• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feel So Humble

BlueDiamond

Hiya Guys and Gals

As some of u know I been looking into t/t procedures and I rang my surgeons secretary today to be told of all the cut backs etc ( knew about them anyway) but I didnt realise how bad things had got for ppl waiting for bariatric surgery, she informed me that they are turning 30-40 applicants away daily because the pct just simply isn't funding anymore, even for things like varicose veins etc. I just feel so humble to have been given the chance or weight loss surgery and If I hadn't of been referred when I was there is no way in month of Sunday I would have EVER got weight loss surgery, I am so chuffing grateful, even with the excess skin.....thank you Nhs xxx

BlueDiamond said:
Hiya Guys and Gals

As some of u know I been looking into t/t procedures and I rang my surgeons secretary today to be told of all the cut backs etc ( knew about them anyway) but I didnt realise how bad things had got for ppl waiting for bariatric surgery, she informed me that they are turning 30-40 applicants away daily because the pct just simply isn't funding anymore, even for things like varicose veins etc. I just feel so humble to have been given the chance or weight loss surgery and If I hadn't of been referred when I was there is no way in month of Sunday I would have EVER got weight loss surgery, I am so chuffing grateful, even with the excess skin.....thank you Nhs xxx

Nice post, it's good to be aware of how lucky you are and be so grateful x

I've been reading stories even on here that made me realise just how lucky I am, from have a wonderful GP (who was the one who actually suggested surgery in the first place) to being in a PCT that take people with a BMI over 40 and not 50 or higher.
I really feel like it's a huge blessing so I'm even more determined to make it work! :)

I agree about being lucky. My BMI had to be 40 or over, not 50, and I didn't have to worry about applying for funding or anything. I have a fabulous female g.p who knows me and my family and was aware of the desperation I felt. The seminar I attended was warm, friendly yet still very informative and the staff I've met so far have been great. So, I also would like to thank the NHS for employing the best!

im the same ,my gp told me to go for it ,i moved from my old gp when i moved ,the old one would never take me seriously ,, this new one is brilliant,and i feel really blessed to get this chance ,,,,,just feel sad for those who dont , must be heartbreaking x,,

I couldn't agree more with this, despite recent developments I still feel extremely lucky to have been given the chance of a few years at a normal weight. I've been able to cram more into the last two years than in the previous fifteen and that is as a result of the NHS making the investment in me.

As for plastics, well I always knew it was not an option with my PCT and to be honest I agree with them. I got fat, they got me thin and if there are skin issue consequences because I was a lazy greedy fat git, so be it. I don't begrudge anyone who gets plastics free, though personally I don't agree with the NHS paying millions for cosmetic surgery when there are still huge people being turned down for WLS. Spend the money getting people fitter and healthier and if you want to look better pay for it yourself. If you can't pay, live with it.

As for plastics, well I always knew it was not an option with my PCT and to be honest I agree with them. I got fat, they got me thin and if there are skin issue consequences because I was a lazy greedy fat git, so be it. I don't begrudge anyone who gets plastics free, though personally I don't agree with the NHS paying millions for cosmetic surgery when there are still huge people being turned down for WLS. Spend the money getting people fitter and healthier and if you want to look better pay for it yourself. If you can't pay, live with it.

Wise words as always Karlos :D x

I also feel very lucky to have my funding approved, especially when I read on this board that people with 50+BMI are being refused. I'm fortunate enough to live in a PCT area that at the time I applied would accept patients with a BMI of over 35 with co-morbidities (sp). I know I will probably have loose skin, but this is nothing compared with the benefits I hope to have to my health, and anyway at 50+years old I'm not looking to show off my midriff and I will just continue to cover my upper arms. I do accept that some people have so much excess skin that it affects their health, but that is another story.

I totally agree, Karen x

Fabulous thread & posting :) I have not had surgery yet but do realise how lucky I am to even be on the list having read of so many people being turned down who really should qualify. Our poor old NHS is really struggling & I would not even ask about plastics if I should need them, as a relative of mine with severe burns is waiting for his last op to make him a bit more presentable (his words, not mine) & has been told it will be upwards of 6 mnths for him to get this. Having had 7 procedures already to help his airways, mouth & ears he does not mind waiting for this more cosmetic op but he faces the world every day knowing people stare & make comments, & none of it was his fault, so it really does make me grateful for the funds that are available for some of us more lucky ones to at least have the operation & should I feel I need a TT I will have to look at funding it myself. Thanks for the opportunity NHS :)

Just to put a different perspective on it - I am one of those who was lucky enough to get both my WLS and my abdominoplasty on the NHS.

I fully respect those of you with the view that a tummy tuck is cosmetic, but the NHS do not perform TT for cosmetic reasons - there has to be a functional difficulty, such as repeat infections or similar before the NHS will consider funding. Also for me personally (but not others under my PCT) I had to prove I could maintain my weight loss at a healthy weight for at least 12 months before being added to the waiting list.

I know my excess skin would never have killed me, like my excess weight, but I became depressed at the constant infections and the pain and smell (sorry for TMI) that the infections brought. It affected my confidence, my relationship, my sex life.... not life threatening no, but they did affect the quality of my life.

Im on the slow road to recovery now at just 3 weeks post surgery, and I am sore and swollen and so not yet able to see the finished result - but already I know that Im not going to have the hideous infections and the ugly hanging apron that caused me so much misery.

Hope I havent offended anyone. Yes there will always be more deserving cases, such as cancer, heart attacks and burns etc etc etc for the NHS to spend their money on.

Going private for me was not an option. I could never save or borrow the money required and I am therefore eternally grateful to the NHS for this opportunity.

I totally agree with Sam on this I had my bypass and a fleur de leyes tummy tuck all in a space of year and I will be forever in debt to the NHS for what it has given me but as Sam said there is still criteria to get funding and the NHS won't fund if it is for cosmetic reasons only which I agree with

im also greatful to the nhs for my wls surgeries and my tummy tuck which was also done for health reasons and not cosmetic, its all down to diff areas and what each funds also x

There are always exceptions to every rule ... in this case if a TT is done for health reasons & it gets past all the people needed to give it the OK, well fair play it is not classed as cosmetic. But I know some will try anyway just because it is a bit embarrassing or does not fit their new body image, soon forgetting the gift of extended life they have received. This is not aimed at anyone on here as I have not come across anyone who seems to be going purely for cosmetic results ... but it does happen. Good luck to anyone who has has the op on the NHS & has a better quality of life healthwise as I would never knock that. x :)

Yep if its for clinical reasons (other than it making you miserable) I have no problem with it being funded. If the areas under the flaps of skin are getting infected that is a clinical reason for surgery. If it just makes you miserable then sorry but for me that's no more deserving than the woman who wants bigger boobs, or even say Rooney wanting a hair transplant.

I am great full to the NHS, to have been bless to be put forward for this surgery, and i'm so excited at the moment waiting for it xx

I know exactly what you mean about being lucky. I feel especially lucky as in N.Ireland we have not been able to have bariatric surgery on the nhs, apart from 75 people over the past 3 years who have been flown to birmingham. I was blessed to be one of those people and will be forever grateful for a 2nd chance at life.
In relation to plastics, there is no way in hell of getting funded here, but I am saving like mad to pay for mine next yr hopefully.

Back