• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When do you throw in the towel

Mynewlife

My dilema!!!!

I was banded in July, and managed to lose 3 stone very quickly and easily, within the first two months. But not any more. In fact I have looked back at my weight loss diary and have only lost 7 pounds since September 08, that is 1 pound per month. Most normal people could lose that a week by taking a healthy sh**t. I have had two fills since , September, I am yo-yoing like an expert,and can just not get anywhere. The last 17 days I have exercised (mostly cv, treadmill, crosstrainer, bike, etc) and once in a while weights, but not significant weights to have built up muscle. I have gained 3 pounds in a week. I use a small bowl to eat out of, if I snack on anything it is carrot batons. I have done 17 days straight exercise and put on this 3 pounds:8855:. I just cant understand it. Part of me says, I should have saved a bit longer and got the bypass, but then that might have caused me these problems too!!. I am devastated, depressed, tearfull and just dont know what to do. I cant give up, I dont want to be fat, I cannot get happy being fat, but trying to get this weight off is making me more miserable than before the surgery ever took place. I wonder if I am one of those people who will not lose the weight, no matter what they do??? I keep a food diary, a weight diary, an exercise diary and a blood pressure diary. I am seeing a councellor every two weeks and a dietician within the next few weeks. Any advice at all would be helpfull to lift my spirits

:wave_cry::wave_cry::wave_cry::wave_cry::wave_cry:

Mynewlife

MNL, I can't help with the band advice, but I didn't want to read and run and have lots of hugs if you need them :hug99:

i was banded in sept and my weightloss has slowed alot, make sure you keep a good food diary and go see the dietician they should be able to help you go thru everything, do you have good restriction could be you need another fill but dont loose heart your have lost 3 stone and exersicing well so your getting healthier

Hello there

Just to let you know you are not alone.

I too went through this phase. I have only had one fill since my op in October and due for another in 2 weeks (ish on NHS)

I lost quite a bit in the first couple of months but it slowed almost to a halt. Its only this past week that I have managed to shift what I had regained and that took one hell of a lot of excercise.

From what I understand, most people who have weightloss surgery come to a stall at some point. We have just hit ours. Also it can take between 2-6 fills to get the sweet spot on restriction that allows full weight loss. So right now you are doing 90 percent of the work.

The fact is you have upped your excercise like me, that will build muscle and burn fat... the trouble is muscle weighs more than the fat, so it might show as a weight gain to begin with but as we keep working and eat well and continue to have fills that will soon show as a loss.

Don't give up hope, you have done bloody well so far and you should focus on that. This is only temporary.

You did not waste your money and this is not a waste of time, you will get there, you sound very focused and determined:D;)

No one ever said this was going to be easy, there are times when I want to have the whole thing pulled out and stuff a Sarah Lee cake in my mouth whole but I look back and see that 30 odd pounds gone and realise it's working. It might be slower than I hoped for BUT it IS working...

Keep doing as you are and I bet you in 3 months time, we will be a couple of stone (or more) lighter...:)

Don`t worry hun, I know exactly how u feel. I was banded at the end of Oct 08 and lost 20lbs then week after week nothing. I even put 5lb on over xmas and Jan. Had another fill just over 2 weeks ago and I thought I`d hit the jackpot as last week I lost the full 5lb I`d put on but then weighed myself today and nothing - again!!! It`s so frustrating cos like u say I`m eating from small bowls and bloomin side plates lol. I know people say u can actually not lose weight if u don`t eat enough but is that actually true??? Let me know how u get on hun, chin up like everyone on here says we`re just gonna have to wait till we hit our sweet spot lol xxx

Can't help re the band but wanted to send you hugs and support. You are not alone and others in similar shoes are already trying to help. hang in there, you sound like a determined person who deserves to suceed.

thank you to everyone for the encouragement, support and help to get through this low point. I am working on a new plan and am starting by taking a week off to get myself together to move forward. After my week off, I am going to give it another go, see what the dietician says, and hopefully manage to get this sorted out.

thanks once again :)

I'm sure that once you get back on track, things will start moving again. I had my band fitted three months ago and have lost just over two stone and although im not to far off target, the weight has reall really slowed down and at the moment i am struggling with it, i know that i have a lot going on emotionally at the moment but it is still damned hard so i know how you feel. julie x

I cann't help with the banding info but from reading everyones you have probably hit a platau. As for not losing weight if you do not eat, yes eventually you stop losing weight as eventually your body goes into 'starvation mode' to conserve the fats

i had the bypass march 08 in the first 6 mths i lost 5 stone, but nothing since one consulation is i haven't put anything on i have tried the water loading too with no avail.

hi alison65, have you spoken to your dietician as to why you havent lost any further weight, you may be eating to high calorie foods!! how are you feeling in yourself? x

Sorry to hear your struggling chick...((hugs)) to you, speak to your dietician and see what they say and I hope it gets sorted for you soon....till then be strong chick..xx

my dieticien (not from the surgery as i have had no follow up except at 5 weeks post op) said to try more carbs and less protein, that didn't work then i saw my gastroenterologist who said more protein which also hasn't worked, i am good in myself more fitter in size 16- 18 clothes, so i suppose i shouldn't grumble.

if you happy alison and your healthy then that is all that matters and as you say you havent put on weight, so thats a bonus. where did you have your surgery alison? x

Hi alison65,

I'm booked into leeds nuffield, can you give me some advice?? What is it like, rooms etc. Do I need to bring my own towels???

hi
my room was quite large, towels were provided, it is just like a hotel room but with a hospital bed, you have your tv, dressing table relaxer chair, menu (for visitors, tea coffee snacks etc), it gets very lonely as you are all behind closed doors, you have to ring for a drink which i hated so didn't bother, there are that many different types of staff i got confused as to who was who, to be honest i was glad to get out, give me nhs wards anytime.
after your op you go into intensive care for 24hrs then back up to your room. then if everything is ok you go home the next day.

Back