• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

exercise after wls

pinkladyMK

chatterbox!!
hi i know its early in my journey to be asking this but its been on my mind so much so thought sod it just ask.....

i was wondering what exercise everyone did after their ops?

as in how soon u started?
wot u did?
wot u found to be the best for help get rid of excess skin etc?

any info will help
i just wanna make sure im ready for when it happens and i can do it, in case i need to buy equipment etc

thanks for reading my post al

love natalie xxxxxxxx

Personally, immediately post op I just went on walks with the dog, not too testing just gentle walks. These walks were brill at getting rid of any wind I had.

Now im 7 weeks post op im fully healed so ive started doing more strenuous exercising, such as cardio exercises at the gym (cross-trainer, treadmill, bike etc) and swimming now my scars have closed up.

A lot of people on here use Wii fit and love it.

Best thing is to ask your surgeon as all surgeons have differing ideas as to what they like patients to do :)

Hope this helps

I just did short walks for a few weeks but then I bought myself a horse (ex racer) and even though I still think I'm too heavy to ride him I walk out with him every day. He does walk at a good pace and I'm kn*ckered when I get back but its worth it.xx

I'm obviously not gonna be much help as you know how far into the process I am!!! I'm gonna go swimming to start with I think. I've also been thinking about it as I wanna do all I can to limit my saggy skin. I know I'm gonna have it around my belly and arms. I'm trying to stay positive about the rest of me!!! Hahahahaha!!!

Hi Nat, i think exercise wise its def slightly diff with us having a bypass compared to a band.
I think in the first weeks i will just do little bits of housework then most prob 4 weeks after surgery i think i 2 will start swimming but will only go first thing in the morning when the pool is empty or at the ladies only sessions as tbh i have not had the guts to swim for so many yrs and i luv swimming.
I think i will also join the gym and start doing gentle cardio and the treadmill as i know i wont do it at home.
Bout 3 yrs ago i bout a treadmill it cost me £800 as there were very few that went up to my weight of 27 stone and the rest of them were so much cheaper but stopped bout 23 stone, i used it a few times then sold it but when i joined my gym i did go bout 4 times a week early in the mornings then made use of the jacuzzi and sauna and swimming after but then of course something happened and i jacked it all in.

Cant wait till we have surgery, but have made a promise to myself that as soon as we get our appointments hopefully today or tomorrow then i am going to work hard at trying to get myself healthier for surgery in every aspect.
Soz if i have gone off subject yet again hun, catch ya later and keeping it all crossed for us for today xxx

I would say that you have to be careful for a while after surgery, we all heal at different rates. I think the key is to find something you enjoy so that you are more likely to keep it up as a regular part of your life. Even if it's dancing to your fave music round the living room.
It might be good to get a pedometer and note how many steps you take after you're over the operation on a normal day, then aim to increase by a few steps each day gradually.
As for saggy skin, well any large amount of weight loss (by any method) can leave you with saggy skin. If you're younger I guess it's more unlikely but also things like genetics are a factor. Some people are prone to it, others get away without it.
Either way, cross that bridge when you come to it. Getting down to a healthy weight and taking the strain off your body is priceless.

i started with just walking aftr i was banded and that was it for first 6months as my weight was so high it dropped without exersice , once the weightloss started to slow a bit i kicked started it again with the wii fit which i love to bits i try to do at least half hour a day on that with half hour walking i was doing an hour a day but due to another minor surgery i havnt been able to exercise at all for 4 weeks but hoping to get back on it next week as it really makes such a diference

Im a bypasser and at about a week post surgery, I started walking in the park with my mum and her dogs. Couldnt go very far to start with but increased slowly until I was overtaking mother! 8 weeks post op started swimming and now 4 months in, cannot motivate myself to do anything - Im just a lazy cow I guess

thanks girls for all the info
i think im gonna to the swimming first as i love swimming but im the ladies only sessions first lol
we have a wii so wii fit will be a deffo once im over opbut i dont wanna not exercise and lose weight if u know wot i mean as with me being as big as i am i well DEFFO get excess skin im hoping with my only being in late 20s it should fingercrossed tighten up with exercise but if it dont i will deffo be have plastic surgery, lol.

Hi 6 days post bypass op and the last two days i have just taken a short walk out with my OH can't go too far but enjoying the fresh air. My two dogs are still staying with friends in their kennels as they are quite boisterous but intend to take them for long walks when i can and hopefully i may buy a bike and try that further down the way xx

How soon post op did you start to exercise... ?

I'm trying to walk... I'd like to do something on the Wii... Eventually I'd love to start swimming to ease my spine...

I'd love to be able to go to a gym, but wonder how I'd cope with the cortisone injections in my spine and spondylitis...

But I value the need for increased exercise and I'd love to hear how people have got on and how soon post surgery, whichever type of surgery, so it helps everybody, how soon you started to try and exercise.

Love, hugs and thanks xxx

Did you all have enough energy post op to do any exercise? I can only compare it to the vlcd's I've done in the past when I could barely drag myself out of bed, let alone turn on the Wii Fit. Of course I'll have to walk the dog several times per day but if I'm honest, a lot of that 'walking' can involve standing around whilst he plays with other dogs lol.

Haha... true... I feel very tired... but when I'm awake... I keep thinking... should I be shaking a leg or something?

It's early days but I'm walking even though I have to lean on something to keep going but I'm going to do my best.

I'll never run a marathon, but it feels good to get 'around the block'...

Love and hugs xxx

Hi bev , I started the gym a couple of weeks ago , I started off walking everywhere though about six weeks post op , I think I'm about 15 weeks now and my fitness has come back really quickly in two weeks my shape has changed loads iv got definition in my arms and legs , my scars sometimes have pulled a little on the surface but other than that it's been great iv been going 5 times a week it's my new addiction haha xx

I intend to walk my dog more, swim and use the X Box Kinect after surgery, and see where I go from there.
I guess any activity is a bonus.

Thanks Louanne and Bobo... great tips.

I'm really impressed.... and Bobo what a wonderful achievement, the gym x5 times a week... I don't know if I'm well enough in the longer term, but I'm going to be doing what I can at home for sure....

Fantastic and what a weightloss, it doesn't seem like 2 mins since you had your surgery.

Love and hugs xxx

Bev like you I have long term health problems. A couple of months post op I hit the gym and took up jogging, which with hindsight was not the most sensible form of exercise for someone with dodgy joints. Anyway, shortly after that my illnesses flared up and my joints went on strike. I just barged into exercise without any advice, lied to the staff at the gym, and did myself no favours. I ended up unable to do any exercise as a result. If I had my time again, I'd concentrate on swimming and something better suited for mobility problems such as tai chi or pilates, run by a qualified health professional. By me lots of private physios run pilates classes so that would have been a better choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Aww Bless.. thank you so much Shell..

I know how important exercise is on our journey and I have some weakening limitations... plus I'm having frequent pain control injections in my spine... I've been thinking 'swimming' steady walks and a little bit of step if I hold onto something... I fear it may well slow down my weightloss opportunity if I don't have a breakthrough with exercise... I'll certainly be exercising under medical advice, but really want to help myself.

Bless you, thank you xxx

after 4 weeks I started swimming 5 days a week, building up quite quickly to a mile a day, then after 12 weeks I went back to my Zumba class once a week and now do legs/bums/tums, step and zumba, starting pilates/yoga, swim 3 times a week and do weights at home with DH.

Thank you so much Dell. I'm so grateful.

I've taken a slow walk further than normal today, with a few stops on passing benches... but I'm doing all I can to help myself.

Love and hugs Angel xxx

Back