• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

And so it begins...Kirsty's journey to a sleeve!!

Thanks for help an great advive hannah. I have gp tomorrow im gna request some bloods as im on zero energy all the time. I already tried to get seen at hospital but that was no use. My gp is golden so well help me an send me for bloods. An i will call dietician tomorrow for advice.

Kirst xx

Have you had b12 jab yet?

No b12 whats that for im over due my hospital check up an haven had any bloods post op at all.

Kirsty xx

Vitamin B12, we can't absorb it properly so need levels checked to see if they are low. B12 deficiency is quite dangerous so important to get levels monitored. Symptoms include lethargy. If you do need jabs then they are usually every 3 months.

Did you get bloods taken at your GP appointment? It might be your iron levels as well. Do you take multi vitamins/ iron/ calcium and vit D each day? It is important that we do.

How did you get on with your diet/dietician? Have you managed to have 3 or more meals/snacks a day?

I was a sleeve patient at Walsall Manor and they and I asked about B12 from the start. They refused as did my GP. Said they would consider if I was bypass due to malabsorbtion but not for a sleeve. My levels have been tested every three months and are still 'in range' so sadly I've got nowhere getting a B12 jab!

Yep I'm sleeved and all my blood test results have been good but I still have to have the B12 every 3 months. Didn't they talk you through your post op care before surgery @xk1rstyx ? I know we had a lot of information during both tier 3 and the appointments and seminars at hospital before the surgery because they wanted us to be very clear about the life long medication, including B12 shots that we would be signing up for.

Also I have contact details for my team including email as well as phone so I can contact them directly if I have any problems. Have they not provided you with similar?

I had my operation just before you and I've been seen twice at hospital since, they've taken blood then and weighed me to monitor my progress. My GP took my stitches out and has so far administered two shots and also will take blood to monitor me if they have any concerns. Someone needs to be monitoring you so it's great you have a good relationship with them, hopefully they can sort the hospital out for you.

The b12 is starting to become mandatory for new patients in most trusts.

I've asked only last month. My team at Walsall are clearly slammed with work and I was actually discharged in September some 15 months only after my sleeve. My GP, like the whole NHS, has to be budget conscious. He is lovely. Blood tests show my levels are well in range so he gently made the point he cannot prescribe a supplement when I am ok. Sadly. I've read the guidance for sleeve supplements from the British Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS) but even that seems to not mandate it unlike their bypass list. I run a support group and some sleeve patients are provided it without question. It's all very hit and miss.

Hi all im jus over 5 months post op an i havent had a single blood test an only been seen once by hospital. Iv called them as im worried im losing too much weight an cant stop. I dont manage 3 meals a day i jus dont get hungry but im exhausted all the time an get very bad head aches. Somethin aint right i will ask my gp to run some bloods. Im jus goin through a messy seperation my hubby left me 1 week post op so iv also been under alot of stress. Think i need to take better care of myself an make sure docs do their bit as well.

Kirsty xx

The reason you're exhausted and you're getting headaches is because of the lack of food. You might not be hungry but you still need a substational amount or you'll become ill. We have mentioned in previous comments about shakes for you to have too(I'm not sure if you read all comments) If you can't manage a meal then have a shake that has more calories in it. There are plenty of build up shakes on the market. I'm sorry you're going through a hard time but please take care of yourself. You'll soon become malnourished if you do not sort something soon. Sorry if it comes across harshly but it needs to be said as it's so very serious.

Hope you sort something. X

Hi all im jus over 5 months post op an i havent had a single blood test an only been seen once by hospital. Iv called them as im worried im losing too much weight an cant stop. I dont manage 3 meals a day i jus dont get hungry but im exhausted all the time an get very bad head aches. Somethin aint right i will ask my gp to run some bloods. Im jus goin through a messy seperation my hubby left me 1 week post op so iv also been under alot of stress. Think i need to take better care of myself an make sure docs do their bit as well.

Kirsty xx

You have had such a lot to deal with. We had our ops at the same time of year, in the same hospital, but I was a year before you as you know. I was about a stone heavier when I had my surgery. You've already passed my weight loss by a huge margin as I am still just over 12 stone! Eek!

Whilst achieving your goal and some is blooming fabulous - to do it in 5 months is super quick. I have to say I agree you're feeling exhausted and weak as you're running your body on little/no fuel. Whilst no one wants to encourage you to over eat - you do need to eat a balance and nutritional daily diet so your can function well.

Your sleeve will easily allow you to eat healthily and around 1200 calories a day - any less and I imagine you're still going to lose weight. You can't keep losing and become poorly as that's as unhealthy as being obese I guess.

It's easy to say eat a bit more but you've said you're not even managing meals some days. Perhaps ensure you've got protein rich yoghurts, some protein shakes, have milky drinks, nibble on cheese cubes, almonds, hummus, tuna or smoke salmon - or any healthy food you enjoy.

I contacted PALS at our hospital to ask how I could get an appointment post op and one came through fairly quickly following that prod. Otherwise give the dietician a call - I can message you her name/number of it helps - you need energy to manage all the things you have in your life so I do hope it's a bit better really soon.

You've done brilliantly. More than I can ever hope for and I am certainly not being critical of you in any way - just not wanting you to get poorly. It's hard to built up nutritional levels once they have depleted so catching it early is ideal.

Very best wishes indeed xx

Last edited:
I've asked only last month. My team at Walsall are clearly slammed with work and I was actually discharged in September some 15 months only after my sleeve. My GP, like the whole NHS, has to be budget conscious. He is lovely. Blood tests show my levels are well in range so he gently made the point he cannot prescribe a supplement when I am ok. Sadly. I've read the guidance for sleeve supplements from the British Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS) but even that seems to not mandate it unlike their bypass list. I run a support group and some sleeve patients are provided it without question. It's all very hit and miss.
I have just looked at the NICE guidelines for GP's for nutrional supplements and blood tests following WLS. http://www.bomss.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/GP_Guidance-Final-version-1Oct141.pdf

Interestingly I have found the lead writer was by my dietitian who is a Consultant at St James in Leeds. She also told me she had written a bariatric recipe book in conjunction with someone else in Scotland and i could get it at a discount. Haven't done so yet, but may if i get any problems further down the line. Her bedside manner is awful but i have great faith in her knowledge.

When my GP said he didn't want to do a B12 injection unless my levels were low, I told him that hospital had told me i had to have them every three months, whatever. The letter had taken a while to get there so I got a copy and showed it to him, and he agreed that the hospital were the experts so he wrote it up.

Kirsty xx
Sorry you have had such a hard time. :( I insisted my GP ran some bloods at 3 months (even though dietitian had 6 months was fine) as I had had trouble with the Forceval and had stopped taking it, plus avoided the iron for 4 weeks because of severe constipation. Having had really poor health in the past due to low iron and vit D levels, I wasn't taking any chances. I agree with Debs, you need to look after yourself and make sure you drink something nutritious at least if you don't feel hungry. There is no point in going through the surgery in the hopes of a better life if you are not going to be well enough to make the most of it. What would happen if you ran a car without putting any petrol and oil in?? It would die!

Hi there Kirsty.

Hope you had a magical Christmas and are looking forward to the new year. How did your blood work go? Hope you're feeling s bit better now x

Hi @xk1rstyx Kirsty - hope you are ok. Just thought I would check in to see how you are doing - has the weight loss slowed down yet? Hope you are feeling better and hope to see yo again soon xx

hi everyone sorry iv not been around for such a long time iv jus read through ur comments ands its so lovely that you are all thinking of me anf giving such good advice.

im doing well but i havent been seen by hospital since my 6 weeks post op check despite calling them asking for help. i did how ever have my bloods take at gp an they came back showing borderline low b12 an low kidney function. iv had them repeated again twice since then. the second result was pretty much the same but the third result everythin was within normal range. so thats good news.

i know u are going to tell me off a little but i still have the odd day where i eat nothing at all but its rare. i eat a very well varied diet now with plenty of meat im restricted alot to about 10 bites of food no matter what i eat. i think because i ate so little at the start iv never got myself fully bak onto 3 meals a day. i usually have 2 meals a day. i lost 9 stone in total now which is 2 more stone than i wanted to lose. the weight loss has stopped now thank god im in a size 6/8 clothes an weigh about 9st4lb. iv been the same weight for a good few months now.

i met my new partner in november and he treats me like a queen. he is unaware of my sleeve but as im so tiny he constantly makes sure i eat when ever he is around and even cooks for me sometimes. im still getting head aches an feeling tired but im much better than i was. i walk plenty and stay active. im still suffering with pain from my arthritis but i never expected that to go away lol.

it will be my 1 year anniversary post of in a few weeks on june 8th and when i look bak on how my life was the time last year iv come so far and im a much happier person. life is treating me good atm.

i hope everyone is doing well i will try update a little more often even if its just to keep in touch with the wonderful friends iv made through this site. i dont think i could have gotten to where i am now without all of ur support so from the bottom of my heart thank you all so much. speak soon.

Kirsty xx

So lovely to hear from you Kirsty and realise life is overall, very good. You've had an incredible year! We both celebrate Walsall Manor ops on June 8th albeit my results are more modest. So pleased your health checks have caught and resolved your vitamin deficiencies. Hope that's sorted now and have a great summer!
X

hi everyone sorry iv not been around for such a long time iv jus read through ur comments ands its so lovely that you are all thinking of me anf giving such good advice.

im doing well but i havent been seen by hospital since my 6 weeks post op check despite calling them asking for help. i did how ever have my bloods take at gp an they came back showing borderline low b12 an low kidney function. iv had them repeated again twice since then. the second result was pretty much the same but the third result everythin was within normal range. so thats good news.

i know u are going to tell me off a little but i still have the odd day where i eat nothing at all but its rare. i eat a very well varied diet now with plenty of meat im restricted alot to about 10 bites of food no matter what i eat. i think because i ate so little at the start iv never got myself fully bak onto 3 meals a day. i usually have 2 meals a day. i lost 9 stone in total now which is 2 more stone than i wanted to lose. the weight loss has stopped now thank god im in a size 6/8 clothes an weigh about 9st4lb. iv been the same weight for a good few months now.

i met my new partner in november and he treats me like a queen. he is unaware of my sleeve but as im so tiny he constantly makes sure i eat when ever he is around and even cooks for me sometimes. im still getting head aches an feeling tired but im much better than i was. i walk plenty and stay active. im still suffering with pain from my arthritis but i never expected that to go away lol.

it will be my 1 year anniversary post of in a few weeks on june 8th and when i look bak on how my life was the time last year iv come so far and im a much happier person. life is treating me good atm.

i hope everyone is doing well i will try update a little more often even if its just to keep in touch with the wonderful friends iv made through this site. i dont think i could have gotten to where i am now without all of ur support so from the bottom of my heart thank you all so much. speak soon.

Kirsty xx

Back