• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Finally trying "real" solid foods lol.

nora_renee81

Hello everyone I'm pretty new here. I've been on this site many times befor and was able to read alot of experiences from others that are going through basically the same thing I am when it comes to my post-operation worries. Ok, so enough intro... I am currently 8 wks post-op and for the 1st time tried some Subway yesterday. And I have to admit it went and stayed down great, which I was very surprised because I have been having some trouble with solid foods since my Surgeon gave me the go to start on them. I told him I was too scared to but he said I have to at least try lol. That was 2 weeks ago and The subway was one of the first real solids I've tried since just sticking to soup : P. So...my question is or if you just have opinions... is something like a small sandwich ok or something I should really avoid?

Personally I wouldn't have chosen Subway, as I tend to avoid processed junk food. I wouldn't have tried bread so early post op either. When I started on solids I tried things like Melba toasts with soft cheese or ham, meat with steamed vegetables and gravy/sauce.

I also just ate normal low fat/ sugar foods, things like poached fish, chicken, eggs, small amounts of fruit mixed with Greek yogurt. Everybody is different though and you just have to find what works for you. Don't be afraid to try everything, avoid junk food and processed food and just see how it goes :)

Thanks, yeah I know subway wasn't a good option especially for the bread lol. But since it went down so well I just got excited. Believe me I might slip from time to time and have some but not on a regular. Thanks again for your post.

Hi Nora and welcome :) I can't answer your question as I haven't reached that stage yet but wanted to wish you luck trying out foods! x x

Hi Nora and welcome :) I can't answer your question as I haven't reached that stage yet but wanted to wish you luck trying out foods! x x
Thanks for that, but when you do reach that stage be careful. Even with the foods we can eat. Sunday I had some chinese noodles and shrimp but AGAIN got happy and it all but paid for it the next day. I was sick at work and even had to call in today. So...again even with the right foods we have to go easy. I like how my mom put it...its a trial and error period lol.

Are you weighing/measuring out portions? Are you sick on just a bite? Yes, it's trial and error for sure!

I've never been sick from something the next day, that's odd!

I usually do measure but not formally with a scale, basically I use a very small plate for my meals. But with certain foods even after eating I still feel hungry like with the chinese. At this point unfortunately there are alot of meats I cant tolerate like chicken, fish even pork. With some things it does only take one spoonful and I'm done...but on the foods that goes and stay down good I'm learning to enjoy but be balanced.

I've never been sick from something the next day, that's odd!
Well yesterday for lunch I did have some shredded chicken took one bite and everything was fine, took another and ten mins later I was throwing up for almost an hour. Don't mean to sound gross but everthing from the day before came up too. Thankfully my 3rd post op appt was yesterday so I talked to my surgeon about it. Surprisingly he said things like that can happen up to three months out.

Back