• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Failed

Laura Gold

So went in for my surgery today. Got told I didn't lose enough weight so they cancelled. I have last 1.5 stone in two months and 4lbs in the last two weeks. The surgeon told me that he expected me to lose around 14lb on LSD. I don't know what happened. I stuck to it but somehow it didn't take. I am devastated. I am now referred back to the dietitian I'm 6 weeks and then have to go back on the waiting list. I am so upset. I feel like my stomach pains will never go.

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Really sorry to hear this but didn't you post that you'd had a few slips on the pre op diet? Hopefully you'll be back on the list and then stick to the pre op diet next time. We have to stick to the diet the surgeon tells us too otherwise we run the risk of being cancelled before we even get onto the operating table or, the liver being too large to move to perform the operation safely.

Laura Gold

Really sorry to hear this but didn't you post that you'd had a few slips on the pre op diet? Hopefully you'll be back on the list and then stick to the pre op diet next time. We have to stick to the diet the surgeon tells us too otherwise we run the risk of being cancelled before we even get onto the operating table or, the liver being too large to move to perform the operation safely.

I had a couple of slip ups the first couple of days I. E. A couple of bags of crisps.
Even if I hadn't had those I don't see how that would have made a 10lb difference.
I'm most frustrated that it was not made clear to me how much I was to lose in the two weeks, only that they wanted me to be losing.

Bling Babe

They certainly should have covered all of the expectations throughout your assessment period, which hospital are you with?

Bling Babe

Did they not tell you what was expected of you at any point? the pre op milk diet is fundamentally to shrink the liver so the surgeon can move it with ease to be able to access the stomach. It is bizarre that nothing has been explain to you?

Laura Gold

Did they not tell you what was expected of you at any point? the pre op milk diet is fundamentally to shrink the liver so the surgeon can move it with ease to be able to access the stomach. It is bizarre that nothing has been explain to you?

They told me that it was to shrink the liver. No mention of target loss at any of my appointments. The only thing they ever said was that I needed to be losing weight to show commitment, which I did.

Bling Babe

They told me that it was to shrink the liver. No mention of target loss at any of my appointments. The only thing they ever said was that I needed to be losing weight to show commitment, which I did.
I think you must get clarification from the team for next time

Laura Gold

I think you must get clarification from the team for next time
Thank you, I will be. I just didn't realise there was a misunderstanding so was quite upset. It's just another set back
I've waited 15 years to get help with my oesophagus and it was so close and now it's been yanked away

Bling Babe

Thank you, I will be. I just didn't realise there was a misunderstanding so was quite upset. It's just another set back
I've waited 15 years to get help with my oesophagus and it was so close and now it's been yanked away
You’ll get there and you’ll be better prepared next time too, what is the problem with your oesophagus if you don’t mind me asking and what is bein* done about it?

_Victoria_

Oh Laura i'm so sorry :( that must be devastating to actually get there and then be told you can't have it done. Will they put you close to the top of the waiting list after the 6 weeks or will you have to wait the whole time again? How long were you on the waiting list this time?