• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Wilsnips diary

Wilsnip

I'm Wilsnip, a 47 year old from Hampshire. I weighed in at 19 stone spot on prior to starting my pre-op diet. I've always been big, I love all food, more savoury than sweet but I have the issue that I just eat too much of it, when my body doesnt need all that fuel. I love food and as a qualified chef I enjoy cooking as well.

So I know the correct way to cook food I.e low fat, low sugar etc. I completed tier 3 and went and had my consultation with Mr James Byrne.

All NHS bariatric surgery is done at the Spire in Southampton. At my pre-op appt they put a sticky thing on my foot and wrist to work out my body fat, couldn't believe it when it said I was 43% fat thats nearly half of me arrgh. I also got my pre-op diet sheet I decided to go with the milk one.

I started the milk one on 16th Oct ready for my band op on 30 October. I only managed one day as by the nighttime I had terrible diarrhoea. So I did the very low calorie diet which consisted of, 10 fl oz skimmed milk a day, breakfast of 1 weetabix, splash of milk. Lunch 2oz protein, salad and no oil dressing. Dinner, 2 oz protein, 1 small potato or 2 tablespoons of pasta or rice and veg but avoiding carrots, beetroot and parsnips, plus 2 pieces of fruit a day and the 1 1/2 litres of any other fluid. I managed to loose 13 pounds in the first week but only 1 pound in my second, which meant on the day of my op I weighed 18 stone.

I arrived at the Spire at 6.30 in the morning to find out I was first on the list, I was in a room with one other lady who was due to have a mini bypass. I booked in, had all my checks done and then saw the anaesthetist Dr Samson who is such a lovely man and quite amusing he kept saying about moving our feet to prevent dvt's, up to the sky, point like a ballerina. I then saw Mr Byrne who went through the final checks and I signed the consent form. I put on the lovely gown and was told I could wear my own knickers.

I walked down to theatre with my nurse Alex, I got on the theatre bed and they undid my gown to put the sticky pads on for the heart monitor and put the needle in for the cannula. Dr Samson gave me a shot of something and I felt a bit woozy, then I was asleep. Next thing I was in recovery sitting up thinking I'm gonna puke, I started to wretch, the lovely nurse gave me a sick bowl and an anti sickness injection, where I went back to sleep. I returned back to my room and got sat in the chair with a blanket over me, I had a drip with fluids, and antibiotics, and nose oxygen, and some lovely boots that kept blowing up then releasing lovely change from the tight white socks you usually have to wear, apparently they sit you in the chair to help prevent dvt's and to help the nurses so they don't have to transfer us larger patients. This was about 10.30 ish, I came too at around midday as I needed a wee, I did a bit of reading and drifted in and out.

Dr Samson and Mr Byrne came to see me saying it all went to plan and they were happy with my progress and that I could have some water 30ml an hour. Hubby came to see me at 7 and helped me have a clean up with some baby wipes, brush my teeth and clean my face. I felt so much better. I went to bed and was still on a mixture of fluids, antibiotics and paracetamol. I was up to the loo on the hour every hour so was the lady who was opposite me.

The next day Dr Samson came to see me and reminded me of the importance of keeping moving no bed rest for me, take a deep breath every half an hour and try to cough as this will dislodge any phlegm, yes there was plenty to shift. Mr Byrne popped by he said he was happy for me to go home I could be on free fluids and have a cup of tea if I wanted. I could have kissed him, he said I will see you in 4-6 weeks for a review and fill if needed I asked him if he had put anything in the band, he said a little bit.. The nurse came and changed my dressings, the one on the right side of my tummy oozed a bit as that is where my port is, they sprayed all my cuts - they are very small and neat, with a dressing spray and covered them with waterproof dressings so I can have a shower. I got some spares if I needed to replace them or remove them ten days after surgery. The pharmacist bought my drugs lampeazoal, anti-inflammatory and a big bottle of calpol. My diet sheet, sick note for a couple of weeks and some advice from the sister on the first two weeks, fluids and purée wise.

So I got home I wasn't in pain just a bit sore, I had a peppermint tea, lunch was half a bottle of slim fast and tea was a quarter of a tin of tomato soup. I had a lay down and fell asleep for a couple of hours, had a shower took my painkillers and went to bed, hubby slept in the spare room so as not to risk nudging into my tummy.

Yesterday was fine I had half a glass of innocent defence super smoothie for breakfast, peppermint tea, the other half of the slim fast for lunch and the other quarter of a tin of tomato soup. Today has been good I've felt a bit more energetic. I got up had a shower, took my meds lamperazoal, anti inflammatory and had a glass of super smoothie then realised after entering it into my fitness pal realised how much sugar it contained so won't be having that again. I had half a slim fast for lunch and have been alternating between peppermint tea and sipping water all the way through the day.

I'm really lucky had no wind pain but then again I have been farting like a train - so ladylike (not). We have been for a walk today did about a mile as need to keep on moving. I'm going to try to make entries into this diary regularly so I can keep focussed and to show me how far I've come.

Last edited:
Hello newbie
welcome to a great site good luck in your recovery

Good luck, look forward to reading your thread. I start my lsd tomorrow to have the op on 17th. I'm quite excited. I bet your pleased to be starting your journey? All the best :)

Hi and welcome wilsnip. Best of luck :D

Welcome! Sounds like you're doing really well.

Hi and a huge friendly welcome to the site hunni :) I'm a fellow bander, done via the nhs back in February, currently still working on an empty band lol almost 7 stone down including pre op almost 10st since the start am also catering trained and worked in school meals many many many years ago LOL

What a fantastic start to your diary and to you new banded life x x x x i wish you all the luck i the world :) x x x x

So here i am at day 7 and cant begin to say how nice 1 weetabix and actimel was this morning. Now that im on puree food.

Last week consisted of liquids only, so consisted of half a bottle of slimfast for breakfast, lunch was 1/2 total 0% yoghurt with 1/2 a pot of cow and gate apple and pears thinned down with a bit of skimmed milk and tea was some homemade vegetable soup. I had butternut squash one day, cauliflower the next and then broccoli. I havent felt hungry at all which is a good thing. Ive constantly been sipping water so no risk of dehydration.

So i weighed myself yesterday morning and have lost another nine pounds taking me to 1 stone 9 off.

So for the following week ive got to make some cauliflower cheese to blitz into little pots and some weight watchers fish pie which i will blitz down. Next week is the mushy stage and im looking forward to some texture as im desperate to chew something.

Im allowed to take my dressings off on Sunday which cant come soon enough as they are getting a bit itchy now.

I received my date for my first fill -10th December so km looking forward to that so my little band can carry on helping me on my way.

I was on the internet yesterday looking at gym memberships, there is one round the corner from me , will have to wait until im healed a bit more but have decided i will go and join and try to help my weight loss.

Hope everyone else is doing ok x

Nice to hear from you Wilsnip. You have done really well to lose what you have. It's interesting to hear what your are eating. I can understand the wanting to chew something. All the best :)

Glad everything is going well, we are pretty much the same times and around the same weight.....although your loss is way better than mine! I'm even having my fill the same day!

I've discovered meat paste and hummus today which was just bootiful!
Zxx

Hi lovely, meat paste and humous, might have to get some of that, humous might be nice with my pureed cauli cheese. Good luck and keep me updated!

Cant wait for my fill cos i think i could still eat a lot more than i am at this stage so trying to keep calm over what it will be like when i can eat normal food again, i keep telling myself mind over matter, not easy though when hubby is tucking into a ham sandwich and a packet of crisps arrrrghhhhh.

Sounds like your doing great wilsnip,I get my first fill on the 2nd dec x
It's a good feeling seeing the scales going down isn't it x

Glad to hear you are doing well, and I have enjoyed reading your hospital experience.
looking forward to reading more of your diary.
You have done so well with your weight, and all the best with the rest of your journey.

WTG hun on that fab loss . sounds like your doing grand, yes very much mind over matter but you've got it nailed wd x x x

So hear I am on day ten, take the dressings off day. I removed them this morning and was surprised how neat the cuts are. The one on my left hand side is still very bruised as thats where the port went in. I would try to put a pic up but dont want to put people off their dinner :eek:

Food wise its going well, as Im on the puree stage. So far I have had my 1 weetabix with an actimel for breakfast, cauliflower soup for lunch or greek natural yoghurt with pureed fruit, dinner has been a mix of pureed chilli, and pureed bolognaise. Im doing my cauliflower cheese tomorrow and might do some pureed broccoli to mix with it.

Now I know some people have mentioned the dreaded word of constipation! I didnt think I had it until the middle of last week, I thought it was down to my reduced intake, well my tummy felt rock hard and I had the feeling of wanting to go, flippin eck was it painful, made me sweat and feel nauseous. I dont want to put too much detail on here, but ladies make sure you take something to make it a bit easier. I went to the chemist and got some senakot which Im going to take a small dose every couple of days to try and keep me regular, I definately dont want to go through that again.

Hubby and I have kept up the walking, I have been trying to do two miles everyday. I have quite bad arthritis in both ankles, one knee and one hip, so I can only do so much, but every bit helps.

Ive found my lungs are clear now, and the coughing (and phlegm) has abated which is good.

I still have a week off work to go, and will be doing some more walks, a bit of cooking and maybe a bit of christmas shopping.

Cant wait for mushy stage on Friday and my weighing day on Wednesday. Mind you I have noticed from a few people that your weight can go up a bit once you get back onto normal food, so Im trying to ensure I listen to my body, and ask myself if Im hungry or if its just head hunger (pesky thing).

Hope everyone else is doing ok x

Doing well sweetheart .. yes deffo make sure you take something for constipation, its an ongoing problem, 9 months in and i still have to take something to help me along lol Head hunger is the problem, if you can listen to your tum thats fantastic unfortunately the head gets us from time to time !! Also don't be disheartened if the scales stop when you swap over to normal foods, its quite normal........... your doing fab keep it up x x

Back