• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

feeling crap now and iv not even started :(

helenpizzey

Iv got an appointment on Sept 10th and today I received the surgeons questionaire and now I feel like rubbish. He asks so many questions that make me feel like I'm just fat and need to pull my finger out :( He wants dates of diets iv done and how much iv lost each time and I don't know the dates. So worried I won't qualify or he'll turn me down for surgery because of my answers!

what a jobs worth ! I know he is doing his job and must see dozens of people all claiming to have tried every diet/fad under the sun and today may have been a tough day but for you its your first time your telling the truth as you want to have the surgery and you should have been treated better than that ,please don't feel bad its not your fault just put this down to him having a bad day and things will improve for you just keep the faith

Helen - IMO these sorts of questionnaires aren't about trying to make you feel bad about yourself, they're there to give the team a good idea of your history and also to help you with the mental preparation for surgery by getting you to have an honest assessment of your eating habits.

Many of us who've got to this stage of needing surgery have lied to ourselves over the years - whether it's about what we eat, when we eat, the efforts we've made to change our lifestyles. A lot of us downplay, even to ourselves, what we've done. Because, lets face it, if were all eating healthy normal portions and doing the required exercise we wouldn't be morbidly obese.

Facing your demons is a good thing because surgery is NOT a magic bullet; it's a tool to help you lose weight but it still requires lifestyle changes or else, long term, the weight will go back on again and the surgery will have been for nowt.

So I wouldn't take it personally; the surgeon didn't wake up that morning and decide to compile a questionnaire specifically to humiliate you - they're way too busy for that and the fact that they're bariatric surgeons shows they recognise the issues obese people face and want to help them! I didn't get a written questionnaire but during my consultation the surgeon asked a lot of questions about previous diet attempts, my eating habits, my exercise regime etc.

I remember having to fill out something like this. For my surgeon it was more to enable him to choose the best procedure for me. He looked at that along with a fortnight long food diary to make the best choice. Due to my eating habits (skipping breakfast and lunch and bindging at dinner time, plus having a very sweet tooth) he chose the bypass. I wasn't on a 'diet' at the time of doing the food diary. It was an honest representation of what and when I ate. It was a shock to see but really helped me get my arse in gear with what needed to change both pre and post op x

He looked at that along with a fortnight long food diary to make the best choice. Due to my eating habits (skipping breakfast and lunch and bindging at dinner time, plus having a very sweet tooth) he chose the bypass.

You've got the same issue I have. I don't have a sweet tooth (cheese and bread are my downfalls!) but I tend to go all day without eating and then eat a mountain at night. I find that it's mostly because I rarely feel hungry, but by the same token I don't feel full until I'm about to explode! Glad to hear that the bypass is a good option for that eating behaviour as I elected to have the mini bypass :)

I could eat unbelievable quantities but also only in the evening and right up until bed time. The change now is scary but well worth it :) xXx

It will help your surgeon to decide whats best for you, be honest say you can't remember dates (who would/could) but list what you have tried, I too was the same could skip food all day but once I started eating then watch out nothing was safe from my chomping jaws lol

HUnni nobody is looking for a 'right' or 'wrong' answer so don't worry about it....as the girls have said its about being honest with your answers that counts....

Am pretty sure this form is about cutting down parts of the first appointment, as my first one was based pretty much round these types of questions..... by what CB and CEB have said, there is so much more in the first appointment now (which makes sense) also as the others have said, its not about making you feel bad, its about knowing what options are best for you ...after all they are the experts, they have seen and heard it all.......I also agree, that when you actually put it down (honestly) you will surprise yourself ........... see it as the first step to being the new you.....honesty is the key..... don't forget there are several of us here if you need a chat..... coffee dates can be arranged :) x x x x x

Thanks guys. I filled it out today with an open mind and was completely honest. :) I skip breakfast and lunch and stuff my face in the evenings and would always take a packet of crisps over a chocolate bar, I was planning on the sleeve but do you think he'll want me to have a bypass?

Only your surgeon can advise you hunni, its amazing how your eating habits change I know mine have I now eat 3 meals and even though I am 20 months out I'm still losing xx I had the bypass

Helen - IMO these sorts of questionnaires aren't about trying to make you feel bad about yourself, they're there to give the team a good idea of your history and also to help you with the mental preparation for surgery by getting you to have an honest assessment of your eating habits.

Many of us who've got to this stage of needing surgery have lied to ourselves over the years - whether it's about what we eat, when we eat, the efforts we've made to change our lifestyles. A lot of us downplay, even to ourselves, what we've done. Because, lets face it, if were all eating healthy normal portions and doing the required exercise we wouldn't be morbidly obese.

Facing your demons is a good thing because surgery is NOT a magic bullet; it's a tool to help you lose weight but it still requires lifestyle changes or else, long term, the weight will go back on again and the surgery will have been for nowt.

So I wouldn't take it personally; the surgeon didn't wake up that morning and decide to compile a questionnaire specifically to humiliate you - they're way too busy for that and the fact that they're bariatric surgeons shows they recognise the issues obese people face and want to help them! I didn't get a written questionnaire but during my consultation the surgeon asked a lot of questions about previous diet attempts, my eating habits, my exercise regime etc.
couldnt have said it better myself

Which Dr are you seeing Helen? I saw My Creely and didn't have to fill in anything. They all seem to be different even within the same hospital!

I had my sleep apneoa test yesterday, so waiting for the results. I don't want to have it as I don't want to sleep with a stupid machine, but I want it if it will speed up surgery!!

I'm seeing Mr creely, I got a questionnaire because apparently he likes them and he's the only surgeon who does one. What are your symptoms that made them think you might have sleep apnea?

I'm seeing Mr creely, I got a questionnaire because apparently he likes them and he's the only surgeon who does one. What are your symptoms that made them think you might have sleep apnea?

I wonder why he didn't give me a questionnaire?!:confused:

He asked if I snore, and I have M.E and Fibro so am tired all the time, and that is a symptom so he decided to get me checked. It's strange how everyone's appts are so different, even with the same dr!

Ive received my 1st appt for the group session with the dietician, for 14th Sept. There are 4 group sessions and a one-to-one appt. At least when the apointments start you feel things are finally moving forward. What date is your appt again?

The surgeon I was initially booked with (mine was postponed by a couple of years due to a bit of a health problem) had a survey to fill in, even though my private medical insurance company had pre-approved cover. By the time I was ready for surgery, I was able to have it done in my home town because we had a new surgeon who had returned from several years working at a bariatric centre in America. He didn't require a survey.

In the case of the first surgeon, he said it was useful to look at patterns of behaviour and what worked/didn't work to decide on which surgery would be most successful, and also to track overall patterns and statistics with patients. They entered the information anonymously and kept records show diets tried, percentage of weight loss etc. They also used the post-op information so they could actually see what did achieve the best results for particular types of patients.

As others have said, there are no right or wrong answers, and it's not about judging you: it gives them the information they need so the best decisions can be made for you. And in the case of the surgeon I dealt with, so the best decisions can also be made for future patients.

I was really nervous too but it was nothing to worry about. Just so you know, when you arrive (it's in a really weird waiting room!) you need to ask for a parking permit. I asked if he was running on time (as most Drs I see are running late) and was told Mr Creely is always on time!
So at least you won't have ages to wait. I was called in by the nurse 1st, for a weight and height check, then sent back to the waiting room. Then Mr Creely called me in, and when he finished he handed me over to Andy the exercise guy. Then I went back to the waiting room to wait for the nurse to call me in for the bloods that Mr Creely wanted.
Just to give you an idea of what to expect. :)

Things have changed for sure..... my first appointment was just to see Creely.... yes was weighed etc but the exercise appointment was a completely separate thing in Pool and my bloods were not until the mtd meeting LOL lets hope these changes are all adding up to a faster turn around...certainly sounds less disjointed :) x x x

When I saw my GP last week I asked if she had the results from the bloods that Mr Creely did, but she said they don't get given them. But she asked if I'd had a letter from him, I hadn't, so she said one should be on the way. That was last Tues but I still haven't received it.
Anyway she said it's something to do with steroid levels, and I will be sent a tablet to take at night and will need a blood test first thing in the morning.
Googling it, it seems to be a test for cortisol levels, testing for Cushings syndrome.
I wait for the post every day, as I want to know what's going on, and if it will affect me having WL surgery. Also, if it is Cushings, I'm not on any steroids, so do I have a tumour?!! Wish the letter would hurry up!!!

Back