• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Bypass Experience

kell

well...im home from my bypass on Wednesday! Got home yesterday but feeling very sore and achey and just cant get comfortable in any position:cry:

Ok...here's a run through of what happened with my bypass.....

Tuesday: got a call from the hosp at about 10am confirming they had a bed for me and to go in at 6pm.

Arrived there about 5.30pm, felt very teary saying goodbye to my kids :(

Shown to my bed and nurse went through the paperwork. Told me that hubby could only be there during visiting hours 2-4 and 6-8, which i was a bit miffed at as it meant id have to go down to theatre the following morning on my own:cry:

Then a registrar came round to tell me about the risks etc and get me to sign the concent form.

Later on, a nurse came to take bloods and do a heart trace on me.

I felt very lonely and very teary all night.

Wednesday: Had a shower and got my gown and socks on ready for theatre at 8.30. Iwas so glad i was 1st on the list! feeling scared to death at this point!

I must be very good at hiding my emotions though, cos 4 different people/staff commented on how calm and relaxed i looked, when in reality all i wanted to do was burst into tears! lol

2 porters came for me at about 8ish and wheeled me up to theatre in my bed.

Got up to the waiting area where i stayed til nearly 9 when someone came for me.

got into theatre on the tiny operating table where some guy told me i had to remove my knickers (the nurse said i could keep them on!) it must have looked quite funny, me balancing on that table trying to get them off whilst TRYING to keep what little dignity i had left! lol

anethetist (i didnt like him, very arrogant) came to put needle in
back on my hand, and he was that rough i swear it was going to come out of my armpit at any mo!

anyway he didnt bother to tell me what he was doing, i just remember feeling really dizzy then closing my eyes.

I woke up retching on something in my throat complaining that my tummy was hurting.

I felt so sick, couldnt stop retching and the next thing im being wheeled back to the ward, which made me feel even more sick! i was put in the lifts with visitors whist lying there retching! not very dignified.

Ihad a bed booked for me in HDU but wasnt needed so straight back to the ward with my morphine pump which kept me drifting in and out of conciousness for the rest of the day.

Thursday: nurses came to get me out of bed for a wash etc. asked for a drink but wasnt allowed water at all. I had a tube up my nose, down my throat, oxygen mask, drip, sutures, staples, catheter, drain from the wound.

managed to get in the chair for a while, then back to bed.

Surgeon came round to say all went well and he didnt end up taking my gallbladder out after all.

I asked for the tube out my nose/throat...he said to the nurse to take out the tube cos it was rather large and it would be playing havoc with my relux.... yeah tell my about it!!! lol

Thursday, tube came out and the catheter

couldnt sleep thursday night which was a bad night.

Dietician called in with a booklet.

Friday: Had sutures taken out and drain...weird feeling! had my wound re dressed.

had to go for an xray to check for no leaks....that stuff they make you drink is horrid!! was retching again!

Back on ward I was finally allowed to drink, had a cup of tea but made me feel sick :sigh:

Had lots of anti sickness meds, and to be fair I havent actually been sick, I just cant manage to shake off the feeling of 'feeling sick'

Saturday: sent home with a bag of pain killers and told to go see my practice nurse in 10 days for the staples out.

xxxx

well...im home from my bypass on Wednesday! Got home yesterday but feeling very sore and achey and just cant get comfortable in any position:cry:

Ok...here's a run through of what happened with my bypass.....

Tuesday: got a call from the hosp at about 10am confirming they had a bed for me and to go in at 6pm.

Arrived there about 5.30pm, felt very teary saying goodbye to my kids :(

Shown to my bed and nurse went through the paperwork. Told me that hubby could only be there during visiting hours 2-4 and 6-8, which i was a bit miffed at as it meant id have to go down to theatre the following morning on my own:cry:

Then a registrar came round to tell me about the risks etc and get me to sign the concent form.

Later on, a nurse came to take bloods and do a heart trace on me.

I felt very lonely and very teary all night.

Wednesday: Had a shower and got my gown and socks on ready for theatre at 8.30. Iwas so glad i was 1st on the list! feeling scared to death at this point!

I must be very good at hiding my emotions though, cos 4 different people/staff commented on how calm and relaxed i looked, when in reality all i wanted to do was burst into tears! lol

2 porters came for me at about 8ish and wheeled me up to theatre in my bed.

Got up to the waiting area where i stayed til nearly 9 when someone came for me.

got into theatre on the tiny operating table where some guy told me i had to remove my knickers (the nurse said i could keep them on!) it must have looked quite funny, me balancing on that table trying to get them off whilst TRYING to keep what little dignity i had left! lol

anethetist (i didnt like him, very arrogant) came to put needle in
back on my hand, and he was that rough i swear it was going to come out of my armpit at any mo!

anyway he didnt bother to tell me what he was doing, i just remember feeling really dizzy then closing my eyes.

I woke up retching on something in my throat complaining that my tummy was hurting.

I felt so sick, couldnt stop retching and the next thing im being wheeled back to the ward, which made me feel even more sick! i was put in the lifts with visitors whist lying there retching! not very dignified.

Ihad a bed booked for me in HDU but wasnt needed so straight back to the ward with my morphine pump which kept me drifting in and out of conciousness for the rest of the day.

Thursday: nurses came to get me out of bed for a wash etc. asked for a drink but wasnt allowed water at all. I had a tube up my nose, down my throat, oxygen mask, drip, sutures, staples, catheter, drain from the wound.

managed to get in the chair for a while, then back to bed.

Surgeon came round to say all went well and he didnt end up taking my gallbladder out after all.

I asked for the tube out my nose/throat...he said to the nurse to take out the tube cos it was rather large and it would be playing havoc with my relux.... yeah tell my about it!!! lol

Thursday, tube came out and the catheter

couldnt sleep thursday night which was a bad night.

Dietician called in with a booklet.

Friday: Had sutures taken out and drain...weird feeling! had my wound re dressed.

had to go for an xray to check for no leaks....that stuff they make you drink is horrid!! was retching again!

Back on ward I was finally allowed to drink, had a cup of tea but made me feel sick :sigh:

Had lots of anti sickness meds, and to be fair I havent actually been sick, I just cant manage to shake off the feeling of 'feeling sick'

Saturday: sent home with a bag of pain killers and told to go see my practice nurse in 10 days for the staples out.

xxxx

Hi Kel how are you feeling now hope ur r recovering well.What hospital did u have ur surgery in sounds like they were not very compassionate with you which must of made ur experience in hospital hard especially not allowing your husband to be there when you went to surgery or to be there for you after.
From ur post i presume you had open surgery was there not the option of keyhole surgery.
Well now you are home with your family how are you feeling, are you still in pain or has the pain and discomfort worn off.
Hope you have a speedy recovery and are feeling fab soon.
Thanks for sharing with us take care and have a good day luv Roch xx

Glad you are home Kell and thankyou for sharing your story - please keep us updated when you feel up to it.

Yeah, feeling sick is definitely worse than actually being sick.

Lots of luck to you for your continued recovery x

I am glad you are home safe and sound. Sorry the hospital people were not very compassionate. They sound awful!

Thanks ladies, the nurses there were lovely, couldnt fault them....just a couple off bad uns that give the rest a bad name.
Im feeling really really achey, for some reason my back is killing me, I think its cos ive been lying/sleeping on my back when i dont normally?

The new roch...I had open surgery (no keyhole option) done in Leeds. My wound is sore and hurts when i get up and down. Id say overall it is all more discomfort than constant pain as such.

I was mortified when I found out Id be alone in hosp most of the time, especially having to go down to theatre on my own and have no one there for me when I woke up!

Onwards and upwards from here hopefully :) xxx

Hi ya Kell,

Glad to see your surgery went well. I hope you recover quickly and easily. Take it easy and take care.

Congratulations on the op!! Here's to the next few months!!!

OMG:eek: Kell Thats what Ime dreading when I go for my op on the 10th july. Ime going to think that no-body wants me :cry:. We have never been appart for 25+ years, but my daughter will be there with him I know ime being a wuss but we realy are close family, i think i will book them in a hotel or something. Anyone know a hotel near Spire hospital, manchester, russell road, off whalley lane...... gail-michelle

Back