of my melty skin.

Back