• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Excess Skin

Undecided

Just wondering - has anyone found anything that DOES work for excess skin ? As in to prevent / reduce it ?

I know this would be a problem for me as when I lost 4 stone previously I could start to see it happening on my stomach.

I've heard that building up muscle in the gym to "replace" the missing fat can help. Just wondering if it's worked for anyone (especially if they weren't a 20 something) :) )

Unfortunately, no amount of time in the gym (I actually do go 3 times a week, so this isn't an excuse ;) ) is going to put my saggy skin right. If anything, the toned underlying muscles make it more noticeable.

Another issue for me is that my stomach muscles need repair, which will be done along with my skin, hopefully, so my shape is odd - I'm smallish with a round tummy and lots of saggy skin.

Unfortunately, no amount of time in the gym (I actually do go 3 times a week, so this isn't an excuse ;) ) is going to put my saggy skin right. If anything, the toned underlying muscles make it more noticeable.

Another issue for me is that my stomach muscles need repair, which will be done along with my skin, hopefully, so my shape is odd - I'm smallish with a round tummy and lots of saggy skin.

But what a great pic - you look great and sexy xx

I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and i have to say my skin is still pretty bad, but maybe it would be even worse if i hadn't xx

The way I understand it is that no amount of working out in the gym will help saggy skin, you can tone up muscle but not skin (unfortunately)!

I don't know if it makes a difference if you've steadily increased your weight over time, or if you've been a yo-yo dieter with your weight going up and down constantly over the years, with significant losses and gains. In my head I'm thinking that if you've steadily gained weight and are now going to lose it your skin will still have the elasticity it needs to shrink with your body, where as (and not sure how to put this so sorry if I upset anyone) if your skins been stretched and shrunk a number of times before the elasticity will be pretty knackered!

As I said - it's just my opinion/thoughts - I'm hoping I'm right as I've never managed to loose more than 1 stone before so by my logic my elastic should be primed and ready to ping back to the shape it was in 20 years ago!

Sagging skin is the result of it being severely overstretched to a limit that it shouldn't have got to. Think of a rubber band. Once that's stretched too much it never goes back to the firm size it was. Same with our skin. Only option is to cover it up or have it removed.

Found I was ok until I hit a certain weight (about 15 stone from 21) - skin started to show then! Rather see that than the fat though! Found loads of knobbly things all over my body (ribs and things), especially the tops of my arms (shoulder bones).
Just not used to displaying bone!! Worst one is my backside, it used to be so padded and comfortable, now it is like sitting on a tree stump! Lol xx

Found I was ok until I hit a certain weight (about 15 stone from 21) - skin started to show then! Rather see that than the fat though! Found loads of knobbly things all over my body (ribs and things), especially the tops of my arms (shoulder bones).
Just not used to displaying bone!! Worst one is my backside, it used to be so padded and comfortable, now it is like sitting on a tree stump! Lol xx

can so relate to that... ouchie..... need a rubber ring to sit on!! lol:rolleyes:

My hubbys constantly moaning that our bed is uncomfortable now, same a sitting on hard seats! lol

After 3 children I have enough saggy bits without the excess weight so I doubt any amount of exercise will return me to the slim trim 18yr old bride I once was but I will give it a damn good try to tone what I can for as long as I can. If I need to explore a more drastic method of reducing the flabby bits later on I will whether I actually go that far in the end will depend on funding NHS or private and my confidence at the time. Until then exercise is my plan to try and make it a little less flabby.

Back