• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Finally bit the bullet...

starbuck

Hi everyone. I've been reading this site for a few days and decided to sign up because everyone seems so supportive and helpful.

I'm 36, a single mum working full time and I'm bipolar. Life can be tough!

I've struggled with my weight my whole life, just as I'm sure everyone else here has. Its been up, down and all over the place. Sometimes I've been ok with it, sometimes I havnt been able to leave the house and everything in between.

A couple of weeks ago i was out with friends and their kids who i hadnt seen in a while. We were sat in a cafe when the little 5 year old son of one of my friends looked at me and, with no malice or cruelty, just absolute bewilderment and astonishment said 'you're so fat!' Cue awkward silence from those assembled. I just laughed and told him he was short. At the time i wasnt bothered but it kind of stayed with me and got me thinking about other things - how 'personal care' is starting to get harder, how living on the second floor is not getting any easier, how I only stayed in my last relationship as long as i did because it was better than being alone and well, who else would have me..?!

So i finally weighed myself and was not surprised to see that I'm the biggest I've ever been putting my bmi at 40. It was time to see the doctor. Not for the first time but this time i was prepared to ask if surgery is an option. I had thought up so many justifications as to why i should have it but turns out i didnt need them as he beat me to it. He knows how often I've tried and also that my bipolar medication leads to weight gain and makes it extra hard to lose. He is referring me to st. Georges in tooting and said it will be up to a year before I get the surgery. Since then I've been devouring as much information as i can which is how i found this place and have been mainly inspired, fairly hopeful and a tiny bit petrified!

Hello and welcome :)
Making the decision is a big step so well done and good luck on your journey x

Thank you. Is it normal that this is literally all I can think about and I'm wishing my life away til I can get it done?!

Yep I think so. I certainly went through phases of being so focused on it and then I'd get distracted. I did so much research and reading up and preparation and then the surgery date finally landed on the doormat. It felt like I forgot everything I'd read and the fact it was really going to happen ironically made it feel unreal. I think when you've wanted and waited for years you never really quite believe it'll happen :)

I'm already on such a rollercoaster of emotions - fear, joy, shame, excitement.... I'm sure that will settle down once the process is underway and I'm dealing with the facts as they relate to me.

Hello and welcome.

Making that decision to have surgery can be very hard, so it's no wonder you're a mix of emotions. I'm glad you found this place, it's helped me loads in the last months.

Thank you. I have a huge raft of blood tests tomorrow to find out exactly where I'm at physically I suppose. For once I'm kind of hoping they reveal whole host of problems in order to strengthen my case! Is that bad?!!

Be careful what you wish for! Had the blood tests Friday morning and lunchtime today the doctors calls to say they want to see me about my test results. Part of me thinks OK something to add weight to my cause (pun intended) but part of me think's oh my god, that was quick, what have they found to want to see me so urgently..?!!!

Hopefully everything will be ok, or, as you say, it'll be something to add weight to youre cause!

Welcome to the forum anyway and I look forward to you sharing your journey with us :D

Let us know how you get on x

I will, thank you. I have envisaged 3 nightmare scenarios. I'm about to have a heart attack, I'm pregnant or on the verge of a stroke. One of these things is worse news than the others. You might be surprised which...

I was with St. George's and they are wonderful people. I had my op six weeks ago and have not looked back. I was much heavier than you (so don't beat yourself up too much about being at your heaviest) , and whilst the process is an exercise in patience you do get there in the end. A year is about right, but you should spend the time getting ready for surgery and mostly for life after it.

Good luck

That's really good to hear, thank you. Which op did you have? How long was it from gp referal to your first contact from the hospital? Glad to hear you're doing so well x

Doctor referral was end October2015. Operation was September 2016.
That said, I was struggling for years with my weight and had lots of support from my wonderful doctor over the years so I didn't have to do a tier 3 which you will hear a lot about on this forum.

First hospital app to was with consultant (Dr Reddy) then second with the dietitian (Scott) and then I was referred to the MDT at the end of May where I was approved for surgery. From then it was a tortious wait until my date was confirmed, then pushed back three days.

My advice is to keep emailing and phoning as the administration is not as efficient as it could be and it keeps you in their minds.

I had the sleeve but it is not the operation I expected so was quite a shock when I woke up. But it's great. And this is all just a tool, not the final solution. You still need will power and determination and make the right choices on food and drink for life.

Also I didn't have any health issues other than weight.

So I'm pretty much you a year ago! A couple of years ago I did a wellbeing programme through my doctors. I lost about 1 and a half stone in the 12 or so weeks i was seen but I was already doing the biggest loser and had lost nearly a stone before they saw me. Needless to say that didn't last as I got made redundant a couple of months later which was all the excuse I needed to abandon my good intentions. Is that like a tier 3 programme?

I'm not sure. Have St. George's said if you are suitable for surgery and set out the milestones?

now is the time to phone them or email the consultants to introduce yourself and show them you are determined and keen.

Back